Lithium iron phosphate batteries on sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
I was looking at LiFEPO4 batteries for my house bank. They are running around $950 to $999 each. Just found the Lion Energy UT 1300 in a 2 pack at Costco for $1399 with free shipping. The sale is good until 9/27. I just joined Costco for $60 just to get these batteries. They have a lifetime warranty on them. No affiliation.

I believe they are pretty comparable but with a lifetime warranty instead of BB 10 year warranty with the last 2 years prorated. Also the BB are $949 each. So for $700 each they seem like a good deal???

About the same as a Firefly.

I'm weighing the carbon foam vs the Lifepo4 stuff- found out today that my charger is 100% compatible (yay!)....now have to just make the call if I'm going to separate the house bank (inverter/charger only) from the start/genset bank (separate 40A charger and alternators) or combine the whole mess.

Challenge is that the charge profiles are very different, and the current way we use the boat, we can conceivably have the house bank charged only via genset and keep the alternators as they are.

The price is rough to get past. 4 Lithium $3800 for 400 amphrs. 8 6volt Wet cell golf cart $1200 for about 450 amphrs usable capacity.
Will the lithium last 15 years? I think if they do, the cost could be worth it. In 15 years you would go through three sets of wet cells and spend $3600.

The price is rough to get past. 4 Lithium $3800 for 400 amphrs. 8 6volt Wet cell golf cart $1200 for about 450 amphrs usable capacity.
Will the lithium last 15 years? I think if they do, the cost could be worth it. In 15 years you would go through three sets of wet cells and spend $3600.

Indeed. I'm also looking at the weight factor and reducing the number of batteries for the house bank...

I can trade 256 pounds of batteries for 46 pounds. Also to expand my battery bank with 6 volt batteries I would have to replace the aft A/C that is a split system with a self contained system at a cost of about $2400 plus the work to do the install in order to get the room for more batteries. Plus the LiFePO4s take a charge much faster. Lifetime warranty. It is a no brainer for me. Plus my 6 volt batteries are getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:
Sounds like the case vs. moisture discussion in the video above might be a big deal on the boat.

I have not received the batteries yet since I just ordered them. I am not too concerned since they are in a dry location in my engine room. As to the case being too thin or something they only weigh 23 pounds. The case doesn’t have to be too strong for 23 pounds. They aren’t 8Ds...

In my experience (cruising with Firefly batteries), I think the ability of these newer technology batteries being able to charge faster and perform in a partial state of charge continuously is equally as important a consideration as available amp hours and up front costs.

4 Lithium at Costco $2800

Sounds like the timing is right with them being priced low and a great warranty. Plus no need to do any air conditioner work either.

Last edited:
If you are starting from GO, the costs involved in cabling and boxing all those LA batts gets to you after a bit further narrowing the overall cost numbers.

I searched the Costco site for UT 1300 and they came up. The price didn’t come up until I got logged in as a member.

About the same as a Firefly.

I'm weighing the carbon foam vs the Lifepo4 stuff- found out today that my charger is 100% compatible (yay!)....now have to just make the call if I'm going to separate the house bank (inverter/charger only) from the start/genset bank (separate 40A charger and alternators) or combine the whole mess.

Challenge is that the charge profiles are very different, and the current way we use the boat, we can conceivably have the house bank charged only via genset and keep the alternators as they are.

Peter,

Please keep us posted as you pursue this. We would love to know what you end up with, why, and after a bit... how happy you are with your choice.

One thing I have a concern about is the size and durability of the battery posts. Can 4/0 cables work on these posts? At an M6 size (that's under a 1/4 inch) and only 12lbs. torque it seems like it would make some iffy connections.

Tator

One thing I have a concern about is the size and durability of the battery posts. Can 4/0 cables work on these posts? At an M6 size (that's under a 1/4 inch) and only 12lbs. torque it seems like it would make some iffy connections.

Tator

I'm no engineer, but I see the contact area of the posts should be sufficient for the load- the mechanical connection holds the terminals tight, but should not be the issue.

I'm in CA. I typed "Lion Energy Safari" in Costco search field and found it. If you're in Alaska it's possible it won't show up. Hawaii and Puerto Rico as well. It's a member only item so be sure to log in with membership number or it won't show up.

Remember with lithium you are not just installing lithium batteries but creating a lithium "system." One problem with lithium is alternator burnout because lithium can "ingest" many more amps quickly than traditional batteries, thus your alternator runs hotter and over time will burn out.

So for example, a video on how not to blow up your alternator while charging lithium batteries:

One boater couple talking about switching to lithiums as a "system" on their boat and issues they had to consider:

RS... There are several external regulators that solve the alternator problem. In general probably a good idea to have an external regulator to get a better charge profile on your bank anyway.

Another thing to consider is the flat voltage curve you get from liFePo4. It is nicer to your electronics and appliances.

I have a Calb bank 360ah (about 320ah useable). Been using for 3 years now w/ no issues. Did it myself, and saved thousands at the time. I've heard good things about reLion, not sure if they are the same.

Last edited:
At that price, 12 years is break even. If there prices keep dropping wet cell house banks will be a thing of the past.

NOT if your pattern of usage gets you long life from FLA batteries. My first set of FLA 6v Golf cart style lasted 11 yrs.
Now that I have solar keeping them up, I expect a modest extension of that lifetime, to at least 12, hopefully 15 yrs.

Got mine today. They are so small they almost look like toy batteries. I will save a bunch of real estate in the engine room and loose well over 200 pounds. I am going to put on a 120 amp alternator on my starboard engine and dedicate it to the house bank. Will use the port engine alternator to charge the 2 start batteries. With an external regulator I will be able to set the alternator output to what I want.

Attachments

• B22DDF71-7342-486F-9628-D933644C3D2A.jpg
    B22DDF71-7342-486F-9628-D933644C3D2A.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 60
Another option for charging is to use a battery to battery charger. Sterling in particular makes some models that will work. This is mainly to protect your alternator.

NOT if your pattern of usage gets you long life from FLA batteries. My first set of FLA 6v Golf cart style lasted 11 yrs.
Now that I have solar keeping them up, I expect a modest extension of that lifetime, to at least 12, hopefully 15 yrs.
I have read several people who get 10 years out of wet cells.
What is your usage pattern?
My experience with car batteries over 40 years is that 5-6 years and there done. In the last 10 years on the boat 8Ds and 4Ds got 5-6 years. The 6volt house bank was 6 years 9 months. The 6 volts still had full capacity but they over heated during heavy charging due to internal resistance. I guess I could have kept them longer but the alternator shutdown on batt temp and was annoying. The casings were buldging when I pulled them. My house bank gets cycled 20% about 50 times a year.

RS... There are several external regulators that solve the alternator problem. In general probably a good idea to have an external regulator to get a better charge profile on your bank anyway.

Another thing to consider is the flat voltage curve you get from liFePo4. It is nicer to your electronics and appliances.

I have a Calb bank 360ah (about 320ah useable). Been using for 3 years now w/ no issues. Did it myself, and saved thousands at the time. I've heard good things about reLion, not sure if they are the same.

Like to hear more about your DIY Lifepo4 system....

A cautionary note: LFP batteries subjected to normal engine room temperatures will loose a significant amount of capacity every year.

Back
Top Bottom