Old 05-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The wholesale price for the Victron 3000 watt inverter is significantly less than the Magnum 2812. And when I was exchanging clients inverters, it was my initial order with Victron and I was buying a pallet full so received additional discounts. I ended up not losing too much money.

I sleep better knowing that none of my clients have a 2812.

Magnum manufactured excellent inverters for a long time when they were independent in Lynnwood, WA. After they were purchased by Sensata, the company philosophy shifted, the inverters were manufactured elsewhere and their customer support was diminished.

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #42

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The wholesale price for the Victron 3000 watt inverter is significantly less than the Magnum 2812. And when I was exchanging clients inverters, it was my initial order with Victron and I was buying a pallet full so received additional discounts. I ended up not losing too much money.

I sleep better knowing that none of my clients have a 2812.

Magnum manufactured excellent inverters for a long time when they were independent in Lynnwood, WA. After they were purchased by Sensata, the company philosophy shifted, the inverters were manufactured elsewhere and their customer support was diminished.
But wasn’t your faulty inverter made before they were made by sensata?

Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #43
Guru

The only issue with Victron Energy is their tech support. It's difficult to contact a human. Victron wants you to; 1. Read the manual, 2. Perform a system check, 3. Contact the distributor 4. Search the Victron Community.

No option for support from Victron.

Most of the issues can be solved via the above but unusual ones require a human.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
But wasn’t your faulty inverter made before they were made by sensata?
Sensata would not answer that question when asked.

Sensata acquired Dimension Inverters in 2007 and Magnum in 2014.

My inverter was installed in 2014. I don't know the build date.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #45
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I agree about Victron's tech support. It is modern, meaning community sourced. If you want a sophisticated DC system though, they have all the components, they are all networked, and it's a pretty open system.

When I called Magnum about the noise, they did answer the phone. They said, "Hum? yeah, that's what they do." I called again about the 85 ma not measured by the battery monitor and they said, "Yeah, that's how it's designed." Happier with stuff that works right so I don't need tech support.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Do the comments regarding Magnum inverters self ignition warrant a class action? Or is there an install issue, gotta ask?

My BMKs are installed such that idle inverter current battery draw down is measured, or so says my tech. And no, whether with VA meter or BMKs do I see much more than a 6 amp draw. Better check again.

Also, my tech says no problem communicating with Magnum. He has a hotline number though.

As already noted, years ago when my 2812 was installed Magnum was owned, located and operated by a different group than today. Shades of Xantrex management and ownership changes maybe. Who is to say Victron, Outback etc don't get caught in the same here today gone tomorrow battery power electronics trap?

BTW, I was considering a Victron isolation transformer two years ago. A large Seattle installer said they're noisy. True? I have no idea. My hearing is not too good. But I do know that transformer hum is normal in industry.

Now, off to some relevant issues. Coffee is ready.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #47
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My BMKs are installed such that idle inverter current battery draw down is measured, or so says my tech.
A correctly installed BMK will measure the idle current of the inverter. It does not measure its OWN current consumption, which is about 85 ma. That doesn't sound like much but in a month that is 63 AH.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
A correctly installed BMK will measure the idle current of the inverter. It does not measure its OWN current consumption, which is about 85 ma. That doesn't sound like much but in a month that is 63 AH.
As an aside, it is surprising what the current draw of everything 110v plugged in will draw. For us, 63 AH in a month isn't meaningful. Genset, shore power or alternators cover it in a few minutes.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #49
DDW
Guru

Problem is when in storage. You are down 63 AH and the meter says the battery is 100%.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Problem is when in storage. You are down 63 AH and the meter says the battery is 100%.
Doesn't apply to our vessel. We're plugged in at the dock 24/7, cruising or anchored overnight. The charger goes by battery bank volts so I'm not seeing an issue.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #51
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
So you can't necessarily trust the old names.
Excellent point. So many mergers, acquisitions and take overs, you don't know who owns who anymore...
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Do the comments regarding Magnum inverters self ignition warrant a class action? Or is there an install issue, gotta ask?

As already noted, years ago when my 2812 was installed Magnum was owned, located and operated by a different group than today. Shades of Xantrex management and ownership changes maybe. Who is to say Victron, Outback etc don't get caught in the same here today gone tomorrow battery power electronics trap?

BTW, I was considering a Victron isolation transformer two years ago. A large Seattle installer said they're noisy. True? I have no idea. My hearing is not too good. But I do know that transformer hum is normal in industry.

Now, off to some relevant issues. Coffee is ready.
The two inveters that experienced meltdown were installed properly by two different installers. The meltdown was internal.

Talked to a couple class action attorneys, who take class suits on contingency, and they didnt want to take it because of the small number of claimants. Not enough money for them.

A lot of companies, marine and otherwise, are merging or large companies buying the small ones.

As for the isolation transformer, they all hum. This is my third one.

First one was an Acme Electrical and it was real noisey and the output voltage drop was 5 volts or so.

Second was a Charles and less noise and less voltage drop. I keep hearing that Charles is going to discontinue manufacturers iolation transformers, but it has'nt happened yet.

Third was the Victron and hum is not minor. It's installed next to the inverter and they both hum and there is fan noise, but we don't hear them because of their installed location. Voltage drop is minimal.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #53

City: PDX
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Another Magnum 2812 fire while sleeping. From the pictures it looks like one or more of the MOSFETs or capacitors shorted to ground.

Magnum Inverter Fire - iRV2 Forums
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #54

I think magnum will see some loss of business after this thread! I know I won’t touch them now, nor will I buy a xantrex again.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #55
Guru

Thanks for that.

I've been trying to get the word out.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
I think magnum will see some loss of business after this thread! I know I won’t touch them now, nor will I buy a xantrex again.

I hope so. I've been on a crusade to get the word out.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #57
Guru

The RV thread gsholz linked should be worrisome for Magnum.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #58
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Magnum has a lot in common with kitchenaid dishwashers. Including mine.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #59
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
I will expand a bit. My professional world includes designing industrial equipment to IEC and UL standards. I spend a fair amount of time pouring over spec documenting rqmts for fire enclosures around equipment and something called single fault analysis. Not saying magnum did not do this; but a management group that does not fix it is near criminal. Maybe it is criminal if it goes to fraud. Does this box have either a CE , Marine UL, VDE, CSA or any legit mark? If so, the fault path could lead elsewhere. UL charges many tens of thousands to perform a safety analysis. But note there are near a dozen companies that are allowed to test to UL standards. OTOH , if the box in question has NO safety marks on it, its buyer beware in the US.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #60

So, now that I have my bitchen inverter, where do I mount it? I’m hesitant to mount in engine room in case moisture or smoke or something happens in there. But I’m hesitant to mount it in salon where noise, heat and apparently FIRE risk is an issue.