lights flicker when turning steering wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davethewave

1966 chris cavalier (33 foot) all guages and lights flash on and off while turning the steering wheel.I've inspected, but haven't found anything that would cause this.Any help is appreciated

Welcome aboard. Does everything else work ok? If so I would look for a place that the wires for the lights are in contact with the steering system and causing the lights to flicker.

Welcome to TF!

Sounds like a grounded issue. Wire rubbing across metal shaft of moves the wire when turning the wheel.

Either above or the switch panel itself is grounded to the steering and the steering connection to ground is compromised. Also check for rubbing wires in any moving part of the steering behind helm or in rudder area including auto pilot cylinders & such.

1966 chris cavalier (33 foot) all guages and lights flash on and off while turning the steering wheel.I've inspected, but haven't found anything that would cause this.Any help is appreciated

Maybe try adding another earth from the battery negative to the switch panel to see if it makes a difference. Maybe with a temporary jumper lead, as others have mentioned sounds like an intermittent ground through the steering system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom