LiFePo house battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live an learn. Thanks for letting me know Twistedtree. I have been walking around thinking I knew and did not. Not A state I like. So here is what I found digging deeper than the "Battery Experts on Youbes":

As you said, they are all Lithium iOn batteries and I though LifePo was not. As far as the Thermal Runaway characteristics of the most common chemistries are:

• Lithium Cobalt Oxide(LiCoO2) — LCO
    150°C (302°F). Full charge promotes thermal runaway
  • Lithium Manganese Oxide (LiMn2O4) — LMO
    250°C (482°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway
  • Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2) — NMC
    210°C (410°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway
  • Lithium Iron Phosphate(LiFePO4) — LFP
    270°C (518°F) Very safe battery even if fully charged

Source

That's a good summary, and sorry if I was overly harsh in my earlier reply. My frustration is not with you, but rather with people who write articles to address a REALLY important point and distinction WRT LFP, but who muddle it all up in a way that creates a whole different misunderstanding and spoils any credibility that they might have. The dogs, cats, and animals analogy is the best I've been able to come up with to characterize the more generic category of lithium Ion batteries, vs the more specific variants like LFP, LCO, NMC, etc., but not sure it helps. Confusion abounds on this topic.

That's a good summary, and sorry if I was overly harsh in my earlier reply. My frustration is not with you, but rather with people who write articles to address a REALLY important point and distinction WRT LFP, but who muddle it all up in a way that creates a whole different misunderstanding and spoils any credibility that they might have. The dogs, cats, and animals analogy is the best I've been able to come up with to characterize the more generic category of lithium Ion batteries, vs the more specific variants like LFP, LCO, NMC, etc., but not sure it helps. Confusion abounds on this topic.

While they are from the same family it doesn't get away from the fact that when people talk lithium ion and fire you and I know that they aren't talking about lifepo4.
Unfortunately, they think they are.

No worries. A. I have been on forums since way before the internet existed and always assume good will since text, with or without little smily faces, can often be garbage at subtlety of tone. B. There is nothing I hate more than being wrong.

I a lithium Bank in my boat this past February. What I didn't expect and it was very pleasant surprise is that the battery is charged up much much faster than a let acid batteries. I thought I two more solar panels to charge my lead acid thing but now I find I have way more than I need. So far they've done everything I have asked of them and more. I just bought 300 amp enjoy bots off of Amazon they are working well no issues

While they are from the same family it doesn't get away from the fact that when people talk lithium ion and fire you and I know that they aren't talking about lifepo4.
Unfortunately, they think they are.

I agree. The distinction is REALLY important, and educating people about is REALLY important. I just wish people purporting to be knowledgeable and informed sources would describe it correctly. Why get your point across with incorrect info when you can do the same with correct info.

Me too, but it's also great to learn new stuff so that makes up for it...

That is exactly what I meant. I do not take offense at being corrected when I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom