Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ted is in comic mode when he said he would be mindful if on a plane and getting sucked down. Hahaha

Ted is in comic mode when he said he would be mindful if on a plane and getting sucked down. Hahaha

No, he wasn't. He was serious. There are boats that get pulled down in shallow water at certain speeds. The Bernouilli effect says in effect that moving water has a lower pressure than stationary water. This means that the surface of the water drops down, forming a trough between the bow wave and the stern wave. The same effect impacts sailboats and airplanes.

I realize that and fully uunderstand the theory but if you knew Ted’s boat you would understand the “plane” comment. Humor at its best.

Thanks anyway.

I realize that and fully uunderstand the theory but if you knew Ted’s boat you would understand the “plane” comment. Humor at its best.

Thanks anyway.

Well it is 3:00 AM where I am....so will try to go back to sleep.

I couldn’t stay up that late, need my beauty rest. LOL

Just a word for those thinking Okeechobee crossing. We just cruised from St. Pete to Key West and going Key West to home today in preparation for a trip up the coast. Original plan was Okeechobee then head north but it has been below 12' for the last few days which puts the route 1 depth below 6' and with a 5' draft too low for our comfort.

Today's reading is depth of 11.90', Route 1 is 5.84', Route 2 is 4.04'. Too close for our comfort. May be a while before it's back up.

"Ah the joys of having a draft of 3.5 feet."

Indeed!

We have found the biggest time saver is being under 12ft air height.

"Ah the joys of having a draft of 3.5 feet."

Indeed!

We have found the biggest time saver is being under 12ft air height.

I have a plaque at the helm reminding me of such things. Frees my brain to think about other things such as "When did I use the head last" LOL

Those things are important until the seas build then big and tall are very important.

Back
Top Bottom