Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
Guru

iPhone navigation app?

I don't use an iPhone (or iPad) for real navigation. I do like to use the phone while planning a trip or under way if I'll too lazy to check on what the wife is doing.
I once paid for a series of Navionics apps and liked these. Then Navionics decided that they wanted more money and redesigned the apps. Of course they wanted me to purchase them again...
Feeling slighted, I instead went to the iNavX app and spent my money there.
iNavX is an interesting app that uses free NOAA charts but the interface is clunky and figuring out exactly which chart you want if you are not in the area can be challenging...
I don't really want to give Navionics more of my money, has anyone got a different favorite amongst the many nav apps for an iPhone?
Just curious,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
You could try iSailor, but it'll probably cost similar to just upgrading the Navionics. I have both. They both have some features the other doesn't, but are about as good as each other overall. No doubt others will chime in.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have tried several low or no cost iPad navigation apps that are discussed on Active Captain's web site: Navimatics, PolarviewMX and iSailor. I like Navimatics the best. All of these use vector charts, some proprietary like Navimatics and some NOAA based vector charts.

But I much prefer raster charts, but I have not found an iOS app that uses them like MxMariner for Android.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You could try iSailor, but it'll probably cost similar to just upgrading the Navionics. I have both. They both have some features the other doesn't, but are about as good as each other overall. No doubt others will chime in.
It is not the cost so much as the principle. I paid Navionics! I had the app and they simply stopped supporting it and wanted me to pay for the "new" app...
I may pay them again but it makes me cranky.
Bruce
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
It is not the cost so much as the principle. I paid Navionics! I had the app and they simply stopped supporting it and wanted me to pay for the "new" app...
Bruce
C'est la vie, Bruce. That's how they make their money, and they are not that expensive, and that from me, who is always a bit strapped for cash...

Having said that, I'm still using the same Navionics iPad app I bought at least 4 years ago, and I have not had to repurchase. Updated functions flow in automatically, as do updated maps as I remember it. How old is your iPhone/iPad app version..?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Bruce
Bruce I had the same thing happen to me with a Navionics app. I contacted them and explained the situation and they sent me a link for a free download to one of their new apps that covered my needs. I actually found them quite helpful. It might be worth a try,
Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Still waiting for someone to offer an app and plug in GPS for an Amazon Fire.

At $50, how could one loose?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
Bruce I had the same thing happen to me with a Navionics app. I contacted them and explained the situation and they sent me a link for a free download to one of their new apps that covered my needs. I actually found them quite helpful. It might be worth a try,
Brett
Interesting Brett!
I called and did not fare so well. Perhaps they reacted to my attitude? I can try again and see what happens I guess.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
C'est la vie, Bruce. That's how they make their money, and they are not that expensive, and that from me, who is always a bit strapped for cash...

Having said that, I'm still using the same Navionics iPad app I bought at least 4 years ago, and I have not had to repurchase. Updated functions flow in automatically, as do updated maps as I remember it. How old is your iPhone/iPad app version..?
Ha!
I can't remember when I purchased the originals...
I had a second generation iPhone though and I'm sure it had the navionics apps on it.
No question it was a long time ago but it has been 4 or 5 years since it stopped working and thus it was not that old at the time.
By the way, Navionics is the only paid app I've had that has done this. All others (that I use) have continued to be supported in one way or another. Some have offered updates with fees that are less than the cost of purchasing in again from new. I have no issue with that!
Bruce