iPad, WiFi on Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
We just bought an iPad and are amazed at what you can do with it. (at home) Ours is not a 3G, however, so we must depend on being in a WiFi area (like Starbucks) to access the internet. My question is : When in a marina, etc, how do you know if they (or other boats) have WiFi? Is there an indication of WiFi on the device? An Icon or some other indication that you are in a WiFi area?

Signed by a wireless challenged user.

Go to the App store and search for "WiFiFoFum".* I have it on my iPhone and it lists wifi in your location.

Not having an iPad but an iPhone, going to Settings > Wi-Fi, it lists any wi-fi it finds. Is this not the same on the iPad?

Get yourself a MiFi from Verizon Wireless. This is a 3G hotspot that allows you to connect anywhere you have cel service. I bought one for my iPad and it also allows up to five devices to be connected to it at once. When traveling you can (as a passenger) be surfing the Internet as you roll along. I bought this little unit (about the size of a credit card) because I also have a verizon USB air card for my MacBook and it works beautifully. I get an average speed of about 1.5 Meg down which is good enough to watch my Netflix streaming. There is a 5 GB cap so you have to watch your usage when streaming video, but I have never gotten closer than about 4 GB on a heavy use month so the cap is really no big deal, and now that I have 2 cards I have all the Internet I need wherever and whenever I want it.

MP

I've heard the Mifi is way faster than the air card? Have you noticed this?

MP,

I have an air card from Verizon as well with unlimited air time (old account)*and looked at the MiFi card you are talking about because my wife and I share the air card back and forth when we are on the boat.

My question are do you have to have a data plan on your phones for the MiFi card*and what is the monthly on the MiFi card?* Also which do you use most and will you drop the air card eventually?

Thanks

JD

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 07:46:17 AM

JD

I'm in the middle of trying to find out monthly costs. If you don't care about $$, all is possible. Obfuscation (intentional me thinks) *reigns and*Verizon et al want a 2 year plan. *All the technology is there to do neat things and connect wherever your cell phone connects - albeit slow at times. E-mail is easy and no extra charge on any of today's cell phones. It is the internet connection that costs the $ - in our case at least an additional $700 - $1500/year for both US and Canada. But for my US and Canada cruising combined it seems a waste of money vs waiting until I am in a marina/hotel/library that has* the normal internet hookups to my laptop- either wifi or hard wire at the "desk"

In northern BC and SE Alaska - Via my cell phone I can call friends or relatives that can pull up NOAA or Env Canada marine weather quite quickly. VHF is spotty. Or go with Sirius for a few more bucks.*

Staying connected is not cheap, so keep in mind the easy alternatives. I get all the music, news and sports via XM/Sirius.

TG White wrote:
"Obfuscation (intentional me thinks) *reigns"

Boy that is the truth.* I do find you get a little straighter answers on the phone with them than at their stores. But only if you*probe a lot.* They know the answers but are trained to tell you only*what they want you to know.

I may get the card and manage some of the size of the downloads by just getting into the habit of going on line to Road Runner to delete the high MB downloads that I do not need or want instead of just connecting the computer and downloading everything.* I'm presently spending $160 a month between the two phones, no data plans and the air card.* If I add the data it adds $60 for the two phones.* I'm not sure where it ends.

It ends when they have your money and you don't. Nothing changed.

We are going through the same questions, how much do we want this vs how much do we need it vs how many $$ is it worth/cost.

Sheesh. Maybe I should go back to one phone on the wall with a party line connection - NAH.

We too are looking at a MIFI, for use aboard the boat and our trailer when we travel. For us the trailer use is the most important, largely because we are gone for longer stretches at a crack, with the boat being second. Where we boat there often is NO internet or phone service available unless you have satellite - way out for us.

I know we talked about this on other threads. I honestly don't know how AT&T works with iPhones and iPads referencing tethering. BUT.....you can get an Android device(all carriers have them now) or a Blackberry and you can TETHER your phone straight to your laptop. The only extra cost to you is the 10 bucks you pay for the app. Other than that, you enjoy the same performance at no cost(except the previously mentioned 10 bucks). I have it on my Samsung Moment(Android Sprint phone) and it works flawlessly. I do know there is a way to tether iPhones because someone on this forum gave a very detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to do it. Maybe you can tether a phone to your iPad.... Just google "cellphone tethering" or something similar and that should get you on track. The company that makes the 10 dollar app on my phone is called June Fabrics....they are likely the most popular.

PS...Sprint keeps threatening to limit tethering capabilities of their phones but they haven't yet. It is a very narrow portion of the market that takes advantage of it so I think their solution probably costs more than what they are losing.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forum.spark?aBID=115492&p=3&topicID=33884811&page=1&sort=oldestFirst
Edit...here is the link to that other thread...

Also, use the search function on this forum and search "tethering".

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 12th of May 2010 09:21:28 AM

John,

I thought about tethering and in fact asked.* But our friends at Verizon charge $25 a month to tether (couldn't get a straight answer as to whether that was per computer or phone)*and the required data pack @$30 puts me right back to the $60 I pay now*for the*unlimited air card.* With the card there are no Mega bits to Gigs bits conversions to worry about so you don't run over.

There is no easy answer it seems and the more complicated they can keep it the better they like it.* It is almost like the folks at Verizon (or any company for that matter)*that write up these plans either have spent time writing for the IRS or are aspiring to do so.

So how do they know that you are tethering????

John,

No idea but that might just lead to a good question.

I've been on Sprint for many years and I have a "killer deal for two phones" I would hate to lose. My wife is in need of a new phone and this new HTC EVO just might be the answer. Since we didn't buy the iPad 3G, it would solve that problem too! The question, however, is "how much per month?"* Do I lose my "killer deal?"

Nope....they do charge a 10 dollar premium for the 4G.....assuming you are already on one of their "everything" plans. I will agree. My wife and I are on a plan that absolutely nobody can come close to beating. I have been trying to go to the iPhone....but I am not gonna pay 75 dollars a month for it(that would be 75 more than I am already paying).....

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 17th of May 2010 05:15:06 AM

I have a 3G wireless modem here in Oz that normally goes into the USB slot of the computer

I have now added a Mobile 3G data router (Netccomm N3G005W) which sits in the office and the modem is hooked to an external antenna due to poor reception area.

I can plug in the USB modem into it and then I can access the internet using wifi for up to I think 5 items or maybe more

Perfect if you are running a couple of lappies etc and you can be anywhere within wireless range

Allan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom