Old 10-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Inverter tech

Do you know any electronics tech in the PNW area, who is able to troubleshoot inverters? I have a Xantrex inverter/charger which is practically brand new, but it had a short during the installation. It was my mistake and I would pay a reasonable price for the repair, since it has never been used.
I have taken it to Xantrex authorized service center and I was told that there was nothing they could do. No details were given. Go figure.
I need someone who is willing to take the effort and go through the boards inside to see, which one is dead, or what parts?
Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	121976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	121978Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	121979
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are companies and individuals online that fix all manner of boards. Probably whole units. Do a search.
I've had boards fixed from radar to electric appliances. It worked for me. Usual cost a few years ago was about $100.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
The challenge is that if you can't see something burnt, it's unlikely anyone can figure out what was damaged. In order to do that type of work, you need schematics and diagnostic information from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers even go so far as to remove the component ID lettering from the individual components, and many surface mount components don't even have any identifying marks on them at all anyways.

Someone with experience can identify some basics, PTCs (auto resetting circuit breakers), fuses, etc... that are hard mounted on the boards and test/replace them, but if it isn't one of those things, it ranges from very hard to impossible without some level of support from the manufacturer. At some point you'd think we'd realize that making things repairable and last longer is the ultimate conservation tool.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Did you check the fuses?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
A few years ago I took a defective Xantrex battery charger to their authorized repair person in my area. He couldn't fix it. He told me that Xantrex would not supply him with schematics or parts.

Go figure.

BTW: You say the unit is practically brand new so why not contact Xantrex for a warranty repair. You do not have to tell them it was your fault.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45

This repair video of a similar inverter might be of interest.

Start with the basics. If you shorted AC out there should be fuses. Just follow the AC out wires onto the circuit board.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A few years ago I took a defective Xantrex battery charger to their authorized repair person in my area. He couldn't fix it. He told me that Xantrex would not supply him with schematics or parts.

Go figure.

BTW: You say the unit is practically brand new so why not contact Xantrex for a warranty repair. You do not have to tell them it was your fault.

Been there, done that. I purchased my last Xantrex product with only a battery charger by them left on my boat. And when it fails it will not be replaced with another Xantrex product. Done with Xantrex!!!! There is better equipment available and for lesser cost.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
There are companies and individuals online that fix all manner of boards. Probably whole units. Do a search.
I've had boards fixed from radar to electric appliances. It worked for me. Usual cost a few years ago was about $100.

I did search it but not many options are out there. Out of state maybe, but I try to avoid expensive shipping. The Xantrex service center already charged me 150 and Iíve got nothing for it.
I could replace a board myself, I just donít know how to troubleshoot the inverter to located the bad part. Xantrex will not provide schema, which I could give to a tech.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
The challenge is that if you can't see something burnt, it's unlikely anyone can figure out what was damaged. In order to do that type of work, you need schematics and diagnostic information from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers even go so far as to remove the component ID lettering from the individual components, and many surface mount components don't even have any identifying marks on them at all anyways.

Someone with experience can identify some basics, PTCs (auto resetting circuit breakers), fuses, etc... that are hard mounted on the boards and test/replace them, but if it isn't one of those things, it ranges from very hard to impossible without some level of support from the manufacturer. At some point you'd think we'd realize that making things repairable and last longer is the ultimate conservation tool.

Yes, Xantrex told me to buy a new one.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Did you check the fuses?

Yes, that was the first thing. They 3 of them.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:37 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Go figure.

Warranty does not apply to Ď userís mishandling the unit Ď.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post

This repair video of a similar inverter might be of interest.

Start with the basics. If you shorted AC out there should be fuses. Just follow the AC out wires onto the circuit board.

Yes, I watched this one, when my Magnum died two years ago. (Was not my fault!)
The problem with this Xantrex that nothing comes on. So, it is difficult to troubleshoot it. The only thing works on it is the relay to allow AC to go in and out.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #13
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Toss it and buy a real inverter. You will spend as much trying to repair at $125-$150/hr. Plus you won't be able to get replacement board, even if you wanted to.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:11 AM   #14
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
If you were in Vancouver BC https://www.pysystems.ca/ Pacific Yacht Systems
Old 10-12-2021, 01:24 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
This thread suggests you have the defective unit. This thread https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ml#post1045067 suggests Xantrex have it and agreed to refund your $. Are there 2 units, or something else?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Toss it and buy a real inverter. You will spend as much trying to repair at $125-$150/hr. Plus you won't be able to get replacement board, even if you wanted to.
+1
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
This thread suggests you have the defective unit. This thread https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ml#post1045067 suggests Xantrex have it and agreed to refund your $. Are there 2 units, or something else?

Yes, that is a different model I bought this year. Two different units and threads.
The one we are talking about there is the latest model. As I have mentioned earlier, Xantrex told me to buy a new one, because the repair of this one would not be worth it. So I did.
Now I ended up buying two inverters and I have none. The first is in my possession but not working. The second one is returned for refund, but Xantrex is not giving my money back.
By the way, I have emails from Xantrex that my refund was approved for the one in that other thread, the latest model. They are just not sending the money. All I get from them is an answer like Ď let me look into this and Iíll get back to you Ď. Of course they never do.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:18 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

I would, but everything is in back order now. At least the good ones.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #19

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
What was the user error? Did you short the output or reverse polarity on the DC side?

These inverters are not very complex. The most common failure points are electrolytic capacitors and FET output switches. No schematic needed to replace those.

Unfortunately, electronic repairs are increasingly uneconomical due to labor costs unless the item is high value and/or impossible to replace.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
What was the user error? Did you short the output or reverse polarity on the DC side?

These inverters are not very complex. The most common failure points are electrolytic capacitors and FET output switches. No schematic needed to replace those.

Unfortunately, electronic repairs are increasingly uneconomical due to labor costs unless the item is high value and/or impossible to replace.

Well the user error was a very stupid beginnerís mistake.
While I was hooking up the wires, my wrench socket came off the handle and fell inside the unit. This model has a small opening at the end, where you secure both AC and DC wires. The AC was already secured, when I was trying to bolt down the DC negative, when this happened. I was trying to shake the socket out of it, not realizing that the shore power switch was on, so AC was alive. While the socket inside (socket is about 3-4 inches long) was moving around, something shortened and the unit went blank. As I said, the AC was still going through the wires, but DC circuit died.
I was also looking for something burned inside, but I could not see anything. I suspect, some part on a board went out, which prevents functioning. There are 3 fuses 150A on the top of each other at the wiring section, but after testing them they looked fine.