Inverter/Charger not charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewismd007

I need some help! I have an older Xantrex Prosine 3.0 inverter/charger. Recently it has stopped charging the batteries even though the green LED charge light on the remote panel is lit up... the panel shows that is not charging and my batteries have now fallen to 11.8 volts.

I initially thought it was the batteries (6V duracells) so i tested them and 2 tested bad and they were 4 years old, so I replaced all 12 of them...they are now all brand new, but the problem is still there. I have removed all power (both AC and DC) to the unit and let it sit for 30 minutes to "reset" it. I have also called xantrex tech support (they no longer service this model and were of very little help) Full disclosure over the last few weeks I have ran some electric heaters and tripped the breakers a few times. My guess is that I have blown a fuse in the inverter/charger itself, but before I remove it and open it up (it will require some boat yoga and a ton of tiny screws) I figured I would check here to see if anyone had an easy solution.

I had another Xantrex fixed under warranty. They also could not tell me what was wrong because all that is done is a circuit board is replaced, it works end of problem. Whatever is not working is too labor intensive to determine on an older unit meaning, out of warranty, bite the bullit and get a new one and replace it. Or get a 3 step charger and keep using the inverter function only.
You blew breakers 110V? has nothing to do with DC charge IMO

I found this response to a similar problem with a Prosine 3.0 on an RV site. You've probably already reset multiple times, but just in case:

There is a reset on the xantrex itself. Hold the reset button down for a bit May have to do it twice if it starts back up. You can turn on the inverter and charger off from there as well . The other thing to do to reboot the system including the silver leaf. Todo this shut off the 12v disconnect by the door then go to the bay and hold the reset button on the xantrex until it powers down then let it go and go turn back on 12v while the xantrex is powering back up. This links the silver leaf back to the inverter/charger. I had that happen once and called silver leaf and that was what they had me do . Every fired back up and started working again. Worth a shot.

~A

I need some help! I have an older Xantrex Prosine 3.0 inverter/charger. Recently it has stopped charging the batteries even though the green LED charge light on the remote panel is lit up... the panel shows that is not charging and my batteries have now fallen to 11.8 volts.

Inverters have a life span. If yours is as you say, older and not working. why not replace? For less than $2K you can get a suitable replacement. My new Magnum 2812, installed was that price and in Petersburg AK!

In the meantime any way you can charge up those new batteries?

My Magnum has a 400 amp (!) fuse just downstream. I know because i blew it once. Have you looked for something of that sort?

Last edited:
Follow post #3.

Factory reset cures 90% of inverter/charger issues.

I buy several "non working" Xantrex, Freedom, Trace and Magnum inverters every year at Marine Swap meets for $20 to $50 each.

Almost all worked fine after a factory reset. Some required an internal fuse replacement.

I've only run into 4 or 5 that were actually dead. Less than 5%

Those old Trace and Xantrex modified sinewave inverters were extremely rugged with huge reserve output capabilities and still sought by people who live off the grid.

They seem to last forever if treated right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom