Old 03-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Intellian Satelite Issue / DISH Network

My Intellian I2 starting having issues last weekend locking satellite DISH 129.

I just got off the phone with tech support and it turns out Dish just did an upgrade to the frequencies that will require re-flash of the bios on the antenna control unit (ACU).

You can call out for service or they will send a link for downloads and instructions to re-flash with the null cable supplied with the unit.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...est-25279.html

Looks like others have been having a similar issue - though without the level of customer support you have received..
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Here's the Service Bulletin that Intellian tech support sent me today. They recommend having an authorized rep come out to do the update, but this gives you the files and instructions if you want to do it yourself.

Dish Network Transmission Format Change
Patemey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
A friend who n my dock did that process for me and all is fine now. ☺️
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
TG

I did the update last night and now it tracks 129 but not 110 and 119. Thanks for posting the link, I'll read through it before calling Intellian again. The upload process worked without issue but I'm wondering if they sent the wrong library or maybe I'm missing a step.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Guru

How many dish "boxes" do you have? If it is one, then the number in the middle on the bottom line of the Intellian ACU should be one as well. If 2 boxes it should be set to 2, etc. This is easy to change with one of the buttons, I forget which it is but you keep pushing it as the numbers scroll from 1 to 4 then back to one.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
TG

I think I know where I went wrong. There are three uploads that need to be performed. The powerpoint presentation with the instructions sent by Intellian only show updating one file and don't mention the need to perform the other two updates but the instructions listed under the above mentioned link lists three files to update.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I understood there were two uploads to perform: (1) library file, (2) firmware.
You do need to know whether you have a B2 unit or a B3 unit, and select the correct file from the .zip file.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
You guys are lucky -- my KVH M7 cannot be fixed (or at least KVH isn't willing to sell necessary hardware/software, unless I want to pay $12.5K for a replacement system, in which case they will knock off $500).

Needless to say, I am not going back to KVH, but have heard nothing but good things about Intellian. Their S6 looks like the way to go to get HD on direct and dish. Anyone have any suggestions?
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
That really stinks...it would be like if all of a sudden the Air Force and other countries scrapped GPS overnight and we all had to buy something new for our chartplotting...and no ...not paper because our laptops would still contain charts where we could manually insert plotted positions...

I wonder...if cable layers can lay cables across the ocean...I wonder if I could just run one from NJ to FL and reel it back in on the way home.

It would be serving 3 purposes.

1. Great cable all the time...
2. The big reel would make me LOOK like a trawler...
3. Reeling back in would be a decent get home engine....

I wonder what cruise, military, and commercial ships are doing? Their systems are way more expensive to just toss. Could this just be a circuit board or simple programming fix that one of the resident cruising geniuses couldn't make a repair/patch for a lot less?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
THD
Guru

PS-great idea, but you would need find a way to add a bunch of "quick connects" to the system so you could sell access to other boaters along the way and get your trips paid for! Maybe a closed wireless system system on our boat so other could pay for the access.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
TG

PATEMEY, thanks so much for posting the link, that got me up and running. Needed to reset the Region Code as well.

The files I loaded on my I2 - B3:
ACU_BP_T1XX_4.30.fw
CTR_B3-nXX_4.75.fwx
B3_Series_Intellian Library_3.10.ilf

Reset Region Code - North America - Sand Diego
RePair Satelites - Select 3 for Dish
Set 110
Set 119
Set 129

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

TG,
Where did you find the ACU firware file? I'm not seeing it included in the zip files in my link.

Also, where did you find the satuploader? It too wasn't in the link.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Jeez, our system went out a week ago (at sea ) so this is timely. Thanks for the info. We will call Monday.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
You guys are lucky -- my KVH M7 cannot be fixed (or at least KVH isn't willing to sell necessary hardware/software, unless I want to pay $12.5K for a replacement system, in which case they will knock off $500).

Needless to say, I am not going back to KVH, but have heard nothing but good things about Intellian. Their S6 looks like the way to go to get HD on direct and dish. Anyone have any suggestions?
I don't know who you've talked to but don't give up on this until you've escalated it to their corporate office. Ask for a VP or the office of the President. Get the attention of someone who can force this to be researched internally. Often communication to and from the field is missing. I'll send you contact information privately.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Guru

I must say that I'm really pleased with Intellian. They recognized the problem and created a software update to deal with it. Our picture quality is perfect and it automatically switches satellites very quickly. The I-4 system cost less than $4K 3-years ago. KVH for $12K seems out of the ballpark to me.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patemey View Post
TG,
Where did you find the ACU firware file? I'm not seeing it included in the zip files in my link.

Also, where did you find the satuploader? It too wasn't in the link.

I called Intellian at 949-727-4498 and they checked my serial number and sent me a link to the software. You can check it out at this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaxylqv2y5vft4k/AAA1L_qIS7k_P0UyQjLJPvNka?dl=0

Here's the contact info from the email I received:

Gustavo Meza
Technical Support Field Engineer
Global Support Services
Intellian – Global Leader in Marine Satellite Antennas
Seoul • Pyeongtaek • Busan • Irvine • Seattle • Ft. Lauderdale • Brazil • Rotterdam • Southampton
Americas: +1.949.727.4498 Option 2
APAC: +82.31.379.1099 Option
EMEA: +31.1.0820.8655 Option 2
Email: Support@intelliantech.com
Web: www.intelliantech.com
Old 03-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't know who you've talked to but don't give up on this until you've escalated it to their corporate office. Ask for a VP or the office of the President. Get the attention of someone who can force this to be researched internally. Often communication to and from the field is missing. I'll send you contact information privately.
After you call, please let us know the result.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Thank you for the info, to which I responded privately. I will let everyone know how KVH responds to my dissatisfaction, but want them to have a chance to resolve this for the benefit off all of their customers before I make a personal issue out of this.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote