Old 07-04-2020, 12:12 AM   #1

City: Elliot Bay
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Intellian i5 and dish network

I had the dish installed and dish network is coming tomorrow and from doing some reading not all there receivers will work with intellian. Do any of you guys use dish with intellian and can you tell me the model of receiver that works. I would think they would have a list but they only mention a receiver that is old and discontinued.
Thanks

magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Wally model receiver is what you need.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So Dish is installing the reciever side, not an Intel tech?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Vip211z or the Wally. Not all the features of the Wally will work. Vip211z can be purchased for $49.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Wally, but you need a MIM module to switch between the three satellites automatically.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Vip211z or the Wally. Not all the features of the Wally will work. Vip211z can be purchased for $49.
You can add a usb hard drive to the VIP211z, call Dish for a one-time authorization and have a fully functioning DVR that records and fast forwards and rewinds live tv.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Guru

Not certain what features on the Wally do not work that I would care about. Also, a USB hard drive can be added to the Wally as well to serve as a DVR. I have used and have both, the Wally and the VIP211z, and prefer the Wally. Why? I prefer the tuning menus and the program guide of the Wally. One wouldn't think the program guide would be different one from another, but there is a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
You can add a usb hard drive to the VIP211z, call Dish for a one-time authorization and have a fully functioning DVR that records and fast forwards and rewinds live tv.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Question
I have everything working but am disappointed in how long it takes the intellian to re-engage the target satellite when changing channels. It seems to take 4 or 5 minutes.
Is this normal?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
Guru

Yes. Remember, channels are broadcast on one of three satellites. When switching to a new satellite, the equipment must find the new one. You'll get used to it. Unlike land-based dishes which are parabolic and can see all three satellites at once, the Intellian must be round and can see only one at a time. Sometimes the switch happens more quickly. One thing to remember if you move the boat to another service area (different local channels), you will lose the locals until you update your location through the myDish app. Takes two minutes. Also, many channels are on the same satellite so channel changes occur almost instantly. For example, all your locals will be on the same one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Question
I have everything working but am disappointed in how long it takes the intellian to re-engage the target satellite when changing channels. It seems to take 4 or 5 minutes.
Is this normal?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #10

Is there a list somewhere indicating which channels are on each satellite?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #11
Guru

I don't know of any, but probably. Please share if you discover any. In our case we just change the channel and endure the short delay which occurs sometimes.
Quote:
Is there a list somewhere indicating which channels are on each satellite?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Question
Is this normal?
4 to 5 minutes to switch? That seems way to long. I am on DirecTV (KVH) and the switching time is 2-4 seconds.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
4 to 5 minutes to switch? That seems way to long. I am on DirecTV (KVH) and the switching time is 2-4 seconds.
ASD, with Direct TV, you are looking at just one satellite so channel changes are quick. With Dish, channels are found in one of three satellites so the tracking dish must sometimes be re-pointed.

As to magna's question, switching to a channel resident on the same satellite should take only a few seconds, if that; for example, if watching a network local. Magna, are you tuned to the Eastern Arc or Western Arc of satellites? I am tuned to the Eastern Arc and have found better utility than on the Western Arc. Plus, in my area (Baltimore-Washington) the locals (network channels) are in HD only on the Eastern Arc. The Eastern Arc birds are 61.5, 72, and 77. The Western Arc is 110, 119, and 129. Although the manual suggests just the Western Arc birds, you can tune to either. It took me awhile to figure this all out but once you master the universe, it's not difficult.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #14

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
This link shows which channels are on which satellite

https://tbh.lerctr.org/~ekb/dish%20l...e%209-1-03.htm
Yes 4-5 min switching is quite long it may be due to some of the channels located on the eastern satellite which are difficult to acquire from west coast
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
Guru

We are on 2 birds on the west coast. 119W and 110W (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
ASD, with Direct TV, you are looking at just one satellite so channel changes are quick. With Dish, channels are found in one of three satellites so the tracking dish must sometimes be re-pointed.

As to magna's question, switching to a channel resident on the same satellite should take only a few seconds, if that; for example, if watching a network local. Magna, are you tuned to the Eastern Arc or Western Arc of satellites? I am tuned to the Eastern Arc and have found better utility than on the Western Arc. Plus, in my area (Baltimore-Washington) the locals (network channels) are in HD only on the Eastern Arc. The Eastern Arc birds are 61.5, 72, and 77. The Western Arc is 110, 119, and 129. Although the manual suggests just the Western Arc birds, you can tune to either. It took me awhile to figure this all out but once you master the universe, it's not difficult.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #16
Guru

Magna, I just now noticed that you are on the West Coast so the Eastern Arc is probably not viable for you. As for a channel listing try uplink.jameslong.name, very odd web address but it works. As for why it is taking so long for all of your channel changes I am now at a loss. Your network locals, assuming Seattle, are all on 119 for SD, and for HD are found on 110 and 129. Perhaps, at least for your locals, there is lots of switching between birds because of a HD/SD issue. We are subject to the vagaries of re-pointing to different birds. I hazard a guess that both latitude and longitude play a role in signal acquisition. Depending on the diameter of the tracking dish, at some point in the northern latitudes, a signal cannot be acquired.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The Intellian unit should take only 2 seconds to change channels on the same satellite and 4-6 seconds to acquire a different satellite when changing channels. Startup does take some time to acquire the guide but after that things are in seconds not minutes.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:02 AM   #18
Guru

Would that were true everywhere. I do not profess to be an expert but I think it's very much dependent on location (latitude and longitude). Where we are, sometimes it takes 4-6 seconds when changing satellites, sometimes much longer. And, I have great difficulty tuning to Channel 217 (Grit) for reasons yet to be determined, just 217.

Another thought magna, do you have a clear view of the sky? I was having an awful time getting anything tuned in at a new slip assignment. Turned out my line of sight was being blocked by a row of sailboat masts. Being in an extra long slip I had the luxury of moving the boat forward 15 feet. Problems solved. Two seasons ago we did the Great Loop. I can assure you that tuning success varied with location. So, IMHO, trying to reach a conclusion based on others' experience is probably not helpful too your particular circumstances.

I did go back and do some more research on the Eastern Arc/Western Arc issue. You may indeed be able to see the Eastern Arc. We are south of Annapolis, MD. Works better for us especially cuz that's where the HD locals are. I recommend that you do some googling. There is a lot of info at hand. By the way, you will be very surprised where those birds fly. It has nothing to do with the Eastern or Western US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
The Intellian unit should take only 2 seconds to change channels on the same satellite and 4-6 seconds to acquire a different satellite when changing channels. Startup does take some time to acquire the guide but after that things are in seconds not minutes.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I am not an expert on Intellian terminals but since the I5 doesn’t use a heading sensor a satellite change when the boat is swinging at anchor or under way may take longer as the control unit uses the existing satellite it is locked on as a departure point to find the new satellite. With that reference moving it has to default to a search algorithm that says satellite x at this lat long is at this elevation angle and pans the antenna back and forth until signal acquisition. That would account for different acquisition times.
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #20

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
I think intellian units have GPS. Do you have the required MIM module?

jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote