Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Induction Cook Top Power Supply

I am considering installing a True Induction 120V three-burner cook top. This unit comes with two plugs. One plug supplies a single burner at 1,500 watts while the other plug supplies two burners at no more than 1,800 watts combined. The manual calls for two dedicated 15 amp circuits. I have in place a 30 amp single dedicated power supply. My question is whether I can safely wire both plugs to this single 30-amp circuit. Logically, I cannot think of a reason why doing so would be ill-advised. What say the experts?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
The gauge of the wire between the outlet and the internals of the stove may be too small for a 30 amp breaker.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
You can't wire two 15A circuits directly to a 30A breaker. You need two 15A breakers in between. Better still with new wiring would be two 20A breakers with 12 gauge wire to 20A outlets.

FWIW I wired a two burner induction cooktop that shared 1,800 watts of power directly to one 15A outlet. Worked fine and I can't think of ever needing three burners on the boat and rarely at home.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You can't wire two 15A circuits directly to a 30A breaker. You need two 15A breakers in between. Better still with new wiring would be two 20A breakers with 12 gauge wire to 20A outlets.

FWIW I wired a two burner induction cooktop that shared 1,800 watts of power directly to one 15A outlet. Worked fine and I can't think of ever needing three burners on the boat and rarely at home.

David
Thanks David. I suspected as much. Next question. I don't need three burners either but the unit at which I am looking has one burner that draws 1,500 watts on a separate 15 amp feed. The other two burners with its own 15 amp feed can draw a total of 1,800 amps to those two burners. When using two, each side is throttled such that the draw is a total of no more than 1,800 watts. Using just one of the burners, the draw to that one is 1,800 watts so, using the three burner unit I can get a more total watts going to two burners. I wouldn't then care about the third burner.

As for the wiring, I would have to use the 30 amp feed to supply two 15 amp breakers and go from there. It's all getting too complicated. I'm now likely to just go with a two burner unit. Way simpler and I can wire it directly rather than through an outlet. The two burner unit requires a 20 amp breaker which brings me to another question. Should I change the breaker for the stove feed to 20 amps? I think so.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

This is the two burner induction burner that I recently installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shares 1,800 watts between the two burners just like two of your three burner stove.

If you were to install one of these, or just wire up the two shared 1,800 watt burners of the three burner unit you are considering, then it would be best to change out the 30A breaker for 20A and either wire directly with 12 gauge wiring or install a 20A recepticle and plug in with a 20A plug (the one with the cross bar on one leg). Even though a 15A recepticle would work, and is what I used, if you are installing one from scratch I would go with the 20A recepticle for its greater current carrying capaciy.

You could also wire directly with 10 gauge wire to your two burners (or the two burner stove above) as long as the connection is made inside the stove. Can't recall if the one I have can be wired that way. Looking at the pic of the bottom it doesn't look easy to get inside.

David
Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
This is the two burner induction burner that I recently installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shares 1,800 watts between the two burners just like two of your three burner stove.

If you were to install one of these, or just wire up the two shared 1,800 watt burners of the three burner unit you are considering, then it would be best to change out the 30A breaker for 20A and either wire directly with 12 gauge wiring or install a 20A recepticle and plug in with a 20A plug (the one with the cross bar on one leg). Even though a 15A recepticle would work, and is what I used, if you are installing one from scratch I would go with the 20A recepticle for its greater current carrying capaciy.

You could also wire directly with 10 gauge wire to your two burners (or the two burner stove above) as long as the connection is made inside the stove. Can't recall if the one I have can be wired that way. Looking at the pic of the bottom it doesn't look easy to get inside.

David
Thanks again David. I will do one or the other when we get back to Maryland after completing our loop. We are at Ortega Landing in Jacksonville till 4/15.Right now we are cooking on a True Induction table top model. We really need to have something more permanent for convenience and resale. By the way, I see that you are from Litchfield, CT. I grew up in Torrington. My brother still lives there. Two days ago he reported overnight temps of -2 downtown. No doubt colder in Litchfield that night.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #7

Well, right now we are in our condo at Punta Gorda, Fl where it was 85 today. We go back about May 1 to enjoy the late spring, summer and early fall in Connecticut.

The NW part of Connecticut is perfect at that time of year, but not so hot in the middle of winter .

David
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"
"The NW part of Connecticut is perfect at that time of year, but not so hot in the middle of winter ."

Hartford was 24F last night.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"
"The NW part of Connecticut is perfect at that time of year, but not so hot in the middle of winter ."

Hartford was 24F last night.

I know, summer is here