Old 03-20-2023, 03:36 PM   #1

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Bagus
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52-01
Inaccurate Airmar WX220

I have an Airmar WX220 wind sensor on my boat. Since installing I’ve always suspected it was reading wind speed too low. I purchased a handheld wind sensor and am getting a consistent 15 knot wind reading while WX220 is reading 8-9 knots. I’ve read the manual and have the WX220 mounted on a pole on top of my radar arch so I don’t think it’s getting dead air. See attached photo.

Any ideas why I might be getting inaccurate WX220 wind readings? I’ve looked at the WX220 manual and there doesn’t appear to be a calibration setting. I can calibrate on my RD33 but this doesn’t carry throughout the N2K network.
Attached Thumbnails
B824404F-06FD-42ED-8A1A-CFDF371D932A.jpg  
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #2

City: Huntington Beach
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Delta Marine
I have had the same problem with my Airmar WX120. It consistently seems to read about 1/2 of the real wind speed based on weather apps (and common sense). I'm in southern California and there is a red flag warning today with wind speeds of about 20 knots, and my Airmar reads between 6-8 knots, with gusts up to 10. I see no way to calibrate the unit and no help in the user's manual or FAQs.

I also don't think I have a dead air issue with my setup, although the VHF antenna is probably closer than it should be. But not a lot of options on my crowded radar arch. I would love to know if anyone has found a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1062.jpg  
NormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:16 PM   #3

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Bagus
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52-01
I’ve reached out to Airmar and will be returning my wx220 to have it bench tested. I’ve determined from multiple sources that it’s 30-40% off an accurate reading. I suppose they produce a few duds every so often.
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:46 PM   #4

I’d be very interested to hear what you find out from Airmar. Considering the cost of the sensor it seems like it should be more accurate. But you’re right, a few duds are to be expected I suppose. Seems like we maybe are the lucky ones who received them.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #5

Update on the Airmar WX120: I returned the unit to Airmar and they agreed to evaluate and repair it under warranty. They are shipping it back to me now. Notes from Airmar state: "Parts replaced include Ultem reflector plate assembly and wind transducers – passed final testing". Will see how it works now but at least it sounds promising.