Impressed with this GPS for my PC nav OPENCPN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought the GlobalSat BU353S4 puck. Just installed it this evening and will be trying it out on a cruise this weekend.

Who's charts are you guys using for OpenCPN?

I just clicked on the NOAA ENC charts this evening and selected "ALL."

Still going! :)

I just bought the GlobalSat BU353S4 puck. Just installed it this evening and will be trying it out on a cruise this weekend.

I've been using this puck gps for some time with great results, I always carry it and my laptop with world charts on all the deliveries I do so I have a go to system that I trust and know. It usually gets a fix in under 20 seconds.
HOLLYWOOD

Charts I use cmap93 and NOAA ENC.
Opencpn lets you prepare now all NOAA ENC charts with one click, which makes it smoother.

I thought about the BU353 but for me the cheaper option was this one for $7. The description said it worked with Linux and I am happy it does.

The aliexpress gps took 2.5 weeks so not too slow. It also would be good idea for a cheap backup. I may order another for a backup gps.

My first usb gps failed after 5 yrs. It was an LT-20 Delorme, and it was not the usb cable. I changed the cable but it has an error, so these things all eventually die I think. I had an expensive at the time Garmin handheld before the delorme, it failed, had Garmin fix it and a year later it failed again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom