Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
ID my depth transducer

My trawler has an ancient Furano LS 6100 display hooked to a transducer - pic attached. The display shows accurate depth and a steady 18kts of speed at the dock.

I snagged a Raymarine Axiom 7 from Defender for $400 & would love to ditch the Furano stuff and display depth on my fancy new chart plotter.

Can anyone tell me what I’ve got? Cable has “Airmar Transfucer Cable” printed on it but no other labels. I’m too chicken to pull it & couldn’t find any identifying marks on what is shown.

I’m getting my bilge cleaned on Monday and haven’t finished up my cable management project yet so don’t judge!
Attached Thumbnails
0B2C9553-C17D-45A5-8C9E-9D96658D5343.jpeg   57B0619D-B22B-4365-8C17-4CDEA2BEC8FD.jpeg  
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #2

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Check the other end of the cable to see if there is a marking there. It looks like my B744 transducer. Try Airmar for more info.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
Check the other end of the cable to see if there is a marking there. It looks like my B744 transducer. Try Airmar for more info.
Thanks - couldn’t find a cable tag but will check again tomorrow.

All I really need is depth - might it be easier to get a Raymarine shoot through unit that plugs right into my Seatalkng backbone?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
There is usually a tag on the display end of the cable. Airmar makes the transducers for just about every manufacturer out there. They look the same only the connectors are different.
Airmar has an OEM Cross Reference. Can you also post a picture of the connector?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:08 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I had a similar experience trying to ID an old one.
Airman indicated they mark the xducer end.
I found a tag on mine about 6ft from the xducer hidden from view.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
Thanks! Found it (6’ from the plug end) and you win the prize!

So now the question is how to get it onto my seatalkng backbone. Best I can tell I need an ITC-5, correct?
Attached Thumbnails
228D4713-CD4F-4ED1-97C3-CC188FBBDF27.jpeg   EAB09176-D5A2-41C2-8BBE-274166CE96C1.jpeg  
Old 11-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Axiom can have built in sonar, or not. Depends upon the model. If it's built in it is setup for either CHIRP, downvision, or realvision transducer. If it's not built in you might need a CPxxx series sonar module and a Raynet cable. Raymarine makes a dizzying array of adapter cables.

Frankly I think it is easier and cheaper to just buy a new transducer and install it in the existing hole. Or epoxy the old hole and cut a new one. (2 3/8") Total cost of transducer is $150 (chirp) and you can get 0, 12, or 20 deadrise.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Axiom can have built in sonar, or not. Depends upon the model. If it's built in it is setup for either CHIRP, downvision, or realvision transducer. If it's not built in you might need a CPxxx series sonar module and a Raynet cable. Raymarine makes a dizzying array of adapter cables.

Frankly I think it is easier and cheaper to just buy a new transducer and install it in the existing hole. Or epoxy the old hole and cut a new one. (2 3/8") Total cost of transducer is $150 (chirp) and you can get 0, 12, or 20 deadrise.
Thanks! I don’t need any of the fish finding stuff, just a plain old number for depth. I’d much rather spend $250 on an overpriced converter (ITC5) than haul the boat for another through hull. Swapping sensors is fine but it seems whatever I buy I’ll still need the ITC5? I don’t see anything that plugs right into a Seatalkng backbone. Would love to be wrong.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #9
Guru

does your Axion have built in sonar?
Old 11-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Airmar makes a splice box for when you have to cut the cable during the install. Maybe you could buy a cable for the Axiom and splice it to the transducer. You should call Airmar and ask them.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:12 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
does your Axion have built in sonar?
No I don’t think so. Hasn’t arrived yet but it was really really cheap.

I’ll give Raymarine a call tomorrow I think.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Lake Barkley
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
When I purchased my new Garmin chart plotter, I was very confused as to which transducer would work best for my needs. As suggested above call Airmar. They are very helpful and will steer you in the right direction.
Fr8dog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Guru

Airmar advised me to call Raymarine, which advanced me to "tier 2 technical support" then put me on hold forever before the line was disconnected. I submitted a question online to them as well.

I'm amazed that this could be so complicated. Makes me want to just get a $100 shoot-through Hummingbird and glass over the through hull next haul-out.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
Guru

You can put an Airmar P79 shoot through the hull transducer that directly feeds an nmea 2000 backbone. No hole in the hull so no haul out. Assuming the raymarine uses nmea 2000.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 11-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
You can put an Airmar P79 shoot through the hull transducer that directly feeds an nmea 2000 backbone. No hole in the hull so no haul out. Assuming the raymarine uses nmea 2000.
Not if the mfd is not equipped with sonar processing circuitry
Old 11-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
I don't have RV or DV in the unit - so I think I can't just hook a transducer into SeaTalkNG; I think I need an ITC-5 or something that can interpret the signal from the device. Tried Defender & they couldn't help either.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I don't have RV or DV in the unit - so I think I can't just hook a transducer into SeaTalkNG; I think I need an ITC-5 or something that can interpret the signal from the device. Tried Defender & they couldn't help either.
Well something have to generate and process the sonar signal. If you don't have a transducer connector on the back of the mfd then the mfd is not capable of generating a signal. If it not internally supplied, then you would need an external sonar module. Guessing a CP470/CP570 Sonar module as they are the only 2 that will work with Lighthouse III. The module communicates with the mfd via Raynet.

If your mfd does has a chirp transducer connector then it is generating a signal. You would simple need an adapter to convert the Raymarine 9 pin to the airmar 7 pin (or whatever it is) Note the Axiom may be putting 1000W out and your airmar may only be 500W. SOmething to check on.

If you are stilling using Lighthouse II then you may have more options. I am not that familiar with Axiom so I would recommend contacting a Raymarine installer.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
The P79 just outputs an NMEA digital depth sentence reading about 1/second. It is a number sent to the mfd just like speed or COG. Not a fishfinder graph type video display. I have a P79 NMEA 0183 type now connected to my Garmin 5212.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0680.jpg  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 11-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The P79 just outputs an NMEA digital depth sentence reading about 1/second. It is a number sent to the mfd just like speed or COG. Not a fishfinder graph type video display. I have a P79 NMEA 0183 type now connected to my Garmin 5212.
Yeah I just want the depth number. Seems I should be able to buy a Raymarine brand P79 for $150 or so and plug it into the SeaTalkNG network. But damned if I can find anyone to confirm that. Still baffled at why it's so hard to figure this out.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Yeah I just want the depth number. Seems I should be able to buy a Raymarine brand P79 for $150 or so and plug it into the SeaTalkNG network. But damned if I can find anyone to confirm that. Still baffled at why it's so hard to figure this out.
OK finally got through to Raymarine. Here's the answer in case anyone wants to know:

Not possible to interface a depth transducer directly to MFD (as So What stated) unless it's equipped with a sonar interface. Instead, I'd need to plug it into an I40, I50, or I60 depth display, which in turn could be interfaced via SeaTalkNG network. So a $350 display plus a $150 transducer minimum.

Tempted to just get a Hummingbird shoot through for $100 and be done with it. Something to be said for simple, non-integrated systems I think.