iCOM VHF Command Mic Feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VicTrawler

Vessel Name
Halcyon I
Vessel Make
1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
This is a problem I've been dealing with for over two years now. I have a stop-gap solution but I'd really like to get to the bottom of it.

The boat came with an iCOM VHF radio with a command mic for the flybridge. When I first got the boat, everything worked fine. Both the main unit at the lower helm and the command mic worked perfectly.

After installing a solar panel and a SSB radio, we left port and that's where this problem started: I could no longer talk on the command mic without getting a ton of feedback (high-pitched tones), and the incoming transmissions were also hard to copy due to interference. Again, this was at the command mic only. The main VHF unit continued to work fine. The first stop-gap solution was to use a portable VHF on the fly bridge.

Once at a different port, I borrowed a compatible command mic from a second-hand marine store (for a small fee) and tried it out. Same problem, so the issue was obviously not the command mic.

Many months later, back at home, and after doing a bit of research online (with very few results), I determined that the main unit was actually at fault, as it wasn't allowing the command mic to work properly. I went out and bought a brand new iCOM VHF radio with a brand new command mic. THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM! Once again, interference on the command mic, but no problem with the main unit.

So obviously a wiring issue, right? No problem, I'll re-wire the radio, and run a direct line to the battery, both supply and ground, with an in-line fuse. Keep the power supply as clean as possible. I've heard people say it's a good idea to still have power to the VHF with the battery switch off (in case of a fire) so you can still call for help. Makes sense. Win-win.

Except not. The re-wire didn't fix the problem.

Okay, back to the drawing board. What causes feedback on a mic? Usually it's when the mic is too close to the speaker. That doesn't really explain why I'd get interference when receiving transmissions, but it's worth a shot. So I connected an external speaker to the command mic instead of using the command mic's internal speaker. Lo-and-behold, problem solved! No more interference on transmission and no more interference when receiving.

So, that's the setup I'm currently running with (command mic with external speaker connected). I'd prefer to not require the external speaker, though.

Now, the question is, why would ALL THREE command mics that I've tried have that exact same issue? And if it's just a defect with iCOM command mics, why had no one on the internet reported the same issue?

I'm also trying to figure out if there could be any possible correlation between the solar panel and SSB installations and feedback on the command mic. For the record, I've tried disconnecting the solar panel and SSB completely, but that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Call iCom and explain your issue. I am sure this isn't the first time they have run into this issue.

Have you tried replacing/another location for the command mic wiring? I see that you said you tried a new radio, another mic & rewired the 12 volt supply but nothing about the actual command mic extension cable. If thats the case, is it possible the command mic cable emf shielding got damaged when you installed the solar? That doesn't explain the external speaker remedy but that's all I can come up with. Personally, I'd rather have an external speaker rather than that crappy little thing in the microphone anyway!

Have you tried disconnecting the solar panels and charger to see if the problem goes away? I've heard a lot of reports of cheap solar chargers creating a lot of electrical noise.

This is a problem I've been dealing with for over two years now. I have a stop-gap solution but I'd really like to get to the bottom of it.

The boat came with an iCOM VHF radio with a command mic for the flybridge. When I first got the boat, everything worked fine. Both the main unit at the lower helm and the command mic worked perfectly.

After installing a solar panel and a SSB radio, we left port and that's where this problem started: I could no longer talk on the command mic without getting a ton of feedback (high-pitched tones), and the incoming transmissions were also hard to copy due to interference. Again, this was at the command mic only. The main VHF unit continued to work fine. The first stop-gap solution was to use a portable VHF on the fly bridge.

etc.

Any ideas?

I would think it's an issue with the solar panel Charge Controller. Many cheap Controllers esp. MPPT type give out a ton of RFI that can choke out VHF, FM or any radio transmission, you can't really shield them or the wiring, it's just junk ! I have seen it first hand on many boats.

To verify your problem, shut off the Charge Controller and see ......

Re: Charge Controllers, you get what you pay for .....:flowers: fb

Have you tried replacing/another location for the command mic wiring? I see that you said you tried a new radio, another mic & rewired the 12 volt supply but nothing about the actual command mic extension cable. If thats the case, is it possible the command mic cable emf shielding got damaged when you installed the solar? That doesn't explain the external speaker remedy but that's all I can come up with. Personally, I'd rather have an external speaker rather than that crappy little thing in the microphone anyway!

I installed a new cable when I got the new radio, but it's in the same location. It's not really feasible for me to run it in another location.

Have you tried disconnecting the solar panels and charger to see if the problem goes away? I've heard a lot of reports of cheap solar chargers creating a lot of electrical noise.

Yes I disconnected the entire solar system and it didn't make a difference.

I installed a new cable when I got the new radio, but it's in the same location. It's not really feasible for me to run it in another location.

I was thinking just mock up the cable on the outside of the boat from the radio to the mic just to see if it made any difference.
Is the case of the radio grounded to earth? Again, you could just temporarily touch a bonding ground to the radio case metal to try it.

I was thinking just mock up the cable on the outside of the boat from the radio to the mic just to see if it made any difference.
Is the case of the radio grounded to earth? Again, you could just temporarily touch a bonding ground to the radio case metal to try it.

I like the idea of testing with the cable running outside of the boat. I'll give that a go.

Yes, I have the case grounded to the engine ground. No noticeable difference between that connection being made or not.

Hey Vic what did iCom say?

Just got off the phone with iCom and they had never heard of that problem happening before. Must be something unique to my setup. I will continue troubleshooting as time permits.

Can u hook the mic up close to the vhf?
Verify that receive has an issue too?
I’ve got some years as 2way radio designer and emc engineer.

And, i have had to fix an icom mic control issue with a much simpler icom design.

Sounds like the base unit isn't turning off the speaker in the mic when you key it.

Can u hook the mic up close to the vhf?
Verify that receive has an issue too?
I’ve got some years as 2way radio designer and emc engineer.

I'll give it a go and get back to you. I think I tried this with the old radio, when the problem first arose, and it didn't make a difference.

Have you tried hooking the command mic directly to the back of the Icom? Taking out the extension wire would potentially eliminate anything to do with the radio and mic themselves. I just installed a Icom M506 and command mic yesterday. The mic extension wire runs right next to the wires from a 300 watt solar system and I didn't have any issues when I tested it. (The solar system was putting out over 50 volts at the time in direct sunlight.)

Whats odd though is the external speaker eliminating the problem. A bad speaker wire in the extension cable? Have you tried a new extension cable (for the small fee of course). Moisture? I'm reaching here but did you try the Aqua Quake function?

Is it possible some other piece of equipment is interfering? Generator, fridge, alternator, AC unit etc? My old radio was wiped out whenever the refrigerator kicked in and I'm hoping this one will be able to reject that RFI. If not I intend to rewire the fridge. Right now it's CB is wired in series with other CB's on the main DC bus instead of directly from a battery bus which I don't like.

Back
Top Bottom