ICOM transeiver radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvnlife2

Vessel Name
LOTUS
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 44 aft flush deck
We have (2) ICOM IC-m125 transeiver radios in both our lower and upper helms. The lower helm radio speaker quit working. The radio still transmits clearly. Here are my questions :
- is this repairable?
- if not, can I replace it with a radio and are all radios compatible?
- if I replace it, do I have to get a new MMSI number or can I transfer my number to the new radio?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Tim

Lots of times you can add an external speaker to the radio with a bad speaker and the audio will work fine.

Mmsi belongs to the boat. New radio gets the same number. Actually all radios, AIS, etc get the same number. Only problem is if you get the radio used it will have the other guys number in it, that's a PITA, don't do that. (I got one on eBay once, never did get that corrected.) I second connecting an external speaker. It probably has a jack for that. I had an older ICOM that the speaker failed, I got an external and it was better than new. Bigger better speaker was much clearer. This was on a sailboat with the radio at the chart table, below and quite far forward. I could hear the new speaker much better out in the cockpit than the original.
Also, all VHF radios are pretty much the same. Power cords probably different but just splice in the new one. Antenna connectors are all the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom