Icom 604 VS Simrad RS86 VHF radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Singleprop

I will have a full Simrad navigation package, with Simnet and NMEA2000, the whole shebang...

A Simrad RS86 VHF will match nicely into this package, both with design and functionality.

An Icom 604 VHF does not fit in so well but there will also be an Icom 802 SSB, next to it. They will look good next to each other..............

Assuming that both VHF's are equally good ..........would it be better to go with the Simrad that matches the nav system design and that works well with the rest of the package or is it better to go with the Icom that matches the other Icom radio?

Singleprop wrote:
Assuming that both VHF's are equally good ..........would it be better to go with the Simrad that matches the nav system design and that works well with the rest of the package or is it better to go with the Icom that matches the other Icom radio?
******* I'd go with the Simrad as when it comes to VHF radios, there's really not a dime's worth of difference in the internal components. Some have more bells and whistles than others but they all work the same way. Working well with the rest of the equipment would be a priority with me. :nod:

Normally I would probably go with the Icom. But in a case like yours I would stick with a like type unit and as Seahorse has said with VHFs there is not a lot of difference in these quality type radios except for a few bells and whistles.

Since your only criteria is aesthetics the only person who can answer your question with any degree of relevance is you. What will look best to you? What I or anyone else thinks doesn't matter.

If you were asking about performance, reliability,,ease of service, etc, then there are some concrete things to address--- Icom has a factory service center in the Puget Sound area, for example, so that's a plus in their favor for boaters up here who are trying to decide on what radio to get.

But as to which one will look better? That's strictly your call I think.

Ha ha, looks are impotant for sure, but if you read the question you might see that there is also a little note about functionality.*

I assume that the radio functions and reliability are equally good*(customer or product service is non-existent in Asia - so is not really a concern)**but then the looks and functionality become important.*

The Icom is about half the price of the Simrad, but the Simrad is better integrated in the package, for example: place the plotter's cursor over an AIS target, press DSC and that boat is automatically called, the automatic fog horn has more functions, etc.*

I have not been able to find any reviews of the Simrad, probably because this radio is more for the working boats.

There are probably more Icom's out there which is a plus, but I am leaning towards the Simrad because of the better integration and because of the work boat customer base....and it looks better too...

Singleprop wrote:
There are probably more Icom's out there which is a plus, but I am leaning towards the Simrad because of the better integration and because of the work boat customer base....and it looks better too...
*Looks like you've answered your own question :)

Back
Top Bottom