in hull transducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timb

Guru
Vessel Name
true heading
Vessel Make
marine trader 38 dc
has anyone here used a airmar p79 .if so did it read thru the hull ok ?
I'm thinking of buying two. and installing them next weekend . one will be on a hook 9 .and the other will be on a simrad go7.

any advice on choosing a location would be appreciated .

I had one courtesy of the PO on my Hatteras that connected to a Furuno VX2 blackbox system and fishfinder. Worked OK; you need a solid glass hull, and have it away from as much turbulence as possible. In my case, it was close to the AC intake and I saw some degradation when going slow with the AC on. You also need to check it once in awhile to make sure there is liquid in the "well" it snaps into. Follow the installation and operation instructions to a T and it's a great value. In our case we also had a legacy DataMarine unit on the other side that was very reliable.

I experimented for a bit, put the unit in a one gallon ziplock bag full of water till I found a spot that worked well and wouldn’t get stepped on and I could access if needed.

They work well but it worth some experimenting to confirm loxation is good.

I have 2, one on the Garmin 5000 Chartplotter network and the other a dedicated inexpensive sounder. They work great!
As mentioned you can (and should) find the best location and angle before final installation. Don't mount them too close together to prevent interference.

thanks for the advice. I was thinking of mounting them on opposite sides of the keel . but I have less thru hulls on the port side.
sounds like they should work as long as I they don't end up on top of a blister.

Works like a champ on my boat.

I think mine with a e7 Raymarine unit (not powerful) lost bottom somewheres in the 900 foot range in the Gulf Stream. Also works great in the ICW warning me when below 5 feet.

Not too close to the keel so it "sees" it .... or chine that it might get aerated.

" lost bottom somewheres in the 900 foot range in the Gulf Stream."

The question then becomes is the depth sounder to find fish , keep you from running aground or as part of an offshore navigation system.

Some sounders will go quite deep and can be used for contour navigation, should other systems like GPS or radar fail.

I have one installed in the tank room of my AT34. Seems to work and appears to accurate. The object was to establish an independent depth sounder, in addition to the main depth sounder.
I am thinking about adding a second sounder forward to use at slow speed hunting the bottom before the bottom finds the boat.

I mostly want to keep from grounding . seeing fish or judging bottom type would be a added bonus.

sounds like good feedback I'm going to try it .

is a foot far enough away from the keel ?

Back
Top Bottom