How would you mount this transducer on a Zodiac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hickleyboy

The Zodiac is a 2001 YL480.

I am replacing an old fish finder with a current Garmin unit. I am struggling to figure out how to best mount the transducer onto the transom There is a lip on the transom and it angles from wide to skinny staring with the centerline out.
There is a bracket for the old mount, maybe it would be best to use that, but I am hoping to mount the transducer closer to the center of the Zodiac.

The lip is about 2.5'-3.0". What do the experts think?
Thanks.
Pete M.

Attachments

• transducer1.jpg
    transducer1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 29
  • transducer2.jpg
    transducer2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 30
Make a mount as mention above with starboard.

My Hawkeye transducer is just glued to the top surface if the lip with sealant/caulk. Therefore it shoots through the FRP. Out of the way & doesn’t get damaged on beach or on board cradle.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I mount with starboard, I assume it is easy to work with? Can I use a jig saw and a sander to make the contours match up?

So basically I just cut and smooth a block of starboard?

I used to use a block, but have switched to using angled fiberglass now.
qegK9WeLzHwj.jpg

GHeG2z2CNIym.jpg

Hope that helps.
S-

PVC block or FRP stock

I'd probably build out mounting block made of PVC lumber nicely shaped to the contours of the transom.

Used to use starboard but now use FRP stock. Lighter and more reliable fastening.

Hope that helps
Stephan

Attachments

• Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (2).jpg
    Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (2).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (3).jpg
    Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (3).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (4).jpg
    Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (4).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (6).jpg
    Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (6).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (7).jpg
    Pimentel Zodiac YL360DL XDCF36ATK021 (7).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 13
Mine is epoxied to the hull, beside the bilge pump, away from anything that might disturb it.
Shoots through the Fibreglass, without pause.

All good ideas.
Where would you find this FRP stock? What type of store? I like that it isn't metal and looks easy to install.

pete

OR, you could just use a suction cup mount from the manufacturer. They are easy to place with excellent retention. Any mount, aside from through hull, will risk strike damage from shallow water or obstructions. At least a suction mount can be preemptively removed, or should release before real damage is sustained.

Inside the hull

After trying several transom locations with my Garmin transducer and getting poor results from turbulence, I relocated it to the inside of the hull In an area where it was out of the way. Used a good layer of silicon making sure to eliminate air bubbles. It worked very well.

If you can make it work with Starboard then that would be good. Starboard works just like wood with the same tools. I usually trim it with a router or run it through the jointer to get a nice smooth finish. Lots of times I will make a pattern out of luan and use a patterning bit in the router to cut the Starboard to the finished size.

If you can make it work with Starboard then that would be good. Starboard works just like wood with the same tools. I usually trim it with a router or run it through the jointer to get a nice smooth finish. Lots of times I will make a pattern out of luan and use a patterning bit in the router to cut the Starboard to the finished size.

Unfortunately, while Starboard can be worked like wood, it does not glue like wood.

It can be glued, but you have to follow the requirements for gluing Starboard.

True, it doesn’t glue well. I just design whatever I am making to be mechanically fastened. One great thing about it is that it doesn’t require any finishing.

Is that limitation the same as in a microwave, where an AL disposable pieplate is OK, but a saucepan is verboten?
I don't know, just don't leave a fork in the pie plate.

Just what I read when installing mine. Yes I read the installation directions first.

Test it before you fasten the transducer in. Move it around and see where the best location is.

Why is a transducer in a rib / tender important?

Why is a transducer in a rib / tender important?

I fish and navigate from my rib. Nice to have mapping and being able to see herring balls and water depth. :D

Exactly this.

I ended up using the existing bracket. I didn't want to drill more holes into the hull. I didn't get to move it closer to the center, but I guess it will work well enough.

thanks for all suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom