how remove 4D battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
One of these days (not right now) I am going to have to replace the two 4D house batteries in my boat. I was checking the water level the other day, and was kind of wondering how in the world I would be able to get them out when the time comes. Very cramped down there, and those appear to be heavy suckers! So how does one go about doing that? What is the trick?

John

We have a 4d start battery that we will need to replace one day. I've already warned all my stronger friends that they will be called to duty to assist. No easy way I can see, other than several extra hands and some rope. We did replace our 6volt batteries this season and it was all I could do to lift them out of the engine room to hand off to an friend who would then take them out the pilot house door to the dock. The golfcart batteries weigh about half the 4d. When the 4d goes, I think we may replace it with two 6 volts.

Same here. I will replace the 4D's with 6-volt Trojans, wired in series/parallel. I'm not sure I have any strong friends. All my friends are old codgers, like me. :) My ex is strong, but I doubt I could get her to come down and help. So I thought there might be a recognized way of doing it. Perhaps some sort of hydraulic arm that just comes in and lifts them up and out.?

I wish I knew a trick. A 4D weighs about 130 pounds of stupid back breaking heavy. It's a two man job usually in just enough space for a small boy. Don't try it without help. If you ever do get the damn things out, try to figure a way to replace them with multiple smaller batteries. I've spent a lot of time and money on physical therapy because of those damn things.

What a bunch of wimps! :flowers::D

We have 8 D batteries which are twice as heavy. What I have done is use a hydrailic jack to lift one end, slide a pipe through the battery straps and lift the other end, but it still takes a lot of strength. High heels and pink toe nails toughen you up!;):D:facepalm:

I just pulled out an 8D and it went much easier than I expected.

First, it had handles, so that helped. If it didn't you'd need a lifting strap. It would have been better if I'd let the water (acid) level get down a little, first, but in the end none spilled.

Using wood blocks laying around the marina from winter boat storage, I made a platform exactly as high as my battery box, and as long as the battery, right up against it. Your layout may be different, but the trick here is to make sure you only have something outside the box to drag it onto, or at least lever it onto.

I just pulled one side up until it rested on the side of the box and blocks, then levered the other side up and slid it out.

From there it was a straight drag to a place where two of us could get a good lift out.

Make sure you have scrap cardboard or plywood or whatever on the cabin sole and especially wherever you need to go through a hatch or over a gunwale.

Oh, and I replaced it with four 6V golf cart batteries. Never have to do that job again, and almost doubled my amp-hour capacity in just a slightly larger footprint. There was room for a 2nd 8D in the box, but the PO only had two starting batteries there, so I had the room.

This weekend I needed to replace my generator start battery. It was a 4D equivalent (slightly different dimensions). In order to remove the 4D I first needed to remove the 8D main starter battery that sits in front of the 4D. Both were under the sole not allowing a straight up lift. The "tricks" I have found that work quite well are to (1) duct tape the battery box to the battery, so that when lifting the battery the box travels with it. This simplifies the lift because you do not need to lift the battery out of the box. Perhaps your situation does not require this, but if it does, also do this when replacing the new battery in its space with the box attached. (2) pass a dock line through the carrying handles of the battery. This is much easier to lift than the thin handles themselves. I was able to lift the 8D high enough to get it in and out of its position for the 4D removal/insertion. I was easily able to lift the 120lb 4D from the engine room straight up to the deck, but would not have been able to lift the 8D on my own. That is a 2-man job. My Full River 8D AGM's weigh about 200lb each!!!

Last edited:
It is a very simple task. You disconnect the cables and have a dolly ready on the dock. Hire a strong young man to lift the battery out of the boat and onto the cart, which he then pushes to where ever you want the old battery. Reverse the process with the new battery! If you have been smart enough to accumulate enough money to buy the boat in the first place you should be smart enough not to lift a battery!

EXACTLY!

Find a strapping young buck who has a friend and want to make a quick $50. :)

Get a case of Bud or whatever crap youth drink today and after everything is ready grab a couple of big guys from the dock some weekend.

Should take 5 min if you're all set out and in , a great deal for you and the beef.

FF you are dead right, BEER the international currency.
A slab of beer will buy much more than the equal cash value.
Cheers
Benn
Around the marina a bottle of rum buys even more.

My son helped me pull 2- 8Ds. He is a big old boy. When we got to the battery shop he lifted both of the truck by himself and set them on the recyle rack. The store owner told him "son you might want to take it a little easier. You may need those jewels some day"

John,

A couple of years ago soon after we got the boat, and all of this was new to me, I fashioned this little tool out of some garden lumber that I had laying around. Was not sure it would work, but turned out to be a great tool and I have kept it for the life of the boat.

The boat turned out to have a 5-cell, 8D start battery amidships that was in the way and obviously did not work very well. I replaced it with a 6-cell 4D and relocated the 4D back near the Starter where it belonged.

With this, the little Lady and I were able to muscle the 8D out and the 4D back into the boat, behind the Port fuel tank; and the Lady is not much bigger than the 4D, but all Pitt-bull.

Maybe this will get your creative juices flowing.

Have fun, and good luck!

Attachments

• Battery Carrier.jpg
    Battery Carrier.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 163
I've had to change-out my 8D's twice in the last two years, but I don't know how much longer I can manage that job solo. Asking my Admiral to help me with something like that would get me a back-hand. I'm able to reach the corner on both battery boxes, lift the box out of its base, and slide the things forward enough to get a decent overhead lift. It takes moving a couple of hoses and adding some blocks of wood to slide upon, but you gotta get a pretty straight pull to get them out of the battery case. Good luck.

One battery company was making 12 volt 1/2 8D batteries to solve this problem. They were the same width but half as long so two would fit in the same space as one 8D. Unfortunately I can't remember who made them.
I wish they would make a 1/2 4D.

For folks with both the room and Buck$, Surette has battery banks made of single 2V cells.

Easy to move and superb as house batts , IF you can afford them.

For starting many folks will use a pair of Series 31 , that is as powerful as most 8D in terms of CCA.

Sea Ray stopped using big batteries for everything but their Cat 3406s years ago.

All their starting banks were 2 group 27's in parallel, even for the Cat 3126s and Cummins series.

For my Lehman I just dropped from an 8D to a single 900 CCA ($100) whatever (looks like a group 27 in size)...works fine..can combine with golf carts if necessary.

When I my 8 Ds changed in Panama City FL the seller took out the old ones and installed the new for a minimal charge. 3 guys, the two in their 20s watched while the mid 40s guy got in the hole and pulled them out and handed off to the other two. The seller will credit you a few dollars for the old ones anyway.

Capt Tom is quite right leverage and slide - protect the deck with cardboard - have a water hose ready and wear throw away clothes if you spill acid. The hardest part for me was horsing it from the cockpit floor over the rail and onto the dock but lever and drag worked singlehanded. With a little protection it did not even scratch my varnished rail.

This is a job that I pay someone to do.

After 10 visits to my chiropractor, it's much cheaper that way.

Lifts of 8D's are still OK for me, but with all the weird angles you have to use for the average change-out, it's enormous stress on anyone. Trouble is, I don't know anyone else I'd trust to do it. I had my oil cooler pulled out a couple of months ago, and they dropped it in the veranda before stepping to the doc, splattering black oil all over my natural teak deck. I rushed to remove the stain, but eventually had to sand the whole deck to get it out. Nobody is as careful as you are with your own boat.

Last edited:
Lifts of 8D's are still OK for me, but with all the weird angles you have to use for the average change-out, it's enormous stress on anyone. Trouble is, I don't know anyone else I'd trust to do it. I had my oil cooler pulled out a couple of months ago, and they dropped it in the veranda before stepping to the doc, splattering black oil all over my natural teak deck. I rushed to remove the stain, but eventually had to sand the whole deck to get it out. Nobody is as careful as you are with your own boat.

They didn't have insurance?

Great idea to duck tape the battery to the box even with 4d batteries. Removed my 8ds years ago with boards and then slid them up a 2x6 board by pusing them up rather than trying to lift them straight up. I also used a come-along to slide them out from the sides of the engines in my Californian 34. Replaced the 8ds with twice as many 4ds and repositioned them in the center of the boat for easy access. No more crawling around the engines and now I can check the batteries more often.

Back
Top Bottom