How do you manage wires in your engine room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone using wire mesh cable trays along the ceiling of their engine rooms? Seems like an easy solution and would reduce the heat build up.

Something like:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 225
I don't like the thought of a wire chafing and shorting out on the wire cable trays. With vibration and heat it's a bad combination. Potential fire.

Cable Management made easy is an oxymoron. Just like Jumbo shrimp. While good cable management can be done, it will never be easy. Since I have always inherited the spaghetti from hell wiring system, I have never had a boat that had neat and tidy wiring. However, every time I need to replace something, I review all associated wiring and make sure that it is done correctly and in an organized fashion. This does improve the spaghetti mess over time.

As to zip ties. Start using the self trimming zip ties. You will never be cut by a self trimming zip tie and they require no tools.

Is anyone using wire mesh cable trays along the ceiling of their engine rooms? Seems like an easy solution and would reduce the heat build up.

Something like:

I don’t think using wire cable trays is a bad idea. Just secure any wires as they enter or exit the tray. I use the stuff all the time on industrial equipment with more vibration and movement than a boat gets. Never had any chafing issues. You can also add a tywrap here and there to keep everything from moving around.
I think just about any strategy that you actually adhere to is fine. The problem happens when you add something and don’t take the time to properly route the wires with rest of the bundle.
I use a combination of panduit, conduit, and open looms. Whatever fits the situation. If you want to avoid breaking open those nicely made looms you need to include spare wires that you can access later.
I use plenty of tywraps too, but use a little tool made to tension and trim them in one easy step. Roll the trimmed end out of the way. Easy peasy.

@Mule #25:
The ABYC Electrical Standard and the ISO Standard require that conductors be supported along their entire length or secured at least every 18".

Something like:

I would not use a wire grid basket like that. Too much potential for vibration to chafe through the insulation, and then you've got the whole frame to act as a conductor. Nylon/plastic raceways exist and would be a lot "less worse".

When I bought Sea Robin (GB 42 E) her electrical had been unattended for several years. Here is a picture of her wheelhouse ( area which holds the breakers and various switches)
the day I bought her:

AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO ATTACH THE PHOTO IN MY IPAD ?????

ER Wiring

I think I figured it out, thanks to an earlier poster:

6DAFE8AB-A877-40E2-A84C-A624C638FCA4.jpg

I think I figured it out, thanks to an earlier poster:

View attachment 129728
Previous posts focused on cable trays. This picture shows a panel that could use some organization. Attached is a picture of a backplane (left) where cabling between the panel (right) is pre-configured to the backplane. Load wires are terminated on backplane greatly simplifying wire runs and cleanup.

Peter Screenshot_20220616-191538_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Boy, that is a thing of beauty. Must have pulled all the old completely out and started over. Nice job. I’m afraid I’m too old to reach that quality. I just want to be safe.

Alex

Boy, that is a thing of beauty. Must have pulled all the old completely out and started over. Nice job. I’m afraid I’m too old to reach that quality. I just want to be safe.

Alex
I should have been clearer. That is not my panel, though I used a similar picture to show what I was looking for. I don't have a handy picture of how mine e turned out, probably a "7" if the picture is a "10". The key is the backplane where loads are terminated vs terminated at the panel. Allows the panel and harness to backplane to be fabricated on the bench instead in situ.

Peter

An example of my brother Steve's work. He started from a bare panel. The boat was a 1980 Sunk Yung (SP?) Marine 37' sedan trawler. The one I often refer to as the Green Boat.

Rob

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26
An example of my brother Steve's work. He started from a bare panel. The boat was a 1980 Sunk Yung (SP?) Marine 37' sedan trawler. The one I often refer to as the Green Boat.

Rob

I wish I had the time, patience and skill to do that. It's like a form of art.

I wish I had the time, patience and skill to do that. It's like a form of art.

I always referred to it the same way. It is art. Steves first teacher, a Chief in the Coast Guard, empahsized "neatness counts". He went from the Coast Guard to Hinkley where he specialized in larger sailboats. He now works for his former Coast Guard instructor who operates Kramp Electronics in Southwest Harbor, Maine.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom