Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
In the very wet PNW, how do the portable gas powered gensets fare when parked on the swim platform for several hours per day?
I have had mine out there in the rain like that once. It didn't seem to suffer any.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #42
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Well, as usual, even with reading all the posters on how to put a photo into a post I am not able. Too damn old I suppose.
I have a 2000 Honda. I have used such for over 16 years on two boats. It runs quite because I have it installed within a 100 Qt Igloo cooler located on the flybridge. I do not bother my neighbors ahead, behind, alongside when I run this Honda. No it doesn't get so hot to be a concern, Yes, there is sufficient air to the engine, Yes I can run all of my electrical components, A small AC fridge, which we shut off once we are on the anchor. It holds very well even with evening opening and closing several times during the evening activities. The toaster and or coffee pot in the morning yada, yada, yada.
No we do not heat the hot water tank. That is off the engine and any body requirements are accomplished knowing the water is hot at the anchoring time.
Water will remain hot or warm enough to complete the morning task and the main is started for the day.
We are a 28 foot boat so requirements are slight compared with you bigger boys.

How is the cooler employed? We cut out one end and had a metal frame constructed to fit the opening. We installed grating from our local hardware store in this grill opening. The Honda exaust and air combination end of the Honda is facing this grill . Aft of the Honda, in factory designed slots in each side, we inserted a plywood wall with opening cut in to allow the plug in of the electrical cord. This cord which has the marine electrical fitting to match the shore power receptacle, is stored in the remaining compartment along with a two gallon gas supply. The other end of the cooler has a slot allowing the electrical cord to be run out and down to the receptacle.
We run the Honda with the lid of the cooler closed in effect the noise level is nil at idle and while close by you can hear the action if the charger has a demand, not to the level that neighbors are concerned.
Wish I could give you pictures, darn!!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #43

City: Alexander
A good hush box makes for good neighbors.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #44
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Some people use solar panels to keep their batteries charged. Quieter and no operating cost or moving a generator around.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #45
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I have a Honda EU1000i for my boat. I have found that for charging the batteries the boat motor works a lot better and charges the batteries much faster (~20 amps). The generator is only used when we need 120vac and don't have shore power.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #46
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Some people use solar panels to keep their batteries charged. Quieter and no operating cost or moving a generator around.
Usually looking Butt Ugly scattered,looped, and hung all over space not designed for such objects.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #47
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	69818

I think not!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:33 AM   #48
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Attachment 69818

I think not!
Always an exception-
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
or two?
Attached Thumbnails
Dockside 13Flr1 crop.jpg  
Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

City: CT
A big charger that lets you derate the current works well.

Promariner and Sterling are two lines.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #51
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My promariner 50 amp batt charger derated to 50 percent puts 25 amps into the batteries from a Honda 1000 in econo mode.

Doing it as I post this.

Not perfect, but if it runs for 3 hours after the solar panels quit, it supplies power to a fridge. TV, misc lights and electronics chargers and tops off the batteries for overnight. Usually the Balmar batt monitor is down around 90 percent on 6 golf cart batteries so around 675 amp hrs battery bank.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

For batt charging purposes much better off running the genny in the morning when batts accept more amps.

Better with a good shunt-based batt monitor so you can see acceptance change.

Start off by getting bank to 75-80% before solar production ramps up, then let solar handle the low amps "long tail" rest of the day. Note when amps falls to .005C, and next day maybe stop the genny earlier.

Depends on weather, loads etc, but pretty soon you get a feel for it.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #53
Guru

Not my experience...and without knowing my solar capability you are making rash assumptions.

Better to keep the batteries topped than to try and bring them up unless you have mega charging...which I dont until my main genny is fixed.

My method lets solar bring them up tomorrow easily, with all day sun and less amp demand. If I ran the genny in the morning, much of my solar generation would go wasted on already topped batteries.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

I'm talking standard best practice, but yes your use case may be exceptional, like if you only run loads while the sun is high in the sky.

Just know between 50-80% an AGM 200AH bank might accept that 60A in 30 minutes.

But getting from 95% to true 100% Full, the last 10 Amps will take 2-3 hours, because toward the end the bank can't accept more than a 1-3A charge rate.

If the solar isn't getting to the 100% point, you might only need 30 min or an hour genny charging in the AM.

But "topping up" end of the day you're wasting the vast majority of your fuel.

Unless running the genny for other purposes anyway, doing laundry or something.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/e...on_agm_battery
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm talking standard best practice, but yes your use case may be exceptional, like if you only run loads while the sun is high in the sky.

But getting from 95% to true 100% Full, the last 10 Amps will take 2-3 hours, because toward the end the bank can't accept more than a 1-3A charge rate.

If the solar isn't getting to the 100% point, you might only need 30 min or an hour genny charging in the AM.

How Fast Can an AGM Battery Be Charged..? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
What type of system do you run on your boat, John? Genset? Honda gen? What make and size charger?

If you have a boat, do you ever charge in the PM?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #56
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
We have the generator strictly for backup and have not needed to use it. We do start it occasionally to make sure it works.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:14 AM   #57
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I had all these problems and used several gennies but found them limited and annoying noise for both myself and neighbours.
I took a different approach and fitted a larger alternator with an Adverc alternator controller, solar panels and reduced wattage consumption on all things electrical.

I have a 4 KW inverter which drives a 1KW water heater(when not cruising) an 850 watt kettle etc.
My approach is to reduce wattage, reduce consumption whilst keeping maximum comfort.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

How Fast Can an AGM Battery Be Charged..? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
......"best practice"?...there is none that I know of.

For that, certain things must exist...

Few boats are set up exactly the same, like I dont have AGMS, nor will probably ever own them. Plus dc usage at different times of the day. All sorts of variables your "best practice" doesnt cover for "real cruising" issues.

PLUS if closely read, I did say I derated the charger to accomodate the Honda 1000 because my big genny is awaiting parts.

My guess, like a lot of info tossed out on this forum, read somewhere, not applicable in all cases, not fully understood or learned from experience.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #59
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
We have the generator strictly for backup and have not needed to use it. We do start it occasionally to make sure it works.
Good catch Bob, Yes, with the 'Corn' in the gasoline it doesn't take long befor the varnish it causes, to plug up the small jets in the Honda.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #60
Guru

I hope everyone knows varnish is not an ethanol issue, actually just the opposite.

We used to add ethanol to cut varnish deposits and remove water.

When ethanol fuel first came out, it removed so much varnish from old fuel systems, many of my tows were because of plugged fuel filters.

It is phase separation from free water in fuel systems that makes ethanol a disaster.