Honda Generator Recall: Saltwater Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mostly, dont run them inside a compartment, be careful how you fuel it, and don't necessarily run your boats electrical system from one.

What it doesn't say is that " they have no place on boats"....or that your insurance won't cover a mishap with one.

It would be very prudent to get in writing from your insurance company that you are covered for any liabilities and any loses if you have a portable genset onboard.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/generator-safety/

https://www.boats.com/how-to/portable-ac-generators-safe-for-boats/

https://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf

https://www.uscgboating.org/library/boating-safety-circulars/BSC86.pdf

Have read those all and plenty more...they dont come out and say you should never have one on board...at least the vast majority dont.

They describe the dangers and actually make suggestions how to use one safely.

I have had insurance experts explain insurance and how it works many times. Just like this great misunderstanding about whether they do or dont cover you in a DUI accident.

You are just fearmongering once past saying they can be dangerous and understand how they "might" impact your insurance.

Last edited:
Have read those all and plenty more...they dont come out and say you should never have one on board...at least the vast majority dont.

I have had insurance experts explain insurance and how it works many times. Just like this great misunderstanding about whether they do or dont cover you in a DUI accident.

You are just fearmongering once past saying they can be dangerous and understand how they "might" impact your insurance.[/QUOTE\\

"Have read those all and plenty more...they dont come out and say you should never have one on board...at least the vast majority dont."

Quotes ...one from each of the links....

- "Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to doors, vents,
windows and hatches"

- "The bottom line? Don’t do it!"

- "Let me say right up front, that I do not and have not ever recommended using portable
generators on boats."

-"Currently, no
portable generators meet the Coast Guard
Electrical and Fuel System Standards."

"I have had insurance experts explain insurance and how it works many times. Just like this great misunderstanding about whether they do or dont cover you in a DUI accident."
Then it should be very easy for anyone to get their insurance company to get this in writing before they use any portable gensets on the boat.
Regarding insurance - just last November we had a meeting where many small business owners were talking and they had a slightly lower premium on their insurance. I had suggested they read the policies carefully and make sure that they included all of the items in a summary of our policy. Fast forward to today and none of them are covered for business interruption due to the virus as ours contains.
How little time can it take to confirm the coverage?

You are just fearmongering once past saying they can be dangerous and understand how they "might" impact your insurance.[/QUOTE\\

"Have read those all and plenty more...they dont come out and say you should never have one on board...at least the vast majority dont."

Quotes ...one from each of the links....

- "Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to doors, vents,
windows and hatches"

- "The bottom line? Don’t do it!"

- "Let me say right up front, that I do not and have not ever recommended using portable
generators on boats."

-"Currently, no
portable generators meet the Coast Guard
Electrical and Fuel System Standards."

"I have had insurance experts explain insurance and how it works many times. Just like this great misunderstanding about whether they do or dont cover you in a DUI accident."
Then it should be very easy for anyone to get their insurance company to get this in writing before they use any portable gensets on the boat.
Regarding insurance - just last November we had a meeting where many small business owners were talking and they had a slightly lower premium on their insurance. I had suggested they read the policies carefully and make sure that they included all of the items in a summary of our policy. Fast forward to today and none of them are covered for business interruption due to the virus as ours contains.
How little time can it take to confirm the coverage?

When you jumble quotes, and responses all together, it's really difficult trying to figure out any point you are trying to make. In order to differentiate between quoted items, and your responses, you might consider using the font color button to put all your responses in another color so you the reader can try to figure out your . . . . responses more easily!:thumb:
See how I did that?:D

When you jumble quotes, and responses all together, it's really difficult trying to figure out any point you are trying to make. In order to differentiate between quoted items, and your responses, you might consider using the font color button to put all your responses in another color so you the reader can try to figure out your . . . . responses more easily!:thumb:
See how I did that?:D

You never answered the previous questions...

"On the first point (in red above) above, I am not an expert on ABYC standards, nor am I a licensed electrician. However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards,"
Your original post suggested you follow manufacturers guidance with the gensets - I assumed that would include grounding the unit, refueling and CO protection.

"However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards, if you could send me a picture, I suppose I could hand draw a diagram of how to plug it into the generator if you really need me to."
You currently plug a boat into a portable genset using a power cord between the two?

"We were interested in a boat that had come up for sale recently, but after finding out that it had a Predator 3500"
What exactly was the problem with this genset being on the boat?
Why would you not purchase the boat and just remove it

On the 2nd point where you requested whether I had an insurance policy rider, etc, etc, etc, I believe Psneeld addressed that question correctly in post # 44.
"Do you have it in confirmed writing from your insurance company that a portable genset will not compromise your insurance protection in a potential claim and/or loss?"

"nor am I a licensed electrician."
- Perhaps post a link from a licensed marine electrician noting the correct way to use these gensets.
- Or post a link from a licensed surveyor on the proper usage
- Or maybe from a major boating magazine and/or writer
That is if your not able to find one from one of the portable genset manufacturers.

You never answered the previous questions...

"On the first point (in red above) above, I am not an expert on ABYC standards, nor am I a licensed electrician. However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards,"
Your original post suggested you follow manufacturers guidance with the gensets - I assumed that would include grounding the unit, refueling and CO protection.
Exactly, I'm glad you understood!

"However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards, if you could send me a picture, I suppose I could hand draw a diagram of how to plug it into the generator if you really need me to."
You currently plug a boat into a portable genset using a power cord between the two?

Actually, we're between boats at present, so no, we currently are not plugging a genset we don't have into the boat we don't have using a power cord we don't have!:D

"We were interested in a boat that had come up for sale recently, but after finding out that it had a Predator 3500"
What exactly was the problem with this genset being on the boat?
Why would you not purchase the boat and just remove it
Although I stated in an earlier post that I was not adverse to carrying a portable generator on a boat for appropriate situations, I also stated that I required a diesel marine generator first. Installing an approved, suitable marine generator in this particular boat would have required relocating, at least, one engine exhaust system and muffler, since they were apparently replaced AFTER the original marine diesel generator was removed, as well as thru hull, plumbing for cooling, overboard water discharge with vent loop, associated wiring, control panel, etc. The additional cost to the boat, just to bring it up to our standards for the generator alone, made the boat cost prohibitive.

On the 2nd point where you requested whether I had an insurance policy rider, etc, etc, etc, I believe Psneeld addressed that question correctly in post # 44.
"Do you have it in confirmed writing from your insurance company that a portable genset will not compromise your insurance protection in a potential claim and/or loss?"
Not required, already been addressed. Suggest you read over previous threads.

"nor am I a licensed electrician."
- Perhaps post a link from a licensed marine electrician noting the correct way to use these gensets.
- Or post a link from a licensed surveyor on the proper usage
- Or maybe from a major boating magazine and/or writer
That is if your not able to find one from one of the portable genset manufacturers.
Not necessary, if you feel the need, do the research yourself.

See how easy that was? and how much more sense it made? . . . Well, easier to follow what your responses were anyway.:D

Next time your might tryRED, UNDERLINED!:) All SORTS of possibilities out there!:thumb:

Not necessary, if you feel the need, do the research yourself.

See how easy that was? and how much more sense it made? . . . Well, easier to follow what your responses were anyway.:D

Next time your might tryRED, UNDERLINED!:) All SORTS of possibilities out there!:thumb:

Excellent! , it reads much better summarized....
- You have no intentions of utilizing a portable genset onboard.
- At this time you have no idea on how wire or use in properly if you did
- since you are not using one you do not care about insurance
And since you are not planning on using a portable genset you have no reason to search for any information on how you would safely do that.

To be clear, there have been 10 of thousands (or more) of factory installed gas gensets in use on pleasure craft over the past century or so. And still being installed today.

The Honda genset, if used with proper cautions, is a lot safer setup than many hard mounted gensets in the bilge from back in the day.

Hey can we insert "Anchors, or rode" to make this posting more interesting.

OR

take a look at Club Sea Ray their favorite subject is generators on swim platforms!!! Club Sea Ray

Come on folks, just laugh and don't take all this personally. It won't be long and we will smell old diesel on the water...:eek::D:D:socool:

I am a bad bad boy. Just stir'n the pot!! Come on RT join in you are the #1 pot stirrer....

To be clear, there have been 10 of thousands (or more) of factory installed gas gensets in use on pleasure craft over the past century or so. And still being installed today.

The Honda genset, if used with proper cautions, is a lot safer setup than many hard mounted gensets in the bilge from back in the day.

"The Honda genset, if used with proper cautions, is a lot safer setup than many hard mounted gensets in the bilge from back in the day."

That would make sense - which article(s) do you utilize to ensure that these gensets are being used with proper cautions regarding electrical connections, CO, and safety in filling?

Hey can we insert "Anchors, or rode" to make this posting more interesting.

OR

take a look at Club Sea Ray their favorite subject is generators on swim platforms!!! Club Sea Ray

Come on folks, just laugh and don't take all this personally. It won't be long and we will smell old diesel on the water...:eek::D:D:socool:

I am a bad bad boy. Just stir'n the pot!! Come on RT join in you are the #1 pot stirrer....

Join the bad boys club.....been a designated member for years...:D

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 25
My thanks to the people who contacted me to let me know about the "ignore" function! But I was already aware of it:thumb: And, no, I don't have any documentation that proves I was already aware of it!:nonono: Besides, I haven't had this much phun since I took a Child Psychology class in college!:D It's amazing how useful it can be in daily life.:whistling:
I second the comment about RT as well. Where ARE you?:dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser

"The Honda genset, if used with proper cautions, is a lot safer setup than many hard mounted gensets in the bilge from back in the day."
That would make sense - which article(s) do you utilize to ensure that these gensets are being used with proper cautions regarding electrical connections, CO, and safety in filling?

Yes, sunchaser, please do a minimum of 12 page paper explaining/proving your point, single space of course. Attach footnotes as required and have it peer reviewed by a minimum of 6 NASA scientists with experience in portable gensets. Have it on my desk Monday morning.:D

On a serious note, sunchaser, I absolutely agree with the point you make!:dance:

I agree too...

Also add...ehy do some think there are so many people so dumb? Well yes if you read many other forum posts on portable gensets... but not everyone here meets that category...and others dissenting know that.

You can go back to post 9 to find the reason why there is such strong opposition to portables.

Last edited:
I virtually never start threads. For all I know this may be the first one I've done on THT.

Now I remember why I don't start threads! Doh!

I virtually never start threads. For all I know this may be the first one I've done on THT.

Now I remember why I don't start threads! Doh!

What you did was valuable. I thank you for that.

I ran a EU2000 on my sailboat. I converted it over to propane and spend several months testing and measuring CO from it. I saw an 70-80% reduction in CO over gasoline. I'm now getting ready to do the same testing of my diesel generator on my trawler to see where it's CO numbers come in.

The Brockerts

Back
Top Bottom