Honda Generator Recall: Saltwater Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing.

Do TF members actually use these global warming devises? Strap them on the swim platform or place them on the flybridge to run them!!

Thanks for sharing.

Do TF members actually use these global warming devises? Strap them on the swim platform or place them on the flybridge to run them!!

Portable generators usually have a warning to not use them on a boat. But that is routinely disregarded. I am surprised how many I see at anchorages and along lock walls, etc. Not me, way too risky for carbon monoxide, electric shock drowning, and fire as recall notice depicts.
Be safe out there!

People rationalize that they are safe because they are relatively inexpensive. They will find all kind of reasons that it is safe in their particular use. I agree that they are not safe and have no place on a boat. Now let’s see how many disagree...

I agree, portable generators don't belong on a boat. And even the quiet ones aren't all that quiet.

They're also not particularly efficient both due to the nature of air cooled engines and efficiency loss from the inverter (it helps at light load, but it's an efficiency penalty under heavy load). Heck, at rated continuous load (1800 watts), the 2200 watt Honda generator is actually slightly less efficient than the 1980s build, mostly 1940s design flathead gas generator on my boat at its rated continuous load (going by the published fuel consumption numbers for both). Of course, if we apply the same 1800 watt load to both, the Honda will burn less fuel, but that's mostly because it's a smaller generator, so its baseline fuel consumption is lower (the Honda's burn at rated load is about what mine burns at no load).

For rated load on each unit, the Honda will produce 6.06 kwh per gallon of gas, the ancient Onan will produce 6.5 kwh per gallon. A modern onboard gas generator will do better and a diesel will do even better. The diesel and inverter-driven Honda will scale better in terms of fuel efficiency at light load compared to the non-inverter gas generator.

I've seen a lot of members recommending them, that's why I posted the FYI, especially for those within the serial number ranges. I agree with the posters so far on this thread.

I see a lot of these gen sets on the Columbia and in Puget Sound. Most, but not all will put the generator on the dock, then put a chain and lock on it. Yep mostly blow boats.

We currently don't have a portable gen but more than likely will get one when we ramp up our cruising schedule. I have no problem letting it run on the swim platform or bridge deck for an hour or so to power our onboard charger to get the house bank charged up. We wouldn't have it to run the A/C all night. I've never heard of anyone or know of anyone who knows somebody that died from cO2 poisoning or a unit that has caught fire. A little common sense goes a long way.

Wasted breath as half the crowd knows better.

Boy! I sure am glad I had a 2000 :socool:

Yes, and the other half will rationalize it away...

So you assume you and others are correct on all levels of the discussion? Because the other half is just "rationalizing"?

Maybe I am stupid, but I thought I was agreeing with you???

I am not against Hondas, just think like most boating things, a bit dangerous but not unmanageable.

We do have one (Honda 2000e) as our emergency backup generator. We have used it on occasion, but only on the upper deck under cover. As a courtesy to other anchored boats, when we have used it, we anchor as far away from everyone as possible because the damn things annoy me, too. Primarily when used by folks as their only/primary generator.

We bought ours in 2013, and I do not recall anything that stated it could/should not be used on a boat. I'm not rationalizing, but admitting that it has been used a few times over the years. However, I would NOT even come close to placing one on a swim step and running it there... (Let alone in an engine room or other enclosed space.)

It's an anchor topic... half of the folks here can afford to have an installed generator on their larger boats, the other half seldom use a generator or have a boat too small to install one permanently. So, double edged comment!

No one here changes opinions by having a different one, seekers of information find it!

As one of those who has a smaller boat, I had a 2000 I carried a lot and used a little. It could have provided get home electricity for my systems if I lost my alternator, which never happened, but it was insurance "just in case".

Consider this a refilling one pound propane type of topic, some wouldn't, some do. Manage the risk, and even sky diving is a safe sport :flowers:

I`ve noticed if you do that, sometimes psn changes position to disagree. He`s a contrarian,very adept and highly practised at it.

I`ve noticed if you do that, sometimes psn changes position to disagree. He`s a contrarian,very adept and highly practised at it.
I didn't switch in this case...

It may APPEAR to you that I take contrarian positions often...but as many boating topics are not right or wrong and so many posts are incomplete or contain incorrect information that surely I can intelligently make points on both sides of a discussion.

Sorry you think that's contrarian as most topics I could care less about....I just like to see the best info conveyed.

Some folks hang the unit from a dink davit , others put in the dink , with a lock & chain .

Both methods get rid of most of the claimed "dangers" , except for irate neighbors that hate the noise.

psneeld wrote;
“Sorry you think that's contrarian as most topics I could care less about”

I remember you usta say that over and over on anchor threads. Then you’d post away many times.

And re gen noise if Ive got a dead batt that won’t start my engine I’d use a portable gen if I had one. But most of the time We’re on the move and weigh anchor in the morning. And if I’m worried about that I pull the cables off the start batt.

Last edited:
I'll throw myself into the flames of opposition here. I have been using my Honda eu2000i for 11 years without killing myself or irritating my neighbors (to my knowledge :hide:).

I keep it secured on my FB bench seat where I seldom sit and steer. I use my FB as more of an attic with a $1,000,000 view. I store my generator, assorted chemicals like acetone, teak oil, fuel additives and gasoline there in separate, safe, well-vented but protected storage containment.

My routine, especially during this CV Crisis, is to start the generator when I awake to make coffee and breakfast while I charge the batteries from their typical 70-80% morning state of charge. It normally runs for 30-45 minutes while I'm doing my morning routine. If I relocate once or twice throughout the day, I won't need to run the generator again. If not, I'll run it and the stbd engine (120A Balmar and hot water circuit) to warm water for my afternoon/evening shower then let it continue to run ~30 minutes while I'm showering/dressing. This leaves me with enough hot water and electrons to enjoy regular use of the boat's systems without restrictions through morning. (I'm not camping!!)
My batteries live in a SOC of 70-95% while on the hook.

Since I normally anchor solo where I fish, I'm not bothering anyone with the noise. It's mounted on a set of cushions on the FB bench seat padded seat so the vibes and noise in the salon are very subdued, albeit noticeable. My FB does not have isenglass and is protected with lashed sunbrella fabric and a bimini that allows good ventilation with weather protection. I also have a helm canvas and generator cover when needed.

I never use the generator when I'm sleeping since we don't have/need air conditioning in NorCal. I service the generator regularly and monitor its components and environment for hazards and wear. I understand that it's not for everyone but to those who state emphatically that there is no place for one of those generators on a boat, I suggest you broaden your horizons to look beyond your own set of limitations.

Not all boats are created equal.

OK, I'm donning my flame-retardant suit. Let the fireworks begin!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::D

Attachments

• 20200320_184603.jpg
    20200320_184603.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
psneeld wrote;
“Sorry you think that's contrarian as most topics I could care less about”

I remember you usta say that over and over on anchor threads. Then you’d post away many times.

And re gen noise if Ive got a dead batt that won’t start my engine I’d use a portable gen if I had one. But most of the time We’re on the move and weigh anchor in the morning. And if I’m worried about that I pull the cables off the start batt.

I often don't care about the topic.... but I DO care when people post opinion as fact or misrepresent things.

I try and point out things that may stop new boaters from believing what they read to the point they look for further information.

I was going to pile on you too, psneeld, but I can’t think of how or why, so carry on, keep up that social distancing (Orwell is cavorting in his grave as I write this) and wave at your neighbours. I heard that the President of The United States has recommended (or is that ordered?) the population to drink plenty of gins and tonic, which was how the British conquered India so as an idea it has merit.

Your government expects all of us incubators to do their duty.

Thank you Xsbank.... I hope. ::D

Correct me if I misinterpreted...but I take it as I was taught about leadership. As long as people can respect you, they dont have to like you.

I know a lot dont like my posts, I know a few that have actually met me who do.

I like your observation of the British...while not perfect....much like the USA, they have done some great things....hopefully the USA will follow those good things and help the world even more in the long run.

And I am sure many will socially distance themselves from me no matter what I say or do... :)

Point: Fire extinguishers are dangerous if you stick the nozzle in your mouth and inhale while discharging, so I propose we ban all fire extinguishers!:D
Counterpoint: If used correctly, and in accordance with manufacturers recommendations, fire extinguishers are capable of extinguishing small fires, and potentially preventing, or limiting loss of property or loss of life, so they are a reasonable piece of equipment to have on hand . . . :dance:

Point: Portable generators are unsafe, emit CO and have no place on board boats!

Counterpoint: Portable generators are safe if used correctly and periodically inspected, just like any other piece of mechanical/electrical equipment. Addition of a CO monitor in living spaces might be a nice addition.

Seems to me that the key issues are following the manufacturers recommendations, maintaining the equipment, and mediating potential risks. It's all about risk management and common sense. . . :popcorn:

I was going to pile on you too, psneeld, but I can’t think of how or why, so carry on, keep up that social distancing (Orwell is cavorting in his grave as I write this) and wave at your neighbours. I heard that the President of The United States has recommended (or is that ordered?) the population to drink plenty of gins and tonic, which was how the British conquered India so as an idea it has merit.

Your government expects all of us incubators to do their duty.

The Brits must have run out of Gin around 1947 or so as that is when the Indians got their country back!:D

No portable generators on MV Starlite!

My Boat, my Rules!

Back
Top Bottom