Home Dock Power Pedestal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miz Trom

Guru
Vessel Make
Seaway
Has anyone installed a Power/Water Post (pedestal) on their home dock? Looking for recommendations. We only require the 30 amp hookup.

We have the plumber and electrician lined up. We are leaning toward buying this Hatteras model with one 30 amp shore power, one 20 amp GFI duplex, and one water connector (model PP-E-H0):

https://www.dockbuilders.com/power-pedestals.htm

I am concerned with the lack of cover over the shore power cord when in use. Not sure if I should be concerned. I like the amber light.

Comments? Any observations concerning your dock pedestal or this particular pedestal? The photo below is not the exact model, but close.

Attachments

• Hatteras Power Pedestal.jpg
    Hatteras Power Pedestal.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 175
Pretty but costly for what you get.

My favorites are small boxes, hose bibs mounted on a regular dockbox. Many marinas have this setup.

Some add lights to the box too.

Kills 2 birds, one stone.... sorta....

I like your Hatteras pedestal. Not a bad price. We spent double that each for new pedestals for our community dock, but they had knife edge connectors that let you remove the whole pedestal whan a storm threatens and were twins.

Don't worry about the lack of covers. The 30 amp outlet should have threads that a shore power collar on the cord will screw into and keep most water out.

The GFCI outlet is a much discussed PITA, but that is now the electrical code and a good safety feature if you plug in portable tools.

David

On my home dock, I installed plan old hose bibs every 30' or so and a 20amp circuit for convenience outlets the same. I then installed (2) 30 amp plugs for the boat 50' apart, depending on where I or a visiting boat might tie up. Breakers in a box at foot of pier and another at house elec panel. Pretty cheap, and I like the convenience for other jobs around the dock. FYI, ours was 110' w/ 10' x 30' L on the end.

If it was my home dock, I would design something where I did not have to get on my knees to connect or disconnect, with great motion-detector LED lighting. The shore power cables from the boat would be adequately supported and if crossing the deck would have a slot so they did not present a tripping hazard. I'd also put an emergency shutoff switch and hose isolation valve on land somewhere between the house and the dock.

.............. The GFCI outlet is a much discussed PITA, but that is now the electrical code and a good safety feature if you plug in portable tools.

David

A GFCI outlet for the 20 amp convenience outlet is pretty standard and has been around for years. It's for tools and other 120 volt appliances and has never been an issue.

What is new and problematic is the requirement for GCFI protection of the 30 (or 50) amp boat receptacle. Many boats built to older standards need to be modified to use these receptacles without tripping the GCFI function.

Your marina doesn't provide suitable electricle connections? And marina management welcomes berther modifications to their systems?

Ooops! We're talking about your private dock! :blush::eek:

Last edited:
GFI's and other safety measures aside, isn't there something counter-intuitive about a hose-bib mounted within inches of 110v or 220v outlets? I know it is common practice in thousands of marinas, but . . . . turn off water, residual pressure in hose, unscrew dock end, fan of spray as pressure is released.

Last edited:

That's a nice power pedestal and if the price is not a concern, I say go for it.

There are others available of course, possibly less expensive, possibly more expensive. I was watching ShipShape TV and they were showing some deluxe power pedestals with dolphins or pelicans cast into them so the sky (or your budget) is the limit.

The other end of the line is a 4X4 piece of lumber with an electrical box screwed to it and a surface mount hose bib.

Different strokes for different folks.

GFI's and other safety measures aside, isn't there something counter-intuitive about a hose-bib mounted within inches of 110v or 220v outlets? I know it is common practice in thousands of marinas, but . . . . turn off water, residual pressure in hose, unscrew dock end, fan of spray as pressure is released.

There's a way to avoid that. ;)

Yes, some marinas mount the hose bib on the dock away from the power pedestal. On most pedestals the electric is at the top and the water is at the bottom so there's about two feet between the two of them.

Looking at the photo, my preference is the type with the receptacle and the breaker next to each other and under the same cover. That leaves no guessing as to which breaker goes to which receptacle.

They endure driving rain and salt spra in some places, a little from a hose shouldn't be an issue.

Inside, the ones I know are compartmented or spray shielded so the 2 don't mix.

Should you decide on a less fancy po!e use a house 240/50 A sockets and an adaptor cord.

Control the adaptor and you control who users the juice in your absence.

Should you decide on a less fancy po!e use a house 240/50 A sockets and an adaptor cord.

Control the adaptor and you control who users the juice in your absence.

Switching off the breaker in the house would work as well.

I have stayed at a few marinas where they padlock the power pedestal if nobody is renting the slip. Turns out that they have problems with people waiting for the marina to close and then taking a slip and using the power until the next morning before the staff gets there.

I truly appreciate the ideas of a home-built pedestal, but Hubby Dan and I are at that age when minor maintenace around the house is about all we care to undertake. Plus, we have a brand new dock and want to keep it looking nice. It has wood stringers with the composite decking.

Attachments

• Lucy Sunrise New Dock.jpg
    Lucy Sunrise New Dock.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Lucy Misty Fawn New Dock.jpg
    Lucy Misty Fawn New Dock.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 104
Gorgeous. Now that I see your deck, I would suggest having someone build a nice wood pedestal under your dock power pedestal, with a hinged door for hose reel storage, that would also raise the height of your power connections for a manageable reach.

"It has wood stringers with the composite decking."

And three security systems!

Simple doesn't mean ugly any more than elaborate means ostentatious.

3 security systems

And three security systems!
With no monthly fees!

Only one of the dogs is officially "ours" in the second dock photo:

Far right is our girl Lucy, the other two are our neighbors' pooches. We have the greatest neighbors with the greatest dogs ever. The three pooches run with joyful abandon between our two homes and yards (both yards are fenced with a gate between our yards). Lucy is going to miss her sisters terribly when we head north on the boat, as will we.

If SW Floriduh wasn't so freakin' hot in the summer, we'd never leave.

And many thanks for all of the ideas and comments regarding the new dock pedestal!

There is one marina in our area that has that type of pedestal on the guest docks. The shape and height of the pedestal is just right for a boat to run into it (hull flair at the bow extending over the dock as it pulls in at an angle). Every singe one of them has been broken off and been repaired with steel straps, not so nice looking anymore. Personally I would opt for a low profile pedestal. Of course, it looks like you have the option to mount it off to the side of your dock where it would be out f reach form any boat pulling in. And your boat does not look to have much of a flared bow so you probably would not have that issue.

Marty...................

There is one marina in our area that has that type of pedestal on the guest docks. .................

I don't think I've ever been to a marina where it wasn't possible to hit the power pedestal if someone docks bow first and doesn't have control of their boat. For the boaters, it's more convenient to have the pedestal near the edge of the dock and it's also safer than having power cords and hoses stretched across the docks from distant pedestals.

A private dock will see a lot less traffic than a commercial marina and presumably, the owner will take care not to hit the pedestal.

I sold the power pedestals made by International Dock Products. I also installed them on the dock at my store. They are very well made and they offer an outlet cover that acts as a rain shield when the cord is plugged in. I also recommend that you include 50 amp 250 volt service on the pedestal. You might want it in the future and it will be a lot cheaper to install it now.
International Dock Products dock products, dockside pillars, docks, cleats, ladders, bumpers, piling caps

You might get a better price if you ask Victor@hopkins-carter.com for a quote on it.

On the dock behind my house, I have a cord hard wired into a box that is just the right length to fit the boat. I coil it and hang it when I leave. No plug/receptacle on dock. My 50' shore cord stays stowed in the boat til I am at a marina. No need to deal with extra loops of cord on the deck this way.

Water spigot just like on side of a house. Put it where it fits.

Don't see the need for a pedestal on a private dock.

On the dock behind my house, I have a cord hard wired into a box that is just the right length to fit the boat. I coil it and hang it when I leave. No plug/receptacle on dock. My 50' shore cord stays stowed in the boat til I am at a marina. No need to deal with extra loops of cord on the deck this way.

Water spigot just like on side of a house. Put it where it fits.

Don't see the need for a pedestal on a private dock.

Do you have a switch or breaker to turn the power off when connecting or disconnecting the cord? Can you reset the breaker if it trips conveniently or is the breaker in your house?

Breaker is in my garage about 50' up the hill. I plug it into the boat "hot".

Before everyone jumps on Ski for "plugging in hot", there is no problem, ie burnt connectors, if there are no loads on in the boat. That is what I do.

David

Before everyone jumps on Ski for "plugging in hot", there is no problem, ie burnt connectors, if there are no loads on in the boat. That is what I do.

David
Everyone should have a main breaker at the inlet or w/in 10 ft on the boat...perfect application for using it.

I have been plugging in hot for over 10 years, but not with large loads running. Just the fridge and charger.

I have been plugging in hot for over 10 years, but not with large loads running. Just the fridge and charger.
That was my practice on a previous Boat where the breaker was w/in 10 6ft but was down below and not convenient...I ended up having to replace plug & inlet after about 10 yrs...no big loads either and fresh water environment.

That was my practice on a previous Boat where the breaker was w/in 10 6ft but was down below and not convenient...I ended up having to replace plug & inlet after about 10 yrs...no big loads either and fresh water environment.

Not a problem so far. Looking at the terminals seem clean and bright. I typically do not use a lot of continuous high amp power like heat, ac, oven. Just the charger and fridge, so maybe that extends their life. The new marina has a breaker on the power pole on the dock, the old one did not. I added those disconnect breakers on the boat side, but still find it even less than 10 foot away, not convenient. Ideally, you would want those disconnect breakers right near where you plug in, to encourage their usage.

Last edited:
Leaving the shore power cord "hot" can be a problem not only when plugging into the boat (especially if it's raining), but if (when) the end is dropped or knocked into the water.

But, we all make our own choices so if this doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom