Home Dock Power Pedestal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want to build my own shore power pedestal

On my home dock, I installed plan old hose bibs every 30' or so and a 20amp circuit for convenience outlets the same. I then installed (2) 30 amp plugs for the boat 50' apart, depending on where I or a visiting boat might tie up. Breakers in a box at foot of pier and another at house elec panel. Pretty cheap, and I like the convenience for other jobs around the dock. FYI, ours was 110' w/ 10' x 30' L on the end.

Hi

I came across this old thread and thought I would reach out. I have just added a dock behind my house and want to build my own shore power solution. I had an electrician run two 30 amp lines to a 4x4 post at the edge of the seawall. Plumber ran water and attached a hose bib. Now I am looking for advice on how to get to next step.

The 30 amp circuits are now just wires terminating in a metal box attached about half way up the 4x4 post.

Perhaps you can share what FD boxes you used, what weatherproof outlets, what weather proof circuit breakers and how you put it all together.

I can do indoor wiring, but have no experience setting up a shore power solution on a 4x4 post.

Thanks

I would have let the electrician finish the job. He should know what needs to be used at your house to terminate with NEMA L5-30 Marine twistlock receptacles.

Last edited:
I sold the power pedestals made by International Dock Products. I also installed them on the dock at my store. They are very well made and they offer an outlet cover that acts as a rain shield when the cord is plugged in. I also recommend that you include 50 amp 250 volt service on the pedestal. You might want it in the future and it will be a lot cheaper to install it now.
International Dock Products dock products, dockside pillars, docks, cleats, ladders, bumpers, piling caps

You might get a better price if you ask Victor@hopkins-carter.com for a quote on it.

I like the fire extinguisher pedestal.:thumb:

I would have let the electrician finish the job. He should know what needs to be used at your house to terminate with NEMA L5-30 Marine twistlock receptacles.

He says he can't. Florida requires a marine electrician license to wire up the dock. He can only bring wire to the dock.

He says he can't. Florida requires a marine electrician license to wire up the dock. He can only bring wire to the dock.

An idea might be to contact a local marina and ask who they might recommend to do this work.

Jim

Livingston Electric. Did all my electric after sea wall replacement; just by coincidence, I bought the Hatteras pedestal that started this thread (bought direct from Eaton, he installed it). Very happy with their work. Do not use the other well-known local marine electrician.

I just did my own dock electrical, inspected to the city’s satisfaction. Fairly complex, with 30A 120, 20A 120 , a 20A 240 lift and a 240v 20A recept. , lighting, trenching depths, Oh, and a lightning protection system.
A number of tricks in this. Some of which include heights above sea water, marine outlet disconnect close by, bonding of objects, spacing of outlets, mounting tricks of subpanels on pilings and more.

Last edited:
AN RV outlet box has a cover that can close ,to be rain proof , but can not submarine.

The 4 copper plug ends are many times larger than "marine" setup and they are wiped on each insert and removal.

(2) 30A / 120V or a 50A / 240 can be fed.

A short lead with your favorite marine socket will be less likely to burn your boat from constant overloading..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Midwest-...054P/100193650

And you will need ground fault protection... Not sure of the requirements anymore other than you must have it around docks. Thats where the electrician comes in, to know what the NEC says.

And you will need ground fault protection... Not sure of the requirements anymore other than you must have it around docks. Thats where the electrician comes in, to know what the NEC says.

Yes, even the 240v lifts now require GFCI protection. I’m actually not positive that twist locks at a private dock require GFCI. But I put in a 30mA equip protection breaker for the twist lock.

"But I put in a 30mA equip protection breaker for the twist lock."

Safe and easy!

Back
Top Bottom