Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #41
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Given that I just paid $3,500 for my bimini top, $2,500 for my Volvo service, $2,700 for my life raft and I am about to pay who knows what to repair a bent shaft (courtesy of the previous owner), I think this (most capacity in available space) is where my head is at. Not saying it is the best long-term approach, but it's all I have the appetite for at this point in time.
Yep, sometimes easiest to solve "adequately" for now, and get on with boating.

Quote:
I will check out the SmartGauge, thanks. As for the charge sources, I will be using either the generator if out at an anchorage or shore power when at the dock. No solar or anything else.
A minor comment here, just in case you didn't yet fully recognize the issue about charging sources. Yes, you would be using the genset sometimes, but there's another intermediate system in between genset and batteries: the battery charger (sometimes called converter, somtimes combined with an inverter). Genset capability is important to know about, of course, but the charger capability becomes germane reasonably quickly. Small charger (e.g., 20-amp) and big battery bank, not so great. Big charger and big battery bank, usually better, depending. That where all the discussion about .1C or .2C or whatever comes into play.

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance. Seems like the SOC meter is a wise investment up front if I go with AGM batteries.
I'm one of the contrarians around here who doesn't bother to use a SOC meter, and that's with AGM batteries but would have likely been with whatever batteries I happen to have.

We're partly influenced by electric cooking and water heater. We're also partly influenced by our overall battery capacity, which was 600-Ah until last week, and is now 740-Ah. At anchor, we have to use the genset to cook, so while we're at it we charge batteries and make hot water. That usually means morning and evening genset cooking (and charging) sessions... which in turn means we rarely draw batteries down enough to really care much about SOC.

Voltage, which others will correctly state isn't a perfect guide, has been quite sufficient for us.

YMMV but... (wait for it...)

Quote:
I'll check out the options you mentioned. Thanks. I'd say I'd be away from shore 1 night on occasion. But typically we return each night.
This pretty much means you may not have to care much about exact SOC either. Within reason. And modified by your experience going forward.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #42
FF
Guru

"At anchor, we have to use the genset to cook, so while we're at it we charge batteries and make hot water. That usually means morning and evening genset cooking (and charging) sessions... which in turn means we rarely draw batteries down enough to really care much about SOC."

True it would be unlikely to kill the batt set O'nite , but do you think it is being recharged enough daily to reach 100%?

If not, you may join the always under charged group of cruisers and have shorter service life from the batt set.

Multiple daily hydrometer readings does work for monitoring , but most folks find a SoC meter much less a PIA.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Very true. With decent loads on the hook, unless you're literally motoring many hours every day you're never getting a bank back to 100% on dino juice alone.

Heading back to shore charging soon, then no problem

Otherwise even a little solar will pay for itself in bank longevity.

And without accurate SoC you'd never know.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #44
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
ranger 42c, thanks for the clarification on the charger. Good point. I did some homework and it looks like my best best is to go with the Victron Energy AGM. Either (2) 230Ah units or (4) 100Ah units. The 230Ah might "just" fit without any modification while the 100Ah will definitely fit. Either way I'd be going from a house bank at 280Ah to between 400Ah - 460Ah, so potentially double. Might need to look at the charger.

By the way, these are Victron "Super Cycle" which according to Victron are designed to be more forgiving of significant or complete discharge.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...battery-EN.pdf
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

Victron is a fine vendor for most product categories, obviously initial cost is not a big deal for you, I'm sure their batts are great value long-term, any idea who the actual mfg is?

A smaller number of large batteries is better than many small ones.

Down the road, look at their larger "kombi" inverter/charger units with auto switchover, nice kit there.

Also they are an industry leader for LiFePO4 banks w/ integrated BMS.

Just make sure with a pricy bank like that, do get good battery monitoring in place, and even if you "can" allow them to go below 50%, you should really do so rarely, ideally in emergencies only with lead.

I'm sure you can get their "lifetime cycles vs DoD" charts and see how shallower cycling buys you many more years of service.

I **highly** recommend Bruce at Ocean Planet as a Victron dealer, at least get a quote from him. IMO for kit like this it's worth paying a bit more for truly expert support.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Victron is a fine vendor for most product categories, obviously initial cost is not a big deal for you, I'm sure their batts are great value long-term, any idea who the actual mfg is?

A smaller number of large batteries is better than many small ones.

Down the road, look at their larger "kombi" inverter/charger units with auto switchover, nice kit there.

Also they are an industry leader for LiFePO4 banks w/ integrated BMS.

Just make sure with a pricy bank like that, do get good battery monitoring in place, and even if you "can" allow them to go below 50%, you should really do so rarely, ideally in emergencies only with lead.

I'm sure you can get their "lifetime cycles vs DoD" charts and see how shallower cycling buys you many more years of service.

I **highly** recommend Bruce at Ocean Planet as a Victron dealer, at least get a quote from him. IMO for kit like this it's worth paying a bit more for truly expert support.

Not sure who makes their batteries.

All good advice. Yeah, my strategy would be to keep them above 50% but nice to know if I screw up there is a bit more margin for error in terms of longevity.

I can check with Bruce. Thx!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #47
Scraping Paint

Ask him, he may not be allowed to say
Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"At anchor, we have to use the genset to cook, so while we're at it we charge batteries and make hot water. That usually means morning and evening genset cooking (and charging) sessions... which in turn means we rarely draw batteries down enough to really care much about SOC."

True it would be unlikely to kill the batt set O'nite , but do you think it is being recharged enough daily to reach 100%?

If not, you may join the always under charged group of cruisers and have shorter service life from the batt set.

Multiple daily hydrometer readings does work for monitoring , but most folks find a SoC meter much less a PIA.

Quote:
Very true. With decent loads on the hook, unless you're literally motoring many hours every day you're never getting a bank back to 100% on dino juice alone.

Heading back to shore charging soon, then no problem

Otherwise even a little solar will pay for itself in bank longevity.

And without accurate SoC you'd never know.

Good points, and no, we can't usually get our batteries back up to 100% on a daily basis when we're out. OTOH, we rarely anchor out for more than a week at a time, and more often we're in and out of marinas every third or fourth day or so if we're on a more extended trip. IOW, our charging regime seems to have been "good enough," given lifespan on the AGM bank we just replaced.

Certainly wouldn't turn down some solar augmentation, but that hasn't bubbled up to the top of my wallet yet.

Can't use a hydrometer anyway, given our sealed batteries, but I wouldn't turn down a SOC monitor either, for that matter. OTOH, it hasn't become important enough -- for our usage pattern -- to be obviously warranted.

And that leads to part of my point: Yes, I'd "know" better with a SOC meter, but there's not much I could do about it (without solar). Or maybe I could run the genset 3x/day instead of 2x... but we're not likely doing that. IOW, the additional info might be interesting, but probably wouldn't make much difference in the way we operate the boat.

Not a recommendation, just an observation...

-Chris
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #49
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I have a complete Victron system, combination inverter and telecom batteries, l have a 275 amp Balmar alternator and their smart gauge.
Worth every penny.
The Telecom allow me to put the equivalent of four 8Ds in the space of two.
For me that was whole project.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:

And something I didn't include in my earlier description of our normal charging regimen:

We sometimes do run with genset and ACs on while underway, actually often in July and August, so we can keep the critter cool inside in the AC... and so the saloon etc. isn't absolutely sweltering (from lots of glass) when we finally get someplace, either anchorage or marina.

And then if it's a sweltering anchorage, again especially in July and August around here, we'll leave the genset and ACs running until outside temps start to come down for the evening.

In those instances, the alternators and chargers are both able to keep the battery charge level pretty high... so yet another reason why more info from something like a SOC meter probably wouldn't cause much difference in our routine.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree with Chris that it depends on your routine...today and tomorrow. Day cruises and day fishing trips? No need for a big bank. If you think you might want to stay out on the hook for 3 days or more with minimal main or genset use, a bigger bank is more important.

Often, our use changes from that we first imagined with a trawler. A larger bank provides future options you might not have otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I have a complete Victron system, combination inverter and telecom batteries, l have a 275 amp Balmar alternator and their smart gauge.
Worth every penny.
The Telecom allow me to put the equivalent of four 8Ds in the space of two.
For me that was whole project.
That's the way to look at an electrical system! It covers the whole enchilada spec'd from top to bottom.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #52
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
The batteries from energy 1 come in varies sizes. Take a look at the dimensions. These are AGM batteries and can be stored in any position except upside down. These are not standard sizes. I was able to replace two 4-D batteries with three of their 4-D equivalents in last boat.

Gordon

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #53
FF
Guru

"our charging regime seems to have been "good enough," given lifespan on the AGM bank we just replaced."

AGM can usually be charged at a higher rate than WLA , so the next time anything in the charging system dies an upgrade might be easy?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"our charging regime seems to have been "good enough," given lifespan on the AGM bank we just replaced."

AGM can usually be charged at a higher rate than WLA , so the next time anything in the charging system dies an upgrade might be easy?

Yep, exactly. I've already made some incremental improvements in charging capability along the way, anyway, since I had increased battery capacity a bit when I switched over to the first AGMs starting in 2006.

One, I took the genset battery off the original 40-amp 3-stage charger (genset alternator works sufficiently well, for its own battery). A minor improvement, and actually more focused on better balancing bank loads.

Then I removed one of the remaining start/house combo banks from that original charger, too, and gave it its own 70-amp inverter/charger. That bank was just increased from 300-Ah to 440-Ah, so the charge rate still probably isn't optimal, but the new 2000W PSW/70-Amp unit was otherwise suited to our needs.

And now the original 40-amp charger only has a single 300-Ah bank to service. It's not perfect, but works, given our usage/charging patterns. (Mostly it worked OK for the two 300-Ah banks for about 12 years.)

I reckon when the original charger craps out, or for some reason a bundle of unclaimed cash shows up, I can replace it then with a higher-amperage unit

-Chris
Old 07-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #55
Scraping Paint

def moving in the right directions
Old 07-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #56
Guru

I need to check my charger capacity. Any idea what charge rate is optimal if the charger is connected to a house bank with between 400 - 460Ah?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #57
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I need to check my charger capacity. Any idea what charge rate is optimal if the charger is connected to a house bank with between 400 - 460Ah?

That is dependent on the type and manufacturer of the battery. You can usually find that information from the company website, or simply an email to them. When I asked US Batteries about their AGMs, they said they can take a charge up to 30% of the Ah capacity. My bank is 780 Ah, so that would be up to about 225 amps. My charger only charges at 125amps max, so I set it at max.

Lifeline claims some ungodly high CAR, up to 5x Ah capacity if I recall correctly. So those will take almost as many amps as you can throw at them. That really speeds up Bulk charging and is certainly helpful in the early phases of Absorb phase.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
That's the way to look at an electrical system! It covers the whole enchilada spec'd from top to bottom.

There are advantages to using the same MFG for both the batteries and the inverter/charger. They are designed to work with each other and there's one point of responsibility if there is an issue with any part of the system. If Victron had an alternator I would have given it serious thought as well, but they don't. I'm very happy with the Balmar equipment as well.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Call the mfg and ask the CAR spec, Charge Acceptance Rate.

.15-.25C for low-end FLA, .3-.6C or higher for many AGM, some chemistries can go well over 100%.

They sometimes spec a "maximum" rate lower than what it actually is, just legal CYA IMO, at least with lead you can offer more than the bank will accept no harm done as long as your connections, wiring gauge etc are robust.