Old 10-18-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Camano island wa
Vessel Name: Pert'Near
Vessel Model: hershine 37
heart interface voltage regulator

Does anyone know where I could purchase or have my voltage regulator tested and repaired. I would like to have a spare on board as and I believe this one is bad (no power to the field wire)
Attached Thumbnails
20150926_101611.jpg  
jetmech59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Oh boy, that reg. is old, older than my Ample. Crusiing Equipment disappeared into Heart which disappeared into Xantrex years ago.

You have several boat electrical companies in the Seattle/Everett/Tacoma area. Have you contacted any of them? If lucky they may guide you to an electroncs repair shop. I expect they tell you it will cost more to repair than simply replace.

Take the cover off and see if the board components are potted. Many were potted which makes boards like that difficult/expensive to repair.

If not potted it may be possible to ask around for an industrial electronics repair co.
Those shops often have some extremely good technicians who can figure out repairs without drawings. Nothing to do with boat stuff but I dealt with some stuff like this where the mfgr. were long gone and we needed the mach. to run. I asked around the machine suppliers [machine tools] about who did their electronic repairs.

But be carefull as it may cost more than a good replacement.

I just realized you may be near Anacortes. Have no idea if a suitable co. is in the area but it may be worthwhile asking around there.

E-bay for a used one hopefully.

Unfortunately that's all I can suggest as I do not live in the area.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I used to have one like that, but switched to Balmar Max Charge. My current Balmar MC-614 is SO much better, I would not mess around trying to fix that old unit.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech59 View Post
Does anyone know where I could purchase or have my voltage regulator tested and repaired. I would like to have a spare on board as and I believe this one is bad (no power to the field wire)
Is there a unit that is compatible with the link 2000r it uses a 6 wire phone cord to relay information.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Oh boy, that reg. is old, older than my Ample. Crusiing Equipment disappeared into Heart which disappeared into Xantrex years ago.

You have several boat electrical companies in the Seattle/Everett/Tacoma area. Have you contacted any of them? If lucky they may guide you to an electroncs repair shop. I expect they tell you it will cost more to repair than simply replace.

Take the cover off and see if the board components are potted. Many were potted which makes boards like that difficult/expensive to repair.

If not potted it may be possible to ask around for an industrial electronics repair co.
Those shops often have some extremely good technicians who can figure out repairs without drawings. Nothing to do with boat stuff but I dealt with some stuff like this where the mfgr. were long gone and we needed the mach. to run. I asked around the machine suppliers [machine tools] about who did their electronic repairs.

But be carefull as it may cost more than a good replacement.

I just realized you may be near Anacortes. Have no idea if a suitable co. is in the area but it may be worthwhile asking around there.

E-bay for a used one hopefully.

Unfortunately that's all I can suggest as I do not live in the area.
I live halfway between Seattle and Anacortes and will check to see if a I can find a unit that is compatible with my link 2000r
Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Don't know how it would relate to a Link 2000R. I have a Link 2000, and it's fine with that. I thought the point of a 2000R was to also provide the regulator function for the alternator. If that's right, do you need another regulator?
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Years ago I had a Heart 2000R inverter/charger/regulator control panel with a remote regulator like yours. The regulator started flaking out on me. So I disconnected the regulator part and replaced it with a Balmar unit. That is what I would do. The Balmar unit is a much better regulator with more options and features.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Years ago I had a Heart 2000R inverter/charger/regulator control panel with a remote regulator like yours. The regulator started flaking out on me. So I disconnected the regulator part and replaced it with a Balmar unit. That is what I would do. The Balmar unit is a much better regulator with more options and features.

David
Balmar is good quality product and not overly expensive. I agree with David switch it out anything you replace it with will be used of the same era and subject to failure as the original did.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote