Handheld Gps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norseman

Veteran Member
I am looking to purchase a new handheld GPS and would to like to ask if anyone has had experience with either of the*following units.* I currently don't own*a handheld so I'm looking for any input that will help.

Garmin GPSmap 76S
Garmin Etrex Legend HCx
Garmin GPSmap 60
Lowrance Ifinder H20c

Thanks
Tom

We use the Garmin 76 and it works just fine, even in fog in Maine .

We usually use paper charts , but on the Loop recently there were holes in the chart kit charts.

We downloaded a program and the US gov free charts to iur lap top.

The Garmin would easily give a lat/lon readout and we would scroll that into the lap top and have a "moving map" display with no effort or Co$t.

In Florida where the viz is unlimited , no sweat , but even in the soup in a place like Maine it would work just as well. The fix time to position time is max 10 seconds , no biggie on an 8K cruiser.

And it will work as well with the Loran , if the Chinese EMP the comm & nav birds .

Works for me,

FF

I'll second the Garmin 76!!!

Be sure to spend the bucks to get the 12V power plug , changing batts every day is a drag!

FF

FF & John,

I'm leaning very strong towards the 76S. It's black and white but in my price range. Is your 76 a backup or your primary?

Thanks
Tom

PRIMARY , its all you need , unless you cant read a chart.

If so about $10K will get the latest Furuno majic that wipes your butt for you!

FF

I have a Garmin 76c that I used as a primary GPS for a year. Works great, the map source software is also great. *You can load the charts on the GPS and get more detail then the standard charts that it is pre loaded with.
I agree with FF on the power adapter, batteries dont last long in the GPS. West Marine puts the 76 on sale quite a bit for $179.

I used it as primary powering the Captain on a laptop. My boat now has a decent enough chartplotter(G182c) that I don't even break out the 76 anymore. But it never failed to provide for me for 5 years....I used the very first version of it.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm going to get the Garmin 76cx. I currently have a Garming 210 at the lower station. I think this will be a good replacement.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom