Ham Radio, APRS, etc... LONG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I know there is SO much that I just don't know. Those looks like great resources.

If I do go this route, I only need a Technician's license. A couple days ago on a whim I took three online Technician practice tests to see what they were like. I barely passed once and barely failed twice. That was with absolutely no information (what is a QSR for example?). I am confident that I could easily pass the Technicians test by reading through the ARRL License manual.

None of the tests (for any of the three levels) require any conceptually difficult knowledge. There is some memorization, but most of that is fairly logical. FWIW, I passed all three on first sitting with less than a month's study. And I don't have a technical background.

It seems that Winlink simply holds those messages and then the licensed operator actually triggers the deliver via a command through an APRS packet to Winlink. Again, I may have this all wrong. If this is how it works, it means that I would send email or phone text message to family using the APRS system and they could send me emails through the Winlink system.

It is even easier than that. Your outgoing messages get sent by conventional email immediately after your transmission.

Good way to get an idea of the coverage in any particular area:

1. Go to aprs.fi
2. Zoom into the area that you are interested in. You can search on a city, zip code, state, etc.
3. Go to the vertical row of icons on the top right side. Click on "filter." Select only digipeaters and igates.
4. Got back to the icons. Click on "Toggle between half sized and full sized PHG circles." Half sized gives you a very conservative estimate of the coverage. Full sized gives you a more generous estimate of the coverage.

Up in the Desolation Sound area, it looks to me like you have to get south of Texada Island before you get into really reliable APRS coverage.

Last edited:
Yeah, Desolation Sound remains an unknown, at this time. Hopefully, I'll be able to verify the coverage this summer, and is one reason why I'll keep my Delorme InReach subscription until I've cruised the area. Points south of Desolation appear to have great coverage.

It might be a good justification to put an IGate at our Cortes Bay or Garden Bay outstation, if we can generate enough APRS enthusiasm in the club! :) There are year-round resident managers at both locations, with internet connectivity.

None of the tests (for any of the three levels) require any conceptually difficult knowledge. There is some memorization, but most of that is fairly logical. FWIW, I passed all three on first sitting with less than a month's study. And I don't have a technical background.

I am inherently lazy with a lot on my plate at the moment. 30 minutes of study is too much at this point. The Technician license requires much less than that. The General would require a bit more than 30 minutes. I think I will take the technician and then if I decide I want to expand to the HF bands I can take the General.

Yeah, Desolation Sound remains an unknown, at this time. Hopefully, I'll be able to verify the coverage this summer, and is one reason why I'll keep my Delorme InReach subscription until I've cruised the area. Points south of Desolation appear to have great coverage.

It might be a good justification to put an IGate at our Cortes Bay or Garden Bay outstation, if we can generate enough APRS enthusiasm in the club! :) There are year-round resident managers at both locations, with internet connectivity.

Cortes Bay would be a pretty good location if you could get enough height. SYC seems to have the available talent to put it in. I would be a matter of convincing the SYC Amateur Radio Committee to devote the resources.

Agree...as a member of the SYC Amateur Radio Committee, I'm at a good starting point! [emoji14]. Stay tuned...

Dave:

Congrats on expanding your horizons to embrace a new technology.

I cringe, however, when you repeatedly mention that you need this for Desolation Sound. As we have cruised DS almost every year for the past 40 years, I have to note that there are few places without good cellphone service, and those are within a quick dinghy ride to good service. Notably, Pendrell Sound, Waddington Channel and Teakern Arm are currently without good, or any cell service. We have been able to stay in contact with family while in each of those places (yes the wee ones require constant checking), by running down to Desolation Sound from the first two or out to Lewis Channel from the inside end of Teakern. Spending 1/2 hr in the dinghy is a small price to pay for the good contact that results.

If in fact you are travelling beyond DS, which we rarely do, cell service declines rapidly to nil, so you are going to be well prepared with your new skills and an alternative technology.

I'm an old HAM operator.. with the satellite prices coming down and personal beacon localizer widely available and with affordable prices, HAM stuff onboard are more and more not necessary.
I still operating PACTOR4 and other different digital system just for experimentation. Install a PACTOR installation is very expensive and APRS system is not necessary in a boat.

I would second this. In the long term view, look at the sat launches. Tons of birds going into orbit, pace is approaching a hundred per year. If you can wait a couple years, I would expect sat data costs to drop by an order of magnitude, and near shore stuff (cellular, wimax) is improving massively too.

Dave:

Congrats on expanding your horizons to embrace a new technology.

I cringe, however, when you repeatedly mention that you need this for Desolation Sound. As we have cruised DS almost every year for the past 40 years, I have to note that there are few places without good cellphone service, and those are within a quick dinghy ride to good service. Notably, Pendrell Sound, Waddington Channel and Teakern Arm are currently without good, or any cell service. We have been able to stay in contact with family while in each of those places (yes the wee ones require constant checking), by running down to Desolation Sound from the first two or out to Lewis Channel from the inside end of Teakern. Spending 1/2 hr in the dinghy is a small price to pay for the good contact that results.

If in fact you are travelling beyond DS, which we rarely do, cell service declines rapidly to nil, so you are going to be well prepared with your new skills and an alternative technology.

Good points. My cell reception last year was very spotty. If I recall, I did OK around the Prideaux haven area but did notice, as you mentioned, that I had nothing up in Pendrell Sound. I also lose cell reception even down here on the North side of Harstine Island.

Anyway, we will see. It may not pan out as well as I would hope or I may find that it isn't a good "fit" for me. We will see.

My wife did remind me that she wants to get a Class B AIS before this summer as well. Just another boat buck.

Not really legal, but if you search "export" models of many electronic toys there can be huge range or output differences.

FCC came through with license.

After 15 days from my taking the Technician test, the FCC granted me a Technicians license.

So, I have the license. I have the HT. Now I am pretty much confused. However, for what's its worth
KI7LYV

After 15 days from my taking the Technician test, the FCC granted me a Technicians license.

So, I have the license. I have the HT. Now I am pretty much confused. However, for what's its worth
KI7LYV

Congratulations. You have joined an elite fraternity. Now, I will admit that most of the core members of that fraternity are now old, and feeble, and probably have trouble remembering who they are. But there was a time when they were on the cutting edge of technology, and that is something to be proud of. So welcome. Got my 50-year award for being a ham this year, by the way. I am proud of that.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Dave. Welcome to the fraternity! Your era of confusion is just beginning...the more you learn, the more you'll realize is out there yet to learn. Now, get after that General...

Not sure if you can hit Queen Anne from your QTH...the SYC weather net is on the 146.96 repeater at 0747L daily, year-round. If you are able to get into the repeater, visitors are welcome. The tone is 103.5, minus offset. Your hand-held should automatically select the correct offset, but you'll have to program the tone.

There is also a free-form net on the same repeater at 0900L & 2100L daily. It's one of the more active repeaters in the area.

Hope to hear you on the airwaves!

73, Vic KB7GL

I will see, but I doubt I will be able to get Queen Anne from where I am. I am hoping to do some exploring this weekend.

Jwnail, who may I inquire is issuing 50 yr license awards?
KC1DZ, Bill

OK, I was able to setup my Yaesu FT2DR for APRS yesterday. Because I am an idiot, it took me a while, but eventually I got it done. It will transmit position, speed, altitude etc... I was also able to figure out how I can use it to send and receive SMS text messages through a gateway. That works quite well.

What I did finally figure out is that with the Yaesu there is no way to setup the APRS channel for "voice alert". As soon as you enable the APRS modem in the radio, it disables the tone squelch. This means that it can't be uses to easily be notified of another radio in simplex range that is monitoring the APRS frequency.

I will see, but I doubt I will be able to get Queen Anne from where I am. I am hoping to do some exploring this weekend.

Yeah, that's probably a bit of a stretch from your QTH,, unless you have a 50W station with a directional antenna.

If you'd like to listen, or even check-in, Charlie, KC1S has an Echolink node at his QTH he activates for the Net...several members check-in via the link from Friday Harbor, Gig Harbor, Victoria, Palm Springs, etc.

Hope to hear you sometime.

73, Vic KB7GL

Back
Top Bottom