Old 05-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Brentwood Bay BC
Vessel Name: Bonita Rose
Vessel Model: 1981 Bayliner 3270
Hailing question - 2 radios, 1 horn

Hello all -
I'm hoping to hook up two Icom VHF radios to one hailing horn. One radio inside the cabin, one on the flybridge. Of course I'd only be using the hailing function on one radio at a time. See any problem with that? Just wire them both to the horn, being mindful of keeping positive and negative consistent between the radios..? Thanks for your help.
BrentwoodBayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. I have never thought about that. I think it would work but just to be careful I would have the other radio/hailer turned off. It might change the impedance but I would give it a try. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
No you don't want to directly wire 2 audio outputs together to a speaker like that! Use a double-pole ,double-throw selector switch to select the audio output from either radio and isolate the radios from each other. Running the speaker line to the hailer from each radio is the hard thing. Installing a selector switch is easy & will save your radio output amplifier!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Shawn has the right answer.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Another approach would be a single VHF, plus a remote command Mic up on the fly bridge. That gives you full VHF control from either station. It really comes down to whether you really want two VHFs, or if what you really need is control from two locations.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
One problem with the selector switch plan is the location of the selector switch. Murphy's Law says it will be where you are not when you need it!!!
We have the remote mic connected to a Standard Horizon GX2200. It allows access to all features from either station.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Another approach would be a single VHF, plus a remote command Mic up on the fly bridge. That gives you full VHF control from either station. It really comes down to whether you really want two VHFs, or if what you really need is control from two locations.
I agree with this approach. The Icom command mic is great. Another plus is the intercom feature--Lot better than shouting or calling someone below on their phone. My second VHF is a handheld.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
This is the best solution.

We have 2 fixed mounted Standard Horizon VHFs- 1 on the flybridge, and 1 in the salon. Both are equipped with RAM (remote) mike/controls, so we have full redundancy at both stations.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Brentwood Bay BC
Vessel Name: Bonita Rose
Vessel Model: 1981 Bayliner 3270
Thanks and follow-up question

Thanks to everyone for their input. Sounds like I should try to 'isolate' the two radios through switching.. For further info: I already own the two radios - one older basic ICOM, and one brand new ICOM with all the latest bells and whistles, so adding the 'remote mic' option is not as attractive.

And I also own a handheld VHF for leaving (abandoning?) the mothership.

Follow up question: would you put the newer radio (with DSC and AIS receive) on the flybridge (where I do 90% of my driving) or in the main salon (which might be closer in an emergency or nasty weather)?

I think the AIS receiver tips the scales in favour of a flybridge installation..
BrentwoodBayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
What model is your newer ICOM? If it supports a remote mic, put that one up top and a remote mic down below. And consider replacing the older radio with another matching one at some point (and another remote mic). It's handy sometimes to have 2 radios accessible at the same time.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
The loud hailer speakers are pretty inexpensive, as I recall. Maybe just installing two, one for each VHF would simplify operation and be more satisfying long term.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Quote:
The loud hailer speakers are pretty inexpensive, as I recall. Maybe just installing two, one for each VHF would simplify operation and be more satisfying long term.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The problem with the plastic hailer speakers is that over time they all turn yellow from the UV in sunlight. Whenever I put one on the boat I paint it with 2 part polyurethane paint so it will not yellow. I use Quantum 2 part because they sell spray cans so it is very easy to do. There may be other companies that sell 2 part in a spray can but I have only used Quantum.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodBayliner View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Follow up question: would you put the newer radio (with DSC and AIS receive) on the flybridge (where I do 90% of my driving) or in the main salon (which might be closer in an emergency or nasty weather)?

I think the AIS receiver tips the scales in favour of a flybridge installation..
Interface the newer ICOM into your MFD and you’ll have a vastly more useable AIS display.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
That's exactly what I did & it works great!
Attached Thumbnails
iCom 506-11.jpg   Command Mic .jpg  
Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #16

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Thanks Dave, great tip! You are dead right - most of these things start out looking OK but every one I see lately has turned yellow and looks like crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The problem with the plastic hailer speakers is that over time they all turn yellow from the UV in sunlight. Whenever I put one on the boat I paint it with 2 part polyurethane paint so it will not yellow. I use Quantum 2 part because they sell spray cans so it is very easy to do. There may be other companies that sell 2 part in a spray can but I have only used Quantum.

Brentwood, I think that radio will put AIS & DSC data on a NMEA buss and will talk to your GPSMAP display. Much easier to see that info on the bigger display. An adapter will put it on wifi. I have a 7" tablet on the wifi so I can monitor traffic and position from anywhere on the boat when I not at the helm. Radio is mounted in out of the weather.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote