GPS Rollover (2020-2022) To Affect Select Furuno Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syjos

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Sandpiper
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Just received this from Furuno to dealers.

GPS Rollover (2020-2022)
To Affect Select Furuno Products
May 28, 2020
Service Advisory #2020-10T

Various Furuno units will be affected by GPS Rollover and other changes set to take place starting in November 2020. The following units may experience GPS positioning errors, incorrect date, or both of these issues. Devices impacted by GPS Rollover will still provide the correct GPS location, if the units are factory reset or power cycled, but the date will remain incorrect. It is recommended these legacy units be considered for replacement with newer comparable unit(s). Please refer to the following tables for more information

To see a list of affected equipment go to:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...lover.html?soid=1101311728260&aid=oj3MTWDWXpw

Nice of them to just say buy new equipment...

Nice of them to just say buy new equipment...

Sure is. I really like my Furuno GPS 32.

I have had it for nearly 20 years. I probably got my money's worth but they should have some sort of update for it.

The GPS will provide correct location but incorrect date.

I will call them tomorrow.

Sure is. I really like my Furuno GPS 32.

I have had it for nearly 20 years. I probably got my money's worth but they should have some sort of update for it.

The GPS will provide correct location but incorrect date.

I will call them tomorrow.

I have two GPS 32's and they lost the correct date and time on the April 7, 2019 roll over last year but still give the correct position. Was a little upsetting when I noticed and disappointed when I got no real reponce from Furuno USA other than to get a new one.

Last edited:
Syjos, Let us know what you find out. I have a GPS-32 as well. Since it only feeds location data to my network I’m probably fine but I’m curious what Furuno has to say.

Syjos, Let us know what you find out. I have a GPS-32 as well. Since it only feeds location data to my network I’m probably fine but I’m curious what Furuno has to say.

Will do and post what I learn.

Talked to a Furuno Tech at Camas.

They are 99.99% positive that after the GPS Rollover, the GPS will provide correct positioning but the date will be wrong.

They recommend a Factory Reset via Settings Menu for most devices. Some will reset after the power cord is unplugged for a minute and plugged back in.

There are no software updates or patches.

The Rollove will affect plotters and GPS equipped VHF radios.

On PC chartplotters, the date is provided by Windows so will remain correct.

The rollover is similar to Y2K.

Contact Furuno for any information for specific models:

If you have any questions, you may visit our website (www.FurunoUSA.com) and click on "Get Support," then "Ask a Question." You may also contact a Furuno support technician at either our Camas, WA facility, (360) 834-9300 or at our Denton, MD facility, (410) 479-4420.

Furuno USA, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom