GPS - Chart Plotter Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Navionics on an iPad almost exclusively. My cruising grounds are the west coast of BC from Van to Port Hardy. Never had a problem, it is very intuitive to use. I back up with paper charts that Canadian Hydro is very proud of. The only issue is that running that software with the GPS is a power hog. You will need back up power, probably a back up iPad and power at the nav station. A few years back I used the same system all the way to Prince Rupert.

This is one reason I don't recommend the iPad a a primary nav source, and prefer hardwired gear.

I disagree here. Bad Elf makes a great GPS antenna that plugs into an iPad. Older iPads didn't have GPS modules so this was the only way to get them to work as accurate nav units.

An old iPad using Navionics and a Bad Elf is our back up navigation system. Works very well as a lower helm unit in the meantime using Raymarines app which emulates the main plotter in a fully functional display.

If the plotter fails I can use the stand-alone Navionics platform on the iPad. Bonus is the iPad can be moved to whatever helm you want. We've installed mounts at both helms for that purpose.

I disagree here. Bad Elf makes a great GPS antenna that plugs into an iPad. Older iPads didn't have GPS modules so this was the only way to get them to work as accurate nav units.

An old iPad using Navionics and a Bad Elf is our back up navigation system. Works very well as a lower helm unit in the meantime using Raymarines app which emulates the main plotter in a fully functional display.

If the plotter fails I can use the stand-alone Navionics platform on the iPad. Bonus is the iPad can be moved to whatever helm you want. We've installed mounts at both helms for that purpose.

I concur completely with the use of the Bad Elf antenna. We have used ours with and without the Bad Elf and the advantage to the Bad Elf is that you can move it to where you get the best sat coverage while the iPad remains where the helmsman can see it. I have found that hard wired equipment has a steep learning curve, (at least for this computer luddite). Navigating through Whirlpool Rapids is not the time to be fooling with the nav system. With Navionics I can take this home and play with it.
That said, use whatever works.

Hello jdscott3. Hey, I just refurbished my boat in Anacortes with new Furuno. I took off somewhat dated (2004) Northstar equipment ... 10” MFD, 6” MfD, 24” radome, Standard Horizon. It was all fully functional when the boat was surveyed last December. I don’t know if the transducer is there or useable. You can have it all for free if you are interested. Let me know if you are interested. The shop is right in town.

Hi jdscott3. I have two Northstar MFD’s (10” & 6”) with 24” Northstar radome sitting in Anacortes. Also a Standard Horizi VHF. They all worked as of last December. I just upgraded to new Furuno system, the Northstar is 2004. Youcan have it all for free if you want to pick it up. Call me if you are interested 720 480 8652. Good luck!

Get a Bad Elf GPS for you Ipad https://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2200
. https://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2200

I have used one for over 2 years on the Great Lakes and for land nav in the US, Canada and England. I has bee in the less than 1 meter range of my Standard Horizon Chart plotter. More features cheaper maps and NMEA intefaces available. I expect that dedicated chart plotters will die in favor of portable devices.

Hi Rondalw1, I also have an '87 Jefferson 42.
I use 9" Lowrance HDS Carbon & Live MFDs. I've had Raymarine and Garmin but disappointed with their lack of continuity supporting use of older tech. in the network. I have been able to network my old Lowrance HDS gen 1- carbon MFDs and newer units come along. It's great to keep an old unit so you can have a MFD on the transom when fishing.
I also like the Gofree app that lets you remote to a phone or tablet. If you add an Android dongle to a monitor or TV, you can have any size screen! I like watching the helm displayed on our salon 43" flat screen when my wife is on watch and I'm down in the Galley grabbing food. I also put a flatscreen on the back deck to display sonar and sidescan displays to the group when we're fishing.

Here's a video from the 2017 Vancouver International Boat Show, a seminar on electronics. Its general enough so that he even though the date is "dated," the generalizations are still true:

I just watched the entire presentation and it's absolutely fantastic! It answered so many questions that I've had over the years but never bothered to research.:thumb:

Coastal Explorer (with C Map and/or NOAA) is great offshore or in simple areas but if you are working shallow water and or the ICW you want Navionics Sonar Charts. I run them back to back and Navionics has by far and away the best depth resolution. I understand that Garmin has now caught up since they bought Navionics but I haven’t had a chance to check it out. AquaMap is also good for general cruising on an IPad and now they have released Master you can download ICW Survey data and GPX tracks through the ICW plus link it to your Nav data.

I have had Raymarine on the last 4 boats we have owned. Really like them and have had outstanding support from Raymarine.

Cool, I have an IPad. Will look at that as well. Thanks
Ron

I didn't finish reading through all the posts, but if it hasn't been said already the Navionics Boating USA app for around $10 is excellent with your iPad. Not sure but it might even come with a free trial.

I own a Raymarine GPS system for my center console. Now I am looking for a portable marine GPS for my new jetski. Anyone has experience with Garmin 78sc? From what I am reading about it, seems to have everything I need. Any other recommendations?

I own a Raymarine GPS system for my center console. Now I am looking for a portable marine GPS for my new jetski. Anyone has experience with Garmin 78sc? From what I am reading about it, seems to have everything I need. Any other recommendations?

How about a Lifeproof case for your smartphone and the AquaMap app? You probably have your phone with, anyway. Why purchase another device?

You will need back up power, probably a back up iPad and power at the nav station. A few years back I used the same system all the way to Prince Rupert.

Same problem...until I bought an adapter from Apple Store that allows me to use both the external GPS and the charging cord plugged into 12VDC USB outlet. It will now run forever!

I’ve got a 1982 Californian LRC 42’ Trawler, in Southern California, and am trying to find out which Garmin Chartplotter version (with Radar) would work well. And also looking at Simrad autopilot which I understand can integrate with Garmin. But want to make sure. Would love recommendations on models, etc. that would work well.

Back
Top Bottom