Genset making strange clicking noise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain K

Vessel Name
GITANA
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
My 8kW Kohler, three banger genset makes strange clicking noises sometimes. It'll be running smooth as a baby's butt for hours on end, then suddenly start making this "clicking" sound. Oil pressure and water temp remain within normal range, but I do notice blue-gray smoke coming from a normally clear exhaust, and what appears to be unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. I shut it down immediately, let it sit for a few minutes, re-start, and, often-as-not, the clicking goes away. Any thoughts on what this might be, and what can be done about it would be very much appreciated. Cheers to all!

Sounds like it could be the shutdown solenoid acting erratically. Might be a loose wire on the solenoid, the temp sensor, or the oil pressure sensor. Just guessing here.

Thanks Craig. I'll take a look at that. My thought was that it might be a valve problem. Perhaps I should've posted this under "Power Systems?"

Today's minor noise could be tomorrow's major problem. Remove and clean solenoid wires and check for green stuff, if no luck get at Kohler guy to assess - and maybe not run genet until fixed.

Other than "from the engine" can you pinpoint where the noise is comming from? upper engine like the rocker arms/valve train, or injection pump or injectors?
Wondering if it's air in the fuel lines.

My 8kW Kohler, three banger genset makes strange clicking noises sometimes. It'll be running smooth as a baby's butt for hours on end, then suddenly start making this "clicking" sound. Oil pressure and water temp remain within normal range, but I do notice blue-gray smoke coming from a normally clear exhaust, and what appears to be unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. I shut it down immediately, let it sit for a few minutes, re-start, and, often-as-not, the clicking goes away. Any thoughts on what this might be, and what can be done about it would be very much appreciated. Cheers to all!

Motorwaterpump ?????
just one from 1000 cause.

Other than "from the engine" can you pinpoint where the noise is comming from? upper engine like the rocker arms/valve train, or injection pump or injectors?
Wondering if it's air in the fuel lines.

Can't really pinpoint it...could be from the rocker arms. Frankly I suspect a sticking valve. What do you think?

Mechanical fuel pumps can make that sound too and contribute to the symptoms. But this is all completely idle speculation. Pay someone who knows what they are doing 100 bucks and get the right answer.

Sounds like a fuel injector on its way out to me, If its a Kolher 8kw it may be a 3GM yanmar painted white, the fuel sol will start to kill the engine or loose rpm if its clicking or dropping out, If its in the valve train it will sound slower than engine speed or 1/2 speed, if you are seeing smoke in the exhaust I would do a injector drop out test, its real easy just need a 17mm wrench, start and run the genset with no load, one at a time loosen the high pressure nut on the injectors till it leaks then tighten it up , you should hear the injector that is not up to snuff by the amount of rpm change, the bad one wont make too much of a change , good luck Craig

Can't really pinpoint it...could be from the rocker arms. Frankly I suspect a sticking valve. What do you think?

Harbor Freight sells a tool similar to a doctor's stethoscope with a probe that's used to pinpoint sounds like yours. Lacking that (it's only a few dollars), you can put handle of a long screwdriver to your eat and move the tip around to try to localize the noise.

image_18203.jpg

Mechanic's Stethoscope

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom