Generator is Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys sound like a bunch of blow boaters with all this talk of solar panels and fuel cells. Next you’ll be adding wind mills and towed generators. Real men use internal combustion engines. :D

+1 :rofl:

I have a generator and I am not afraid to use it.
Of course I have 2X130watt solar panel and an 1800watt inverter and a paltry 3X4D batteries.

Last edited:
+1 :rofl:

I have a generator and I am not afraid to use it.
I get that. For me it really started with the desire to not have to seek out a shore power connection in order to leave the fridge running for a few days when leaving the boat unattended. Solar offered a practical solution to that need, and it's hard not to get hooked once using it.

I'm not afraid to use my generator, but prefer that it be done out of choice rather than necessity.

It's nice to have options...generator and solar. My buddy recently added wind for the Electron Trifecta.

Greg, remember when considering a 32ft boat. That is all inclusive including the bow pulpit. AND if you measure it including the swim platform. So your 32ft now becomes a 34ft boat.
Okay back to 32ft. That is LOA. That puts the internal length at about 28ft. Putting two people who deeply love each other may work but it would work much better if the water line length was 32ft or in my case LOA 34 (unless you measure it the new way and then it is a 36) and a WLL of 32. See where I am going with this. Look at WWL if you are going to live and cruise great distances.

Thanks for everyone’s input on my original post. It seems there are many suggestions and advice I can rely on in making decisions regarding power.
Also, thanks for the offer of a 2020 3.5 kw generator, close by, for $7,600.00. But I’m just not comfortable spending that kind of money on a 37 year old boat that I’m probably not hanging onto that much longer.
While I was on the boat yesterday tearing out the wiring and selector switch from the old generator I realized that I can just take the old #10 wire and wire it to a 3000 watt inverter, leave all the batteries in place, put the selector switch on “All” and switch the shore power switch to “generator”. Of course I would have to shut the breakers off for the battery charger, AC, and water heater. My backup, in case I run the batteries down would be the Honda. It would also make hot water if I’m on the hook.
So that would be it, until I sell it and get another boat with a whole other set of issues.

I just got a Honda gen this week. As with everything they are very hard to get w a number of dealers saying they had no idea when they would get one. We will use it this season and then decide whether to rebuild the existing gen or stay w the Honda

Oh, I don't know. Toilet paper is an easy get and gas at the pump remains inexpensive and available, no gas lines.
I just got a Honda gen this week. As with everything they are very hard to get w a number of dealers saying they had no idea when they would get one. We will use it this season and then decide whether to rebuild the existing gen or stay w the Honda

Back
Top Bottom