Generator broke, what now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gumbalaya

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rosi Heyerdahl
Vessel Make
Inter-Leja Eurobanker 34’
My generator broke.
Since I haven’t really used it I’m contemplating to throw it out.
For weight distribution, what would you recommend to replace it with?

If you are not using the generator, consider a bank of golf cart batteries and a quality marine inverter and a robust means of charging.
I think you may have a hard time selling the boat in the future without a generator though. How big of a boat and where is it.

Now that`s a hard one, but if you look at the OP`s post......
Can't see much OP detail on a cell phone, but now I can on a laptop.
38' and Europe. SO I see the question is does he ever need Air Cond? If not, go inverter.

Greetings,
Mr. G. I also want to know. What do you mean "broke"? Several variables involved here. As mentioned, resale without a genny may affect eventual selling price. Batteries have a finite lifespan. Compare genny repairs to a substantial battery bank and replacement cost of dead batteries over the time you anticipate keeping the boat.
How you use the boat will also determine ballast. Be it a repaired genny, more batteries or provisions...

200.gif

If you, like some of us, have no use for a generator then get rid of it.

If the generator was close to the centre of the boat, weight distribution may not be a major concern. If it was at the stern, you could make it up with batteries or an extra water/fuel tank.

Just have a look at your water level at the boot stripe before and after removal. You can then add temporary weight (people) in the area you are considering to add weight to how much is required to realign the weight distribution.

If you are not using the generator, consider a bank of golf cart batteries and a quality marine inverter and a robust means of charging.
I think you may have a hard time selling the boat in the future without a generator though. How big of a boat and where is it.

Thanks High Wire,

good ideas. It's the boat in my profile. I'm landlocked and in case of sale (not planned ever as I love her dearly) chances are that she'll stay local (here in Switzerland) where hardly anybody take out their boot longer than a day or two.

Can't see much OP detail on a cell phone, but now I can on a laptop.
38' and Europe. SO I see the question is does he ever need Air Cond? If not, go inverter.

Correct. Although climate change produces more heatwaves and storms, I don't think AC is needed much on the rather colder waters around here.

Greetings,
Mr. G. I also want to know. What do you mean "broke"? Several variables involved here. As mentioned, resale without a genny may affect eventual selling price. Batteries have a finite lifespan. Compare genny repairs to a substantial battery bank and replacement cost of dead batteries over the time you anticipate keeping the boat.
How you use the boat will also determine ballast. Be it a repaired genny, more batteries or provisions...

200.gif

Thanks Fire!
As said in replies: no AC needed around here and no plans to ever sell. I like the inverter and battery extension ideas from replies.

If you, like some of us, have no use for a generator then get rid of it.

If the generator was close to the centre of the boat, weight distribution may not be a major concern. If it was at the stern, you could make it up with batteries or an extra water/fuel tank.

Just have a look at your water level at the boot stripe before and after removal. You can then add temporary weight (people) in the area you are considering to add weight to how much is required to realign the weight distribution.

Thansk AusCan,

the gen is installed on the starboard side, mid-section. I got 900l fresh water and 1400l Diesel tanks and think I'm fine with the capacity. I might go with extra battery bank, inverter.

I would consider fixing it if the age and overall condition make it worth that level of repair. Unless you just want to free up some space in the engine room

As a battery bank or tank installation and removal of the generator will most assuredly exceed that amount. More batteries will then want a larger alternator with multi stage charger, maybe solar panel or two, etc.

I would consider fixing it if the age and overall condition make it worth that level of repair. Unless you just want to free up some space in the engine room

As a battery bank or tank installation and removal of the generator will most assuredly exceed that amount. More batteries will then want a larger alternator with multi stage charger, maybe solar panel or two, etc.

Thanks ktdtx,

I got 2 large solar panels, in fact they produce all the electric power I ever need, never ran the generator. Repair would be well above 1500 francs. I guess I'll just have to compare.

What make and model generator? We can find the weight and recommend equivalent weight battery bank.

For that price, it must be the electrical end. I recommend you save up and get it fixed.
You cannot project a NEED but, it's nice to have around.
Sort like your ACs, you man never NEED them but, it is nice to have them around, just in case.

Even the major yachts, many many solar panels.... they have a generator, just in case.

One model of the AT, 2 staterooms, does not have a generator. They stole the Gen space and put in a second stateroom, added solar panels. I immediately removed it from my "consider" list. Others feel totally different, solar all the way. Guess it is just me.
Even if it is a 2KW diesel gen, I would still want a diesel gen dedicated to charging the batteries and it takes 3 day to charge the batteries, just brings me comfort.
Per roof mounted gas gen, or portable generator, no thanks. Gasoline on a boat makes me feel uncomfortable.
I cannot fathom not having AC here in south FL. I suspect one cannot get enough solar panels on a under 40 ft boat with lots of roof space, to support one or two ACs

Generator need. Is the boat on one of the Swiss lakes or is it in the Med? if on the lakes no need for the generator until the boat is sold as someone may want to take it to the Med.

Of course the Western Med is not known as a hotbed of anchoring out.

Hi meridian, produces only 120V anymore, repair runs north of 1500 francs (Switzerland).

I got 2 large solar panels, in fact they produce all the electric power I ever need, never ran the generator. Repair would be well above 1500 francs. I guess I'll just have to compare.

What make/model of generator? How many volts did it produce, before? It doesn't just happen to be on purpose a 120V genset, does it? With 120V appliances on board? In other words, more like a typical U.S. boat versus using European current?

Anyway, looks like Swiss francs and US dollars are about at parity, just now, so about $1500... in the grand scheme of all things boat, maybe that's not all that expensive to fix.

I'd guess the aircon's reverse cycle heating may sometimes be of use in Switzerland, though... and the generator would in turn be useful for powering that.

?

-Chris

What make/model of generator? How many volts did it produce, before? It doesn't just happen to be on purpose a 120V genset, does it? With 120V appliances on board? In other words, more like a typical U.S. boat versus using European current?

Anyway, looks like Swiss francs and US dollars are about at parity, just now, so about $1500... in the grand scheme of all things boat, maybe that's not all that expensive to fix.

I'd guess the aircon's reverse cycle heating may sometimes be of use in Switzerland, though... and the generator would in turn be useful for powering that.

?
-Chris

Years ago, I had the electrical end of my Westerbek 8KW go belly up. Tech removed it, took it back to the shop, fixed, brought it back, reinstalled it. I shrugged, paid the bill and never looked back. This was my back up generator to he 'daymnit 20KW'.

For that price, it must be the electrical end. I recommend you save up and get it fixed.
You cannot project a NEED but, it's nice to have around.
Sort like your ACs, you man never NEED them but, it is nice to have them around, just in case.

Even the major yachts, many many solar panels.... they have a generator, just in case.

One model of the AT, 2 staterooms, does not have a generator. They stole the Gen space and put in a second stateroom, added solar panels. I immediately removed it from my "consider" list. Others feel totally different, solar all the way. Guess it is just me.
Even if it is a 2KW diesel gen, I would still want a diesel gen dedicated to charging the batteries and it takes 3 day to charge the batteries, just brings me comfort.
Per roof mounted gas gen, or portable generator, no thanks. Gasoline on a boat makes me feel uncomfortable.
I cannot fathom not having AC here in south FL. I suspect one cannot get enough solar panels on a under 40 ft boat with lots of roof space, to support one or two ACs

Thanks, still considering all options. Great help from all the posts.

Generator need. Is the boat on one of the Swiss lakes or is it in the Med? if on the lakes no need for the generator until the boat is sold as someone may want to take it to the Med.

Of course the Western Med is not known as a hotbed of anchoring out.

River Aare with three lakes connected, largest waterway in the country, some 200miles.

?

-Chris

No, it ran at 220 before but again: only tested, never really needed. Weighing all options now. Repair vs other options might be similar in cost.
Thanks for your thoughts, great advice.

Years ago, I had the electrical end of my Westerbek 8KW go belly up. Tech removed it, took it back to the shop, fixed, brought it back, reinstalled it. I shrugged, paid the bill and never looked back. This was my back up generator to he 'daymnit 20KW'.

I might acquire an energy-rich hobby to make it count then :)

Gumbalaya, You`ve not said how long you owned the boat,but as I understand it you`ve never run it except for a test, don`t know the brand or the output. Onan says run it weekly for at least half an hour, I think mainly to maintain the generation.
I think you`ve established you don`t need it. But,someone else might when you eventually sell,and depending when, it might still be repairable and help you sell it. If that`s not persuasive,you have a good place to locate some more batts for a truly genset free boat.

Gumbalaya, You`ve not said how long you owned the boat,but as I understand it you`ve never run it except for a test, don`t know the brand or the output. Onan says run it weekly for at least half an hour, I think mainly to maintain the generation.
I think you`ve established you don`t need it. But,someone else might when you eventually sell,and depending when, it might still be repairable and help you sell it. If that`s not persuasive,you have a good place to locate some more batts for a truly genset free boat.

Thanks, I'll check how bad it is and if repaired will run it periodically. Might also help to burn the 1300l Diesel I still have on board from the predecessor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom