Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Solothurn
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
For that price, it must be the electrical end. I recommend you save up and get it fixed.
You cannot project a NEED but, it's nice to have around.
Sort like your ACs, you man never NEED them but, it is nice to have them around, just in case.

Even the major yachts, many many solar panels.... they have a generator, just in case.

One model of the AT, 2 staterooms, does not have a generator. They stole the Gen space and put in a second stateroom, added solar panels. I immediately removed it from my "consider" list. Others feel totally different, solar all the way. Guess it is just me.
Even if it is a 2KW diesel gen, I would still want a diesel gen dedicated to charging the batteries and it takes 3 day to charge the batteries, just brings me comfort.
Per roof mounted gas gen, or portable generator, no thanks. Gasoline on a boat makes me feel uncomfortable.
I cannot fathom not having AC here in south FL. I suspect one cannot get enough solar panels on a under 40 ft boat with lots of roof space, to support one or two ACs
Thanks, still considering all options. Great help from all the posts.
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Generator need. Is the boat on one of the Swiss lakes or is it in the Med? if on the lakes no need for the generator until the boat is sold as someone may want to take it to the Med.

Of course the Western Med is not known as a hotbed of anchoring out.
River Aare with three lakes connected, largest waterway in the country, some 200miles.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What make/model of generator? How many volts did it produce, before? It doesn't just happen to be on purpose a 120V genset, does it? With 120V appliances on board? In other words, more like a typical U.S. boat versus using European current?

Anyway, looks like Swiss francs and US dollars are about at parity, just now, so about $1500... in the grand scheme of all things boat, maybe that's not all that expensive to fix.

I'd guess the aircon's reverse cycle heating may sometimes be of use in Switzerland, though... and the generator would in turn be useful for powering that.

?

-Chris
No, it ran at 220 before but again: only tested, never really needed. Weighing all options now. Repair vs other options might be similar in cost.
Thanks for your thoughts, great advice.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Years ago, I had the electrical end of my Westerbek 8KW go belly up. Tech removed it, took it back to the shop, fixed, brought it back, reinstalled it. I shrugged, paid the bill and never looked back. This was my back up generator to he 'daymnit 20KW'.
I might acquire an energy-rich hobby to make it count then
Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Gumbalaya, You`ve not said how long you owned the boat,but as I understand it you`ve never run it except for a test, don`t know the brand or the output. Onan says run it weekly for at least half an hour, I think mainly to maintain the generation.
I think you`ve established you don`t need it. But,someone else might when you eventually sell,and depending when, it might still be repairable and help you sell it. If that`s not persuasive,you have a good place to locate some more batts for a truly genset free boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Gumbalaya, You`ve not said how long you owned the boat,but as I understand it you`ve never run it except for a test, don`t know the brand or the output. Onan says run it weekly for at least half an hour, I think mainly to maintain the generation.
I think you`ve established you don`t need it. But,someone else might when you eventually sell,and depending when, it might still be repairable and help you sell it. If that`s not persuasive,you have a good place to locate some more batts for a truly genset free boat.
Thanks, I'll check how bad it is and if repaired will run it periodically. Might also help to burn the 1300l Diesel I still have on board from the predecessor.