Old 07-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Garmin Wi-Fi -- why?

New-to-us, unfamiliar Garmin ecosystem... with a 2015-era 7612xsv MFD, radar, and DST.

I've updated the software to current, and I've updated original G2 charts to G3. Garmin user support very helpful for that; easy although it led to a really looooong chart download over relatively decent marina Wi-Fi to SD card in the ship's laptop...

So now I've enabled the unit's Wi-Fi LAN... but I'm not exactly clear about what it might do for me.

It looks to me like the Garmin ActiveCaptain app -- on a tablet or whatever -- may be necessary to take another step. (No other apps will work? Wouldn't surprise me...)

I'm familiar with the original AC, contributed markers and reviews and so forth in the past, but the current Garmin app goes on about a bunch of other stuff, too...

Anyway, what could I use the Garmin Wi-Fi for, that I might care about? Engine room cameras come to mind, but that's all I've thought if, so far... and I haven't looked further into whether Wi-Fi camera display on the MFD is really possible...

Thoughts?

-Chris
Old 07-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I mirror my MFD on a tablet running Active Captain. It works well.

Edit to add that you can also do software and map updates through the app using your phone's mobile network.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
You can mirror and control the Garmin display head(s) over WiFi with a phone or tablet. Yes, I think it's now the ActiveCaptain app, used to be called Helm or something. Personally, I'd prefer to stream the NMEA data so I could run third party or open source chart plotter apps like OpenCPN.

I haven't found a lot of uses for it, other than to mess with the person at the helm by remotely changing things on their display. I think it might work well for monitoring the anchor set or keeping an eye on things when you're not on watch, but I already have software I prefer for both those things anyway.

But I'm always interested to hear how others have made use of this feature.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Comes in handy when you are sleeping in your cabin and you want to know what is going on in the middle of the night. Just pick up your tablet, check out the data and if all is well go back to sleep.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:02 AM   #5

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Create routes/waypoints on Active Captain on a tablet or PC, then upload to your chartplotter over WiFi.

Or use your favorite tablet/PC navigation program (Navionics, Coastal Explorer, etc.) to create a .gpx file of your route, import to Active Captain, then upload to the Garmin Chartplotter.

Anchor alarm in your berth using your phone or tablet with the Active Captain app linked to your chartplotter.
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
Guru

Our watchstanders also have AquaMap and sometimes iSailor active on our tablets, and TimeZero on the laptop... so I'm not seeing much value (for us) in mirroring the Garmin charts to a tablet?

All three of those have anchor alarms, too, so I guess no need to leave the MFD turned on...

Our engine displays are separate, so that info isn't routed to the MFD. I think I'd have found that to be useful on a tablet, but doubt I'll bother to echo the MAN info to the Garmin... for display on a tablet.

Have to admit, I'm a lightweight when it comes to setting waypoints and routes in advance. I think I had maybe 15 waypoints on the Chesapeake set, after about 11 years with the previous system. We mostly use that autopilot in the "just go straight" mode. The new-to-us Raymarine autopilot on this boat isn't integrated into the rest of the system yet (nor is the VHF). I've captured most of our previous tracks in TZ, though, could convert those to routes, I guess...

FWIW, the G3 chart download -- ~24 gB from Garmin website to laptop/SD card using Garmin Express -- took something like 6-8 hours over marina Wi-Fi here... after the first attempt failed at about the 9 hour mark. I had originally thought I could download the large files when I was still at home with wired Intenet service, but... instead, first had to insert the new SD card into the MFD to get some Garmin info written to the SD card before beginning... so had to wait to do that until we got to the boat. Anyway, given the size and duration of the download, I'd wonder whether the AC app could have done any better.

-Chris
Old 07-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #7

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Chris, I have dual 7612's and a 942. I don't really use the screen mirroring either. I've never found a need. I only tie into the garmin network to update software via Active Captain. It's easier to download the update to your phone then upload to the plotter network via the app than to mess with the SD cards. App keeps track of what equipment you have and tells you if there are any updates.

P.S.... when are we going to hear about the new ride in your profile pic?? Haven't seen any posts and curious about your shopping experience and how you settled on the 58 SB and what your impressions are so far...
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
I only tie into the garmin network to update software via Active Captain. It's easier to download the update to your phone then upload to the plotter network via the app than to mess with the SD cards. App keeps track of what equipment you have and tells you if there are any updates.

P.S.... when are we going to hear about the new ride in your profile pic?? Haven't seen any posts and curious about your shopping experience and how you settled on the 58 SB and what your impressions are so far...

Maybe I'll trot out a post about the new-to-us ride.... once we get it running.

We're starting by doing all of the catch-up MAN maintenance (the previous owner ignored), plus some mandatory engine repairs (ditto), plus genset overhaul (ditto), fixing some other important issues (replacing failing Vacu-Flush bits and pieces, non-working bilge pumps and floats, replacing failing AC raw water strainers and flushing the encrusted lines, etc.), and then we're also addressing a bazillion other smaller issues. Once the new exhaust risers arrive and the Gulf Coast Diesel guys finish up, we'll be able to get underway... heading north, the wrong time of year.

Given the length of the Garmin chart download, I'd have thought the SD card would be easier. But maybe that's also 'cause my phone is getting a bit long in the tooth, and always yapping at me about storage space too.

How often do Garmin chart updates happen? My guess, from G2 to G3, is
"not very often." Or are there smaller updates that happen at various times within the G3 series? (The NOAA charts we used in our previous Furuno system were updated at least once/year, free.)

-Chris
Old 07-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #9

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Maybe I'll trot out a post about the new-to-us ride.... once we get it running.

We're starting by doing all of the catch-up MAN maintenance (the previous owner ignored), plus some mandatory engine repairs (ditto), plus genset overhaul (ditto), fixing some other important issues (replacing failing Vacu-Flush bits and pieces, non-working bilge pumps and floats, replacing failing AC raw water strainers and flushing the encrusted lines, etc.), and then we're also addressing a bazillion other smaller issues. Once the new exhaust risers arrive and the Gulf Coast Diesel guys finish up, we'll be able to get underway... heading north, the wrong time of year.

Given the length of the Garmin chart download, I'd have thought the SD card would be easier. But maybe that's also 'cause my phone is getting a bit long in the tooth, and always yapping at me about storage space too.

How often do Garmin chart updates happen? My guess, from G2 to G3, is
"not very often." Or are there smaller updates that happen at various times within the G3 series? (The NOAA charts we used in our previous Furuno system were updated at least once/year, free.)

-Chris
Ah... the joys of buying a new boat. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

As to the map updates, I confess I've only done firmware updates on my system, not the map updates. So SD card may be faster. I just like the simplicity of using the app. As long as you have a wifi connection you can do an update right then and there.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
I've been learning the Garmin ecosystem as well.

Wifi seems to only be usable with the Active Captain app. That app will install new software, update charts, sync routes and tracks, and mirror the MFD on a phone (?) or tablet. Not much use beyond that. The wifi can't be connected to a network or the internet.

I use it for importing routes I create other places. Create the route, export it as GPX file, import it to the AC app on my phone, connected the phone to the MFD wifi, run the AC app to load to the MFD, and then try to remember to disconnect from the Garmin wifi.

For loading software updates and new charts I've found it much faster and more reliable to load them to an SD card at home (Garmin has an app for copying charts this way) and then plugging the card into the MFD. Trying this via the AC app has never worked very well for me.

When I asked Garmin about chart updates they said "We tend to update twice a year."

Like I said, I'm still learning so take the above with a grain of salt.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #11

City: Duvall, WA
My understanding is it's effectively only for use with their app, because they're too lazy (or secretive) to build their units to work with the Garmin Marine Network (which is....hmmm...IP over Ethernet) as a holistic networking option.
pjtemplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven
I have it on my 7610.the other comments here are accurate. For me, it’s pretty useless….almost like a solution looking for a problem. At the end of the day it’s quicker and easier for me just use an SD card to transfer data
dsherburn is offline   Reply With Quote