Garmin 741xs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Were getting two of these to use as a backup sounder/plotter. Anybody have personal experience/ review on the 741xs, it's probably late to ask this but whatever.

Attachments

• image-659467054.jpg
    image-659467054.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,137
This is my choice for backup as well, Oliver. The price/capability is hard to beat. Plug and play with the rest of my Garmin stuff. I also use and I-Pad, but it's hard to make out in sunlight.

This is my choice for backup as well, Oliver. The price/capability is hard to beat. Plug and play with the rest of my Garmin stuff. I also use and I-Pad, but it's hard to make out in sunlight.
Yeah, I noticed it had that wireless capability, what a plus!

I have the 740 w/o sounder or wireless capability.

I use it exclusively for navigation and love it. I have a more capable Ray unit but much prefer the Garmin's brighter display and easy to see route lines. Plus the software seems more intuitive.

It's a great second MFD but the screen is a little small for radar display.

I do all my route planning on Homeport, Garmins PC interface. Using Homeports transfer and conversion features I transfer all my routes and waypts to both the Garmin and Ray unit. Both units have exactly the same routes and waypts.

Last edited:
I have a 740s with sounder that I installed. It's older than what you have and I think they added faster software with the upgrade. Mine is fantastic. I would definitely get the sounder plugged in. In our waters in NC, there are alot of shoals and shallow spots. The depth finder has a nice adjustable log of depths and temps.

The GPS is decent, but in not all cases are the graphics for land in North Carolina correct. This is mostly due to our shifting barrier islands, so more a local issue than with Garmin. I am considering the bluechart add on, but really can't justify the $200-$250 for what essentially is a gadget upgrade. Could paint the decks and or bilges with that money...

Also what I love about the Garmins is there weather/Sirius service, we have it on a 441s on our Camano and love it! It also gives you a list of fuel dock, Marina's and other stuff near with phone numbers, emails, etc. That's why we opted for these.

I just bought the 740s I got it for 750 with my port supply. Know I see it's going to be 300 off on 12/15 at west marine. I called the store an they said they'd give me the difference. I have an old Garmin 2006c I'm hoping the transducer will hook up to the 740 I also bought a Garmin ghp-12 autopilot I'm hoping will hook up to my pump an existing wiring from my navico system. I'll probably start wiring in a few days.

I just bought the 740s I got it for 750 with my port supply. Know I see it's going to be 300 off on 12/15 at west marine. I called the store an they said they'd give me the difference. I have an old Garmin 2006c I'm hoping the transducer will hook up to the 740 I also bought a Garmin ghp-12 autopilot I'm hoping will hook up to my pump an existing wiring from my navico system. I'll probably start wiring in a few days.
Interesting, don't think your pump or sounder will work with your equipment though, I could be wrong.

I bought a chart, plotter and dividers. Cost me $19.95. Worked fine since 1962. No batteries required.

I bought a chart, plotter and dividers. Cost me $19.95. Worked fine since 1962. No batteries required.
We have charts, as backups. We prefer electronics as a primary in this day in age.

As long as you don't leave the chart. Do you change course when you get to the edge of the chart? I prefer a slightly larger cruising area myself.

Captain K - Today - you are my mofo hero. Well said sir, well said.

Now, for the rest of the story...

I grew up on the Chesapeake cruising with my dad. Learned charts because I had to. GPS wasn't deployed in 1972. And dad sometimes liked to cruise in the dark. So I learned what "18 FL G 4s" meant pretty fast and how to triangulate our position in the dark because my dad was doing the driving.

A good set of binoculars is a good item to have as well.

I still love the GPS, but cross referencing the electronic and traditional tools gives added assurance and bolsters our skills.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom