Garmin 4012 or 5012 touch screen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alemao

Guru
Vessel Name
ORIGINAL
Vessel Make
Hi Star 55
The functions are the same, but the value is about $ 1,200.00 cheaper for the 4012.
Any sugestion?

The functions are the same, but the value is about $ 1,200.00 cheaper for the 4012.
Any sugestion?

I've gotten kinda partial to touch screens. But, I would have to take a hard look at the price and the screen size.

I really like my touch screen and you get more screen for the same physical size if size is an issue at your helm.

Panning, in particular, is much easier with a touch screen.

I had to make the same decision and went with the 4012. I snack a lot when on board (drink too much to) so my hands either have oil from potatoe chips or wet from soft (?) drinks. I figured I would be cleaning the screen a lot! True that panning would be easier for $1200 more.

You really only notice fingerprints on the screen when the display is turned off.

I didn't know that. My wife would have me cleaning it everytime I turned it off. I do like the idea as panning is a lot easier with the touch screen. When I hit the PowerBall Wednesday night for $425 Million I will go buy one. Not the 5012 but the Garmin Corporation!!:dance:

Garmin is coming out with their new generation MFDs in the coming year, so you may want to wait. Alternatively, you may want to look at the comparable offerings from Simrad, Raymarine, Lowrance, and Furuno.

IMO the current generation of Garmin products is long in the tooth and buying them now would be a mistake.

If you are open to looking at other brands, I would suggest looking at Simrad. They offer displays that have touchscreens and, optionally, manual controls, which has a certain allure. Plus the broadband radar in its 4G iteration looks pretty impressive along with the structurescan DS.

In 2011 we looked at Garmin, Simrad, and Furuno, and ultimately selected Furuno due to its bulletproof reputation.

Every component they shipped was faulty, and when things were finally sorted out the upper helm display was only marginally viewable in sunlight. (This was a NavNet vx2 system, installed by qualified professionals.)

We had previously installed a smaller Lowrance (same family as Simrad) MFD at the upper helm and it was trouble free and very viewable.

Regards,

I had to make the same decision and went with the 4012. I snack a lot when on board (drink too much to) so my hands either have oil from potatoe chips or wet from soft (?) drinks. I figured I would be cleaning the screen a lot! True that panning would be easier for $1200 more.

I've been useing touch screens for years in all conditions even with engine oil cookin grease etc. and do take car to keep em clean but thats not possible. I have never damaged one or failed to be able to read the display because of dirty bingers. I mean when u first get one its like with a new anything you walk tippy toed but after u get to know em its business as usual and they are up to the jobh even if your wife aint

jwinner said:
I didn't know that. My wife would have me cleaning it everytime I turned it off. I do like the idea as panning is a lot easier with the touch screen. When I hit the PowerBall Wednesday night for $425 Million I will go buy one. Not the 5012 but the Garmin Corporation!!:dance:

Don't forget me my friend :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Pau Hana said:
Garmin is coming out with their new generation MFDs in the coming year, so you may want to wait. Alternatively, you may want to look at the comparable offerings from Simrad, Raymarine, Lowrance, and Furuno.

IMO the current generation of Garmin products is long in the tooth and buying them now would be a mistake.

I need to decide and buy, I intend to cruise to Brazil- Rio next January.

You can get the touch screen and save some money by going to MegaGPS.com They sell the 4012 for $2050 and the 5012 for $2800. If I had the money I would go with the 5012 as I like the touch screen features.

I don’t know anything about Ipads or tablet computers.

But I have known Jeff Seigel for years, well before Active Captain started and I trust his judgement. He really likes the Garmin pre-release version of Blue charts for the Ipad.

If you go to activecaptain.com, and click on newsletters, you’ll see a newsletter about this subject.

ETA newsletter #138

Worth reading. Could be a (relatively) inexpensive touch screen chart plotter, but that’s for you to decide.

Mike

Last edited:
bfloyd4445 said:
Brazil? Thats a nice cruise. How many stops do you plan to make on the way?

A lot, each isle that I can. I think that we'll arrive at Fortaleza, North is Brazil in about 45 days

Ron, even the latest Garmin hardware (7xxx) is going on 3 years old, and is a dinosaur relative to the offerings from other manufacturers. They are great units, to be sure, but spendy and slow IMO.

I just outfit out boat, and I couldn't justify the $1000+ difference between the Garmin 7x against the Raymarine e125 machine.

A lot, each isle that I can. I think that we'll arrive at Fortaleza, North is Brazil in about 45 days

I'm jealous:)..maybe someday i will be able to do that.
Keep us posted on your trip:thumb:

The 7012 in almost $ 5,000, I'd rather the 4xxx or 5xxx.
I found a 4012 for $ 2,300 and 5012, $ 3,200 at Portsupply

I don’t know anything about Ipads or tablet computers.

But I have known Jeff Seigel for years, well before Active Captain started and I trust his judgement. He really likes the Garmin pre-release version of Blue charts for the Ipad.

If you go to activecaptain.com, and click on newsletters, you’ll see a newsletter about this subject.

ETA newsletter #138

Worth reading. Could be a (relatively) inexpensive touch screen chart plotter, but that’s for you to decide.

Mike

What scares me is the price of the charts. Gotten soaked before with that. Navionics has a phone app thats ten bucks and the diferent charts are ten bucks each which u can disolay on your chart plotter if it has anusb or bluetooth. I don't like them on my phone but it is handy but displayed on a ten inch monitor they would be great. Has anyone used this system? A broker showed it to me last week

Savings

Try going to GETFEETWET.COM. Talk to Colin there and tell him my name John Winner as I just ordered a Icom M802 SSB radio from him. I got MANY THOUSANDS SAVINGS there when I commissioned my trawler. Try it (can't hurt)! Hope it helps.:thumb:

I do a lot of fishing and other things.

I would have fish guts and bait all over the screen.

I don't mind pushing a few buttons.

Sd

Sd

But with a touch screen you don't have to worry about the buttons getting stuck because you got fish guts in them.

It's your choice but that's not a valid reason.

Last edited:

Sd

I find the flat screen easier to clean than buttons with there little grooves. A screen just takes a wipe with a damp cloth the buttons take time to clean. My experiance

OK OK I know you're right.

I all ready have the other kind so nothing I can do about it now.

The truth be told I didn't think of that when I bought mine.

sd

OK OK I know you're right.

I all ready have the other kind so nothing I can do about it now.

The truth be told I didn't think of that when I bought mine.

sd

chuckle.....i made the same mistake to save a few bucks also but, i have learned the lesson and the last one i bought was touch screen.

When asking some pros that sell Garmin, I was advised to do nothing until Spring of 2013, when Garmin will be pushing their new line at the Miami Show, and the pricing on the 4 and 5000 series may take a good drop. I've been told this twice now, so I'm waiting. I want to buy both a new suite and a back-up chartplotter/radar combo, so I think I'll wait and see in Feb.

When asking some pros that sell Garmin, I was advised to do nothing until Spring of 2013, when Garmin will be pushing their new line at the Miami Show, and the pricing on the 4 and 5000 series may take a good drop. I've been told this twice now, so I'm waiting. I want to buy both a new suite and a back-up chartplotter/radar combo, so I think I'll wait and see in Feb.
thanks for the info

I have 5012 and like it very much. The large screen allows you to have 3 windows open and not have to squint and stop driving to find what you are looking for on the screen. The touch screen really makes it easy to operate. Maps are not cheap and the vision maps (pricey) with all sorts of aerial images of locks, marinas, and bridges etc. are pricless when you have not been there before.

I don't have anything to compare it to. But I can assure you a large touch sreeen is never to big if you are spending serious time at the helm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom