Old 08-23-2021, 12:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: West coast
Furuno or Garmin

For the new 19Ē chart plotters, radar, etc which is the better system? For a trawler. Iíve heard both opinions, watched Furunoís comparison videos, etc and still am up in the air. Furuno surprisingly is less expensive, slightly.

Just a hypothetical question for now.
bowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Furuno has a history of being bullet proof. This of course does not guaranty that they still are. Furuno has a history of not being intuitive. This of course does not guaranty that they are still difficult to master.

Garmin has a history of giving you more whistles and bells for the money than anyone else. Of course the past does not guaranty the future. Garmin has a history of being very user friendly.

I personally have like all the systems that I have used Garmin, Raymarine, and Furuno. I usually go with the one that makes me the best deal.

While not a fact, it has been my experience that as boats get bigger they tend to drift towards the higher end Furuno equipment.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
After a year of living with a 3-year-old Garmin installation I'm in the process of replacing it with Furuno.

I find the current Furuno software more intuitive for me than Garmin. I prefer the cartography options Furuno supports. Both Furuno and Garmin have unique options -- the set that Furuno offers is more useful to me than the Garmin set.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #4

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Furuno all the way for the above reasons and more. I got their TZ3 and love it!

Garmin are for boats with joy sticks :-)
ofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I have never had a Furuno fail me in over forty years, the best radars are Furuno and while I'm not currently liking my GP 1971f's touch screen much it works great otherwise. My limited exposure to Garmin makes a comparison difficult but they appear to be overpriced due to excessive marketing and have too many proprietary issues for me.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Garmin all the way. Very intuitive and reliable. Goes with my Volvo Pentas.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
After a year of living with a 3-year-old Garmin installation I'm in the process of replacing it with Furuno.
By the way, I had some space on the panel so purchased a Furuno MFD that I mounted next to my existing Garmin setup. I've been able to use them side-by-side for the past few months. I much prefer the Furuno so now I only use the Garmin for radar and the connected video cameras.

Replacing all the Garmin stuff is a project for this winter.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #8

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
A have a full Garmin suite including 3 plotters, open array radar, and auto-pilot.

I think the stuff is very intuitive and I've become comfortable in the Garmin "universe". But I have had a couple of instances of stuff failing prematurely and they are notorious for making obsolete and ceasing support of relatively new equipment.

Furuno has long had a rep for better long-term support, they don't update equipment as often. Their radars are also reputed to be the best or among the best available.

If I were to redo my electronics I would absolutely consider Furuno.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
A have a full Garmin suite including 3 plotters, open array radar, and auto-pilot.

I think the stuff is very intuitive and I've become comfortable in the Garmin "universe". But I have had a couple of instances of stuff failing prematurely and they are notorious for making obsolete and ceasing support of relatively new equipment.

Furuno has long had a rep for better long-term support, they don't update equipment as often. Their radars are also reputed to be the best or among the best available.

If I were to redo my electronics I would absolutely consider Furuno.
Furuno has always been very reliable with excellent support, the majority of larger commercial vessels I've served on used Furuno.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Furuno has always been very reliable with excellent support, the majority of larger commercial vessels I've served on used Furuno.
I think that's also what drives their incredible level of service. You're talking the level commercial requires and then recreational also benefits. It makes Furuno always my first choice.

However, that said, we purchased one boat in 2016 or so that didn't offer Furuno and we got the complete Garmin set up and used in to do the loop and more. Zero complaints and the charts were exceptional on inland waters. The average recreational user would be happy with Garmin but once you've used Furuno, it has you. Now we also use Timezero with our Furuno as it has incredible route planning.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think that's also what drives their incredible level of service. You're talking the level commercial requires and then recreational also benefits. It makes Furuno always my first choice.

However, that said, we purchased one boat in 2016 or so that didn't offer Furuno and we got the complete Garmin set up and used in to do the loop and more. Zero complaints and the charts were exceptional on inland waters. The average recreational user would be happy with Garmin but once you've used Furuno, it has you. Now we also use Timezero with our Furuno as it has incredible route planning.
Elsewhere I asked if anyone uses Olex plotting and mapping software. I've used it for years on commercial boats and used it again last week. When used with AIS and Radar overlay it's fantastic, pretty expensive ($7000.00) but it's so far superior to any other program I've used it's worth it. I've never seen it used outside of commercial applications.https://olex.no/index_en.html
Old 08-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Elsewhere I asked if anyone uses Olex plotting and mapping software. I've used it for years on commercial boats and used it again last week. When used with AIS and Radar overlay it's fantastic, pretty expensive ($7000.00) but it's so far superior to any other program I've used it's worth it. I've never seen it used outside of commercial applications.https://olex.no/index_en.html
Never used it, but we do use Transas and it is heavily used in commercial I believe. It is incredible for offshore and commercial ports but we use other for short coastal runs.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
I see a lot of ECDIS / Plotters on many vessels,
TRANSAS was one of the earliest to market and I still consider it
one of the best.

As far as radars go, Furuno or JRC are on 90%+ of what I see.

That being said I have a Garmin for my 28' boat but would go
Garmin plotter and Furuno (commercial) radar if doing a bigger boat.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #14
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Furuno's tech support team for its commercial products (including the SC50 satellite compass and FA 150 AIS units, but not including any MFDs) is entirely different from the recreational products team. That said, the support from both groups is consistently excellent.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Furuno's tech support team for its commercial products (including the SC50 satellite compass and FA 150 AIS units, but not including any MFDs) is entirely different from the recreational products team. That said, the support from both groups is consistently excellent.
I know it's not the same group, but it's a culture that is established.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Furuno has exceptional after purchase support for current and legacy products.

Garmin has ok support for current products but they do not support legacy products too long after discontinuation.

Furuno products last 20 - 30 years.

Garmin, too new to tell, but does not seem to last as long.

Look at commercial marine; ships, tugs, CG, ferries etc. They tend to install Furuno equipment over other brands.

I sell both Furuno and Garmin in addition to other manufacturers. Furuno has the least installation issues and experience almost no defective returns. I sell more Furuno than Garmin, even though profit on Garmin is greater.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
For me and most of the experienced boaters I know, all conversations about marine electronics begin and end with Furuno. To be fair, I have shopped Garmin alternatives, and came away unsold. Why mess with success?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #18

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I sell more Furuno than Garmin, even though profit on Garmin is greater.
that's why many dealers push Garmin. Garmin have a more aggressive marketing plan but not a better product IMO.
ofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Have had Garmin and used on delivered boats. I still prefer the 16-year old Furuno, especially the radar which is much more controllable. Garmin, is mostly you see what you get with few options to tweak the display.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
that's why many dealers push Garmin. Garmin have a more aggressive marketing plan but not a better product IMO.
I didn't want to say that since I do sell it, when I have to, but is very true.

Most experienced, knowledgeable boaters choose Furuno over Garmin.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote