Furuno or Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would kill to get a look into Iowa's engine and boiler rooms. As far as the electronics suites go, clearly I have much to learn. I am extremely grateful for all the input and advice I have gotten from the "old salts" that litter the pages of this forum. I have always believed in the saying
"Learn from other peoples experiences."

Lucky for you all four of the Iowas are in museum status with tours into the bowels of the beasts available. Iowa in San Pedro, CA; New Jersey in NJ; Missouri in Hawaii standing sentry over the Arizona; and Wisconsin in Norfolk available for loopers.

I dunno about "littering" these pages, but I try to help without making too much of a mess. :socool:

FWIW: Today I was lucky enough to get aboard an Ohio class ballistic missile submarine (USS Alaska, SSBN 732), and was interested to learn that the navigation electronics are all Simrad. Previously I was seeing Furuno aboard U.S. Navy subs. Alaska's assistant navigator said that they have made the switch because of performance. We didn't have a chance to drill-down into the topic, so I'm wondering if procurement factors played a role. Still, it was interesting.

FWIW: Today I was lucky enough to get aboard an Ohio class ballistic missile submarine (USS Alaska, SSBN 732), and was interested to learn that the navigation electronics are all Simrad. Previously I was seeing Furuno aboard U.S. Navy subs. Alaska's assistant navigator said that they have made the switch because of performance. We didn't have a chance to drill-down into the topic, so I'm wondering if procurement factors played a role. Still, it was interesting.

That i s another vessel I would love to tour. I would love to see what it was we were hunting. Although to be fair, I am not sure the Ohio's where in the water yet when I was in the RCN back in the early '80s.

I expect procurement and bidding is a significant factor.

Also, what nav electronics are common between a sub and a surface vessel? I heard that the navy used the Simrad 4G radars as docking aids, kind of like backup cameras on a car. They seem suitable for that.

But what else? GPS? Autopilot? Chart plotter? Sonar? Other than the sonar I'm wonder if anything else would work below the surface. Maybe it's only for surface operation?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom