Old 09-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #81
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks View Post
I have contacted Furuno and TineZero.

TineZero says they may design an auto routing upgrade if their customers demand it but so far that has not been the case.
TimeZero software is available in a few different levels. The top level is designated professional and does include auto-routing, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the level down.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
"To a certain extent, yes. We are dinosaurs. Let's face it. There are generations starting to buy boats who expect to interact with the world solely through their phone, expect self driving and self parking cars, and expect the same thing from a boat." __________________
MVTanglewood.com

So true, I took a family out for a day of training aboard their new to them Hinckey. Dad really struggled with docking by jet-stick, Mom was a bit better and Jr (25yr. old) had the boat in the slip like an old hand.
Upon asking of his experience he said "It's just like a video game".
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #83
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Probably because it android platforms lack the power necessary to run the software (at least at an acceptable speed -- the "zero" in the name is connotes instant screen changes). Even the PC version's minimum system requirements aren't easily satisfied by many older, and even many current PCs -- especially lap top pcs.
No, just flat-out wrong.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #84
Guru

Sonar... that deserves a whole other conversation. On my winter to-do list for investigation & installation.

The TZT3 combined with the SCX-20 allows for creating and saving your own bathyrythmic bottom scans as you travel (which they call PBG personal bathyrythmic graphs). The sat compass apparently allows for precise enough detection to stitch the scans together evenly regardless of how the boat might be pitching around. Handy for fishing as it'll let you get a pretty accurate view of the bottom underneath (and will chart detected fish and show them in the 3D view).

And to clarify, there'd need to be a transducer and DFF-3D unit. That's the 'investigation' part on my to-do list.

For us it'd be more for curiosity's sake. I think it'd be neat to see the seafloor conditions.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

The TZT3 combined with the SCX-20 allows for creating and saving your own bathyrythmic bottom scans as you travel (which they call PBG personal bathyrythmic graphs).
No. Flat out wrong.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #86

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I looked at TimeZero and it looks great. How do you integrate it with Furuno? What type of hardware is needed?

(As to your later post, Iím not putting FLIR in this boat and donít cruise at night. The one I order new I will add it.
)
Doesn't the new Furuno come with Time Zero. Why else name your MFD TZT, Time Zero Touch?
Old 09-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
No. Flat out wrong.
You need the 3D Plotting, Chirp Transducer like the B275, and I believe you need the TZT3 MFD.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #88

Quote:
I think better small target resolution comes as a result of the wider array, not necessarily the power.
I believe the answer is beam angle which generally comes better with the larger arrays.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Sounds like an excellent setup.
I might consider a more feature rich transducer like the B275 with Chirp for such an otherwise extremely robust installation.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cks View Post
I have contacted Furuno and TineZero.
Full disclosure: I have TimeZero on my pc and the limited version on my iPad.
I love this software. Probably the most intuitive piece of Navigation kit Iíve used. Remarkable.
TineZero says they may design an auto routing upgrade if their customers demand it but so far that has not been the case. Furuno woukd probably like it but their priority is to keep making software and hardware improvements to the TZ3 family.

Iím told the Furuno implementation is good but I have yet to see Furuno. I hope to soon.

I have a Garmin display only. I find the menu layers infuriating and have my fingers crossed that I will like the TZ3Touch.

Re. Auto routing.
Nice but hereís the catch, itís only for the small area encompassed by that plug in. Want to go from Long Island Sound to the Cape? Want to head south to Annapolis and points south? Garminís got their hand in your pocket again. Oh well, fork out another $250 for a new chip. Maddening.

From my experience, plotting my course on TineZero is excellent. It keeps me connected to my chart and route. No mods needed because I plotted it out.

Oh itís super hard!!!! I have look at the chart on my touch screen PC and touch for each leg. It sooooo hard! It takes me all of 30 seconds and I pick MY course. It may not be the absolute shortest. I might have gone an extra mile distance compared to Garminís auto routing or what ever itís called, but I am convinced that whatís more important is to be knowledgeable about your chart and course BEFORE you leave the dock. From my experience, this isnít the case with more than a few Garmin users and IMO a safety hazard for all.
My understanding is that all of the charts are resident on the TZT3 MFD. You just pay to unlock.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #91
Veteran Member

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
I might consider a more feature rich transducer like the B275 with Chirp for such an otherwise extremely robust installation.
Whatís the advantage? For someone not fishing.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I looked at TimeZero and it looks great. How do you integrate it with Furuno? What type of hardware is needed?
Like Furuno's TZT3 MFDs, a PC running TZ Professional will require two data connections: an ethernet cable and USB providing NMEA data. It gets a little bit complicated if you have both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 data, but in my case a multiplexer (for 0183), feeding the NMEA2000 network through a converter, did the trick.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #93
Guru

Quote:
You need the 3D Plotting, Chirp Transducer like the B275, and I believe you need the TZT3 MFD.
Yes, as I mentioned previously, I already have two TZT16F units. I've zero experience choosing transducers for this sort of thing, thus it's on my 'to do' list to investigate. Hopefully I'll get it installed when it's on the hard this winter.

There's the questions of which transducers, where they'd be placed in the hull and the how they'd get connected. From what I gather it's possible to feed some models of transducers straight into one of the TZT3 units (and share that to the other via their Ethernet connection).
Old 09-14-2021, 10:47 PM   #94

Quote:
Yes, as I mentioned previously, I already have two TZT16F units. I've zero experience choosing transducers for this sort of thing, thus it's on my 'to do' list to investigate. Hopefully I'll get it installed when it's on the hard this winter.

There's the questions of which transducers, where they'd be placed in the hull and the how they'd get connected. From what I gather it's possible to feed some models of transducers straight into one of the TZT3 units (and share that to the other via their Ethernet connection).
I have been trying to sort through transducers now. Originally thought I wanted Chirp. Might still get it but trying to sort out all of the options of cheaper units is still a bit of a mystery for me. Nothing I can find says "if you want this feature, you need this transducer" unless it is the very expensive stuff. Furuno just doesn't seem to have the bottom imaging I would like without the DFF3 3D black box with the B275 transducer. What about the B265? or B260 or a zillion other options.

Yes you can plug the transducer into the back of the TzT3 MFD unless you want 3D. Then you need a black box. There are black box options but I have not looked into them.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #95
Veteran Member

The reason I’m not going with the dff3 3D mapping is I am not using this trawler to fish. I wish there was another compelling reason as the graphics look cool. Perhaps going through a very narrow channel to see the sides… but nothing really comes to mind for the price difference.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #96
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our new ride came with the previous generation Garmin 7612xsv, including radar and depth, an older Raymarine AP not connected to the plotter, an older ICOM VHF not connected to a GPS... and some other broken stuff.

After I think about it for a while, I'll sort out our complete system-to-be. Another depth finder (or maybe fishfinder), another MFD, AIS... plus another VHF and a loud hailer... with everything actually connected as necessary...

Excepting radios, that build-out could end up being all Furuno (bag the Garmin stuff), or mix-and-match Furuno and Garmin, or more likely all Garmin simply because of the cost of replacing a functioning radar.

But I won't be jumping into that immediately, giving myself more time to use this boat and think about it all, first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've inherited some Garmin bits and pieces, but if I completely replace all that or simply add on some Furuno equipment, one reason will be to take more advantage of a newer version of TZ.

I'm gradually coming to recognize the potential advantages of building out the rest of our nav system with Furuno equipment, when I get a round tuit. That would include another MFD, another GPS source, a fishfinder (or at least DST), and an AIS transceiver.

That would give us a mixed Garmin/Furuno/Raymarine/ICOM system, which at first glance doesn't sound all that focused...

But...

The Garmin radar, GPSMAP 7612xsv MFD, and depth finder all work, an unnecessary radar replacement would be expensive, and the G3 vector charts are at least acceptable. The Raymarine Autopilot works, even if not currently connected to a plotter. The ICOM black box VHF works, even if not currently connected to a GPS source.

Adding a Furuno MFD/GPS would give me more choice of charts (NOAA, C-Map, Navionics) and annual updates at least for NOAA charts. A fishfinder or DST with it's own separate transducer would give me redundancy (and the FF version of that would let me see bottom structure). And AIS transceiver would return a capability we had with the previous boat.

And if the Garmin radar or the Raymarine AP breaks, we'd get Furuno replacements.

Keeping the VHF radios in a separate category, I've had ICOM for a while now, and adding another (with a hailer) will give me redundancy and at the same time a system I'm reasonably familiar with.

I think I could live with a mish-mash...

-Chris
Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #97
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Certain items like autopilot and AIS are pretty brand agnostic in most cases. Use whatever you like best for those, even if it's different than the main systems. There may be some advantages of a same brand AP, but nowhere near as much as what you gain from a well integrated set of MFD, radar, depth, etc.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #98
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I canít think of a reason why I would want auto-routing. I can lay down a route in a minute or less and in the process review potential hazards and issues with currents.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #99

Ok, I pulled the trigger on the Furuno system.

Autopilot 711C
Fish Finding Chirp B265LH transducer for Bottom Discrimination
DRS4DNXT dome radar
TZT3 16 MFD
SCX20 Sat Compass

I'm waiting for the pain of the expense to wear off. I'm really looking forward to all the new capabilities and ease of use.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok, I pulled the trigger on the Furuno system.

Autopilot 711C
Fish Finding Chirp B265LH transducer for Bottom Discrimination
DRS4DNXT dome radar
TZT3 16 MFD
SCX20 Sat Compass

I'm waiting for the pain of the expense to wear off. I'm really looking forward to all the new capabilities and ease of use.
Are you sure about the B265LH?

I don’t believe it’s NMEA 2000, which was important for me for a new install. I went with the DST800L.

The one you selected looks like it’s the older NMEA 0183. That’s a less advanced serial networking topology. I’m not completely certain, but it certainly appears it from the connectors they use.

But you only have one chart plotter where I have many so it’s use to me is more important to have multi talk multi listen.

Plus I have heard reliability issues with the dst800l though I don’t know if they are solved now.

Otherwise we have similar technologies.