Old 10-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Check those shore power connections!

Helped a buddy move his boat today for haul out. He couldn't unplug one of the 30A shore power cords from the boat end, it was stuck. Several tools and a half hour later I had it all apart. It had gotten hot and plastic had melted and fused things together.

The wiring showed significant corrosion. So, that creates resistance which in turn causes heat, as well a voltage drop and then the amps go up to meet the wattage demand and keep the two A/C's (in his case) running.

He got close to a fire there. And, this is where a LOT if not most of the boat fires start.

So check those plugs and make sure they are not overheating!
Old 10-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That is exactly why we went to Smart Plugs on our shore power cords.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Oscar
Its been awhile since I checked the stats but its interesting that more electrical boat fires are due to DC than AC. It goes against what many, myseld included, would think. I dont know but might guess there are more folks messing with DC systems that don't really know marine electrical and ABYC guidelines. Likely they figure its only 12V what can go wrong?
Here's a recent Boat US summary... DC about 3X the # of AC
https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...boat-fires.asp
No argument that boat inlet it worthy of frequent checks and good practices. And if a cord end looks suspect change the boat inlet at the same time. Both go bad and one bad end can damage a new mating one.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I wonder how many drop their cord ends in the water, then try to dry it and simply plug it back in. If it falls in the water you must rinse it out with fresh, and shake it out. I have accidently dropped it at least twice in 20 years. I bought my boat 20 years ago and the cord was old then, but still in ok shape, it does not get hot when used.

My typical amp draw is under 10 amps when there, and if I run ac and something else, it can approach 20 amps, but I dont live at the boat, so that does not happen often. So most of the time the only draw is the AC charger and fridge, so about 2 - 3 amps max all the time
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
DC caused fires probably lead the stats because looking at total numbers, the boats with AC systems are few and far between.....even many of the smaller AC equipped boats have simple systems and many in cooler climatse don't have power hogs like air conditioners and are pulled out of the water before needing heat.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
That is exactly why we went to Smart Plugs on our shore power cords.
While they are without doubt an excellent product, if they connect to marginal boat wiring, as was the case on my friend's boat, they won't make any difference.

Don't know the stats of AC vs DC calamities, but I disagree with the statement that "Boats with AC systems are far and few between." Every boat in my marina has a yellow umbilical to the shore power pedestal and other marinas are similar.

People want, and have, A/C, often multiple, heat, microwave/convection ovens, water heaters, large battery chargers and increasingly cook with electricity.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Don't know the stats of AC vs DC calamities, but I disagree with the statement that "Boats with AC systems are far and few between." Every boat in my marina has a yellow umbilical to the shore power pedestal and other marinas are similar.

Don't forget to account for the multitude of boats that are trailered and either have no A/C power or never get plugged in.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
While they are without doubt an excellent product, if they connect to marginal boat wiring, as was the case on my friend's boat, they won't make any difference.

People want, and have, A/C, often multiple, heat, microwave/convection ovens, water heaters, large battery chargers and increasingly cook with electricity.
So you think nationwide the majority of boats in the US are even in marinas?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #9

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
Quote:
The wiring showed significant corrosion. So, that creates resistance which in turn causes heat, as well a voltage drop and then the amps go up to meet the wattage demand and keep the two A/C's (in his case) running.
Pitting on the connector blades also causes significant resistance. Pitting is caused by unplugging the cord without shutting of the breaker in the pedestal FIRST! The spark that jumps from the live outlet to the cord, on the dock and onboard, takes a small bit of metal each time it is unplugged. This makes the contact area pitted (less contact more resistance) thus heat.
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Oscar
Its been awhile since I checked the stats but its interesting that more electrical boat fires are due to DC than AC. It goes against what many, myseld included, would think. I dont know but might guess there are more folks messing with DC systems that don't really know marine electrical and ABYC guidelines. Likely they figure its only 12V what can go wrong?
Here's a recent Boat US summary... DC about 3X the # of AC
https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...boat-fires.asp
No argument that boat inlet it worthy of frequent checks and good practices. And if a cord end looks suspect change the boat inlet at the same time. Both go bad and one bad end can damage a new mating one.

It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at the boatus data, but it suffered from being a summary. It did not allow interrogation of the denominator for those stats. Think of it this way, there are a,greater numbers of small boats than trawler style boats and even boats with shore power only a small percentage use it in the way the typical trawler does. So their statistic while true, is not as applicable to the typical marina with a bunch of floating boats around 30 to 60 feet in size. I’d like to see the numbers with an appropriate classification.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Don't forget to account for the multitude of boats that are trailered and either have no A/C power or never get plugged in.
Fair enough. But this point, and the others like it, are academic and not germane to the thread, ie the usual argument for argument's sake.

The point of this thread was for those that DO have shore power, which includes MOST of the people on this forum based on the avatars I see, to keep a very close eye on them as they are frequently the cause of fire on vessels so equipped.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #12

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
[snip]
This is a weather v. climate statement. AC shore power dominant for the boats observed in a marina but at least here in Washington, boats in a marina are the vast minority overall. We have an estimated 243,000 registered recreational boats (updated 2020 number) and over 90% of them are trailerable and 26 ft or less.

"The most representative boat in the Washington fleet is an 18′ fiberglass or plastic-hulled runabout powered by one or more gasoline outboard motors."

Some interesting stats collected over at the UW sea grant site:

https://wsg.washington.edu/community...te-boat-fleet/

-tozz
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #13

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
I went to Smart Plugs after this almost burned up my boat. Upgraded interior main wiring as well. I am usually fastidious when it comes to my connections. My Portuguese Bridge door hit my cables and shook one loose. That won't happen again.
Attached Thumbnails
20200224_150835.jpg   20200224_150806_resized.jpg   20200223_141054_resized.jpg  
Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Redhook, you were lucky in dodging one there!! I am happy that you did.
Good advice on turning off the breakers before unplugging (disconnecting), and ensure that they are off when first plugging in as well. Connect or disconnect in the correct order as well, but not as important if all power is off.

I am surprised at how often I see people walking along the dock with a live cord end in their hands! Not only dangerous, but could, overtime lead to an overheat as discussed.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Good advice on turning off the breakers before unplugging (disconnecting), and ensure that they are off when first plugging in as well.
Unless, like in my case, you have separate selector switches. No need to also turn off the breaker. Nothing is connected until you move the selector from GEN to SHORE or vice versa. Every boat is different.
Attached Thumbnails
AC Source Panel.jpg  
Old 10-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #16
Guru

Sure enough Oscar, but the general principle still applies.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
Guru

Ever notice how many melted plugs are reported/seen/encountered....but how few boat fires from that situation ever occur?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Ever notice how many melted plugs are reported/seen/encountered....but how few boat fires from that situation ever occur?
And you have data for this?

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2018...s-on-boats.asp
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
Guru

Probably very true PS, but not a chance I feel should be taken. The boat next to me at an overnight dock had a small fire caused by this. Lucky, they woke up and dealt with it! They heard the popping and crackling near their berth/bed.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Just like your comment on most boats use AC...laughable.

No, I dont have stats and neither do you on melted plug ends, just real life experience and common sense. Like most dangers in life, the ultimate outcome is rare...thus the term "close call".

True, no one wants melted plugs or worse fire....but TF has to be one of the most fearmongering sources of info I frequent...granted I don't frequent many as my life revolves around boating both personally and professionally. So I keep to my lane most of the time.....comment on things close to my experience.