Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Titusville,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
Furuno 1750 radar

Hi to all,
We have an old Furuno 1750 radar. The crt works fine but the antenna quit rotating. Has anyone had this problems or can someone point me in a direction to start trouble shooting. The manual gives very little detail on this.

Thanks
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Does yours have a toggle on/off switch on the back of the CRT? Some models did but honestly that model is so old I cant remember if it did or not. Maybe you got lucky & the switch is off!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Don't know you machine at all..

Have you looked inside the cover. Maybe the belt has slipped or broken or a pulley is loose.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami
Have you checked the scanner belt? It goes around a synchronous motor just like a 1970ís turntable.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks so much, I knew someone could help. I will check the belt an switch asap.
again thanks to everyone.
Gordo
Old 04-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Guru

Furunos are notorious for the motor freezing up as in corrosion.
Happened to both Furunos I have owned and one my friend owned plus more at our dock.
So far never had a replacement motor lock up.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
The 1750 is an open antenna and doesn't have a belt. The dome antennas do.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Guru

I have the smaller open array unit. Sometimes after sitting for awhile I have to turn it on and just go up and give a tug on the antenna and then it will usually start to turn
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #9

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mischief Maker
Vessel Model: Uniflite CC 37
Check and make sure the brushes on the bottom of the rotation motor are free, and the commutator is clean
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
On most open arrays the sealing gaskets become brittle and crack with age. If you do lift the case apart it would be good to have new sealing rings/gaskets ready to use.

Be sure to clean out the mating grooves very well before re-installing. Moisture and time does these units in, no matter what the brand.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
I had the same unit, my problem was one of the boards went bad, no replacements. The open aray should have four bolts that hold the case top and antenna, it’s hinged so you can open it for repairs. It’s a very well built unit, gear drive antenna, I would turn the antenna by hand , should turn freely. Next check the antenna cable connections, multy wires to pin plug connecters for corrosion, loose connection, also clean the other end of the antenna cable pin plug connection on back of the display. With no parts available from Furuno I finnally had to deep six mine and order a new radar, hope you have better luck. There are some cannabalized parts for sale on ebay.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I had the same unit, my problem was one of the boards went bad, no replacements. The open aray should have four bolts that hold the case top and antenna, itís hinged so you can open it for repairs. Itís a very well built unit, gear drive antenna, I would turn the antenna by hand , should turn freely. Next check the antenna cable connections, multy wires to pin plug connecters for corrosion, loose connection, also clean the other end of the antenna cable pin plug connection on back of the display. With no parts available from Furuno I finnally had to deep six mine and order a new radar, hope you have better luck. There are some cannabalized parts for sale on ebay.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I had the same issue with my 1930. The dealer's tech was visiting the marina for another job and stopped by for a look. He was not sure whether it was the stepper motor or a circuit board. Further checking in their lab would have mounted cost all too quickly, and then there was the parts availability issue. So I replaced it.

Good luck with trying out some of the ideas mentioned above by other posters. You might just get lucky!

I put my 1930 on eBay. A guy 1300 miles away wanted the cable for his own system, but also took the CRT. He did not want the scanner, probably due to freight cost. That thing was large, awkward and heavy! I put the scanner back on eBay and a guy 1000 miles away bid $1. I said 'it all yours'! Within a couple of weeks he had a trucker mate call by my house to pick it up. I was glad it was going somewhere that parts might be used rather than just straight into the dumpster!