Funny composite pix of waterways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I happened to be trying yet another boating social media app and scrolled over near our home port.

Now, there's lots of interesting discoveries made with satellite photography.

But just as often there are "interesting" artifacts that get put into the picture when several images are 'stitched together'. I'd be like, wait, what, there's something SUNK back there?

No, just the side-effect of the imaging system as it pieces together many pictures taken over the same area.

Attachments

• sunk on back creek.jpg
    sunk on back creek.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 65
I agree. I use Google satellite photos a lot to evaluate potential stopover marinas and to assess how best to prepare. Very useful. But the ”ghost images” can be creepy!

I happened to be trying yet another boating social media app and scrolled over near our home port.

Now, there's lots of interesting discoveries made with satellite photography.

But just as often there are "interesting" artifacts that get put into the picture when several images are 'stitched together'. I'd be like, wait, what, there's something SUNK back there?

No, just the side-effect of the imaging system as it pieces together many pictures taken over the same area.

We were anchored in that exact spot in 2006. Our boat (Hylas 49) was in the Annapolis boat show and we anchored there either before or after (don't remember which). I do remember that they had a very rare tornado one night. Several boatshow boats were damaged and we dragged our anchors (Spade and Delta) all across the space shown in your photo. When we got close to the marina on the right, I started the engine and we idled for the rest of the night to take the strain off the anchors.

It was a frightening experience as we were new owners of a new boat which we had only picked up in Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks earlier.

~A

...But the ”ghost images” can be creepy!

Heh, if I had that sailboat, shown half-sunk, I'd about have a coronary if that came up when checking the satellite view!

Our boat (just out of the frame) appeared fine, but the location of it tells me the pix were taken sometime in 2018-2019, not 2020. It was in a different slip from 2020-04 onward.

Back
Top Bottom