Forward scanning sonar built in hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traderjoe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lele Wai
Vessel Make
1980 Chun Wah
My first haul out I was surprised to find a cone like addition to my hull about 1.5 feet long. I was told it was forward scanning sonar. The hardware looking like a gear box is built into the hull is still in engine room.

Has anyone replaced this device? I am thinking it is old school. But can it be useful?

Can a modern transducer be mounted in the cone?

Can I take out the hardware built in easily?

Thank you in advance for any expertise or incite.

Mahalo!
Joe

Sounds like you are describing a typical Furuno or Wesmar searchlight sonar. I have the Furuno CH250. The transducer is mounted to the end of a shaft that is hydraulically deployed through the cone. I had one installed in my last boat and liked it enough that I didn't hesitate to spec one for the current boat. I use it primarily for finding fish, as shallow water is rarely a problem on the west coast. There were plenty of times I used it for navigation in the PNW. It is also good for avoiding logs and other large debris.

Some pics would be helpful

First haul out brought this to your attention? Not the survey or other "just what do I have to maintain" looks-around? I mean, I get that some things might skip notice, but that's kinda obvious wasn't it?

Back
Top Bottom