First Foray into Marine Radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you angle it down, you don't lose visibility when not on plane, at least if you do it right. A radar can typically see about 12 degrees up and 12 degrees down from horizontal. Without the angle, it's very common for boats on plane, or coming up onto plane, to be angled up more than the 12 deg that the radar can see. The wedge takes a away a little of the upward visibility and adds it to the downward visibility.

:iagree:

When installing for a marine electronics firm, we evaluated the type of boat and tilted accordingly.

You never want to loose close in targets and any beam shooting above the horizon is wasted (alowing for some swell or unusual vessel loading).

Folks who run the ICW often use their radar to monitor faster-running traffic approaching from the stern rather than having to frequently to turn around to see what is going on.
Just a thought about mounting the radome on the front of the bridge brow, we had one mounted there on a previous boat by the PO. It had a significant dead spot to the stern. And some say that the radar emissions could be hazardous to the health of a couple of things very personal, maybe yes maybe no. Glad it is working for you. Every now and then you win one!

Folks who run the ICW often use their radar to monitor faster-running traffic approaching from the stern rather than having to frequently to turn around to see what is going on.

I usually don't and usually didn't based on experience...even after 8 years of snowbirding and many years of delivering boats on the ICW...found it doesn't change much unless I want to zig zag (not rules compliant) to slow them down. Like I was taught in drivers ed..worry more about what is in front than in the rear and the rules conform to that concept. Yet the rules aren't really about small boat traffic in ICW situations so......

It would give a heads up but not change the passing behavior... so the real question is the boat ready? By the time they are passing, my peripheral vision allows enough time to react to most wakes anyhow.

Last edited:
True enough but I sometimes keep the radar overlayed on the chart so it's there if I want to check. I once encountered a sport fisherman blasting through the narrow channel north of the Onslow Beach Bridge throwing a huge wake. Fortunately, he was coming the opposite way (south) so I was ready for him and we heard the angry calls on the VHF from other boaters north of us. Had he been approaching from the rear I would have kinda liked to know he was approaching. Of course, that jerk got to the bridge and had to wait for the opening anyway. I think the bridge tender there heard all of the angry calls and made certain he would have to wait.
I usually don't and usually didn't based on experience...even after 8 years of snowbirding and many years of delivering boats on the ICW...found it doesn't change much unless I want to zig zag (not rules compliant) to slow them down. Like I was taught in drivers ed..worry more about what is in front than in the rear and the rules conform to that concept. Yet the rules aren't really about small boat traffic in ICW situations so......

It would give a heads up but not change the passing behavior... so the real question is the boat ready? By the time they are passing, my peripheral vision allows enough time to react to most wakes anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom