Festoon LED nav lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 2 of these guys for anchor lights. They are solar rechargeable,
Automatic on and off, dusk to daylight. They will last 3 nights with no sunshine to charge them during the day. i just put one on the top of the house toward the front and one toward the back. Very bright, hopefully they will keep a crabber running with the throttle in the corner at 3AM from ramming me.

S8LF - ESAFETY LIGHTS, LLC​                    1-800-236-8621

In the morning I take them down and put them in the cockpit to charge in the sunlight. Note the ON/OFF switch must be left on for them to charge.

Great lights.

I think a light bulb has to be amazingly bad to not be seen over a substantial distance if you are to believe snipers. According to snipers cigarette glow can be seen for a mile or more and if you can see that tiny point of light over a distance, then just about any light bulb will work in terms of observation.

I think a light bulb has to be amazingly bad to not be seen over a substantial distance if you are to believe snipers. According to snipers cigarette glow can be seen for a mile or more and if you can see that tiny point of light over a distance, then just about any light bulb will work in terms of observation.

That cigarette at a mile example is in true darkness. Near shore, it's rarely truly dark. When there are a bunch of other light sources around, it becomes dramatically harder to see something small like a nav light. The bigger and brighter it is, the more easily it will be seen among the other light spots and general background light.

In proper conditions you can detect a light with as few a 60 photons hitting the eye.

I use 2 of these guys for anchor lights. They are solar rechargeable,
Automatic on and off, dusk to daylight. They will last 3 nights with no sunshine to charge them during the day. i just put one on the top of the house toward the front and one toward the back. Very bright, hopefully they will keep a crabber running with the throttle in the corner at 3AM from ramming me.

S8LF - ESAFETY LIGHTS, LLC​ Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*1-800-236-8621

In the morning I take them down and put them in the cockpit to charge in the sunlight. Note the ON/OFF switch must be left on for them to charge.

Great lights.

If the lights are solar charged, why do you have to take them down and put them in the cockpit to charge?!? Aren't they in the Sunlight where they are positioned at night? Confused . . . :confused:

"There's also the USCG regulations that says they have to be seen from 2NM..."

I believe the Coasties as well as the rest of the worlds rules require the lights be demonstrated to work at a certain minimum distance as manufactured.

You are on your own when installing a different bulb.

Agreed, the "USCG 2nm" label on nav lights is valid only as a complete product, with the originally specified bulb, regardless of what after market LED bulb manufacturers say or advertise. If you change the bulb to an LED it is no longer USCG certified. While the chances are slim, if you have a nighttime collision, you could be held responsible. Some nav light manufacturers, including AquaSignal, have released bulletins warning users to not make this change. Of course they have a dog in the fight, as they sell LED nav lights, but they are the manufacturer.

In 25 yrs of doing Safety Checks at our YC, I have come across far more lens failures than bulb failures. Those failures typically result in the light being absorbed by the opaque lens to the point that at 2 nm there wouldn't be visibility at all.
Coloured lenses are typically made of plastic, which degrades with UV exposure.
If you are considering a change to LED, check your fixture to see if it needs a new lens first.

+1 When we were considering changing the anchor light to LED, that is what we found. The lens was crazed from UV and it was time to replace that. It turned out the cost of a new LED mast light wasn't much more than sourcing the replacement lens and an aftermarket bulb to try to retrofit the old one... it was a no-brainer - we just bought the new LED mast light.

Someone had already replaced the nav lights more recently, unfortunately still with incandescents, but we'll stick with them until the lenses need to go then do the full fixture LED replacement again...

We have replaced all our festoon deck lights with LED, plus every bulb inside as well (everything that might be turned on when the engines are off aware from the dock.). I figure the nav lights are using more current, but only if I'm running the engines so the power draw is not an issue.

Last edited:
One other good point about LED lights, especially nav lights: they're cool!! (I.e. not hot!)

Hands, bumpers, lines, etc. sometimes make contact with lights. Nothing gets burned touching an LED light. I've seen more than one lens that suffered from being over heated...

The 'International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea' stipulate the specification of nav lights. Nav lights which meets this spec will have been tested and if approved, will have an approval certificate. If you buy a light and it doesn't have a certificate, it will not be approved - something insurance companies are aware. It's already been said in this post that insurers look for ways to deny claims.

Coast guard put out a article warning that some led’s will cause interference with vhf radios and ais

I tried LED festoon bulbs in my nav lights. They were much dimmer than the originals and that was a safety concern. Not good. Still had intermittent operation due to corrosion on terminals. Also not good.

Finally replaced side lights, stern and mast head lights with factory LED units. I think the side lights are Aqua Signal. They are BRIGHT!! Can tell they are on (at night, of course) by the reflection of the red and green from things nearby. With the old festoon units I would have to crawl out to the side deck to check if they were on. And then get a screwdriver and a bulb to get them to work. Kept a bowl of bulbs in the galley drawer and got seriously tired of that. No more, the LED's have been rock solid for last two years.

No problem with VHF interference. VHF antenna is right next to the port side light.

I also have the unit LED side lights and will be interested to see their longevity, but boy oh boy are they bright. Makes so much more sense that the ridiculous old incandescent fixtures with their vulnerable lenses and screw-in or clip on light bulbs with corrosion points aplenty.

If the lights are solar charged, why do you have to take them down and put them in the cockpit to charge?!? Aren't they in the Sunlight where they are positioned at night? Confused . . . :confused:

I take them down since they are just sitting up there on the pilot house roof and would likely fall off when I hit a wave. They could be attached with epoxy no doubt, but for me it is just easier to move them. Plus while running at night they would come on the could be confusing to other boats.

That cigarette at a mile example is in true darkness. Near shore, it's rarely truly dark. When there are a bunch of other light sources around, it becomes dramatically harder to see something small like a nav light. The bigger and brighter it is, the more easily it will be seen among the other light spots and general background light

I used to hang out with alcoholic hospital administrators from Vancouver General Hospital back in the 70's. A friend of mine bought a Taiwanese built sailboat, heavy displacement 37 feet. When it came to going out in just about anything, we were undaunted. He kept his boat at Pt. Roberts as there was a Canadian rule that if you brought back a boat older than two years, you didn't have to pay duty on it. Many boats at that time in Pt. Roberts were Canadian, waiting out the required time before being brought in country.

We would leave work at 4:30, drive to Pt. Roberts, climb aboard in late October, November, December, January through to the end of march. Due to sunset times in the fall, winter and spring, we were leaving in the dark and arriving at Friday or Roche Harbor in the dark.

At one point, I realized I had done more sailing in the dark under some heavy weather across the Strait of Georgia than in the light. This encouraged me to sail with leased boats from friends I used and eventually my own sailboat in the dark.

I never had any problems making out running lights. A few times I would have cheerfully exploded at barge towers whose barge was either absent a light, the battery have long ago died. Or a stern light on the barge so dim even a sniper couldn't make it out.

The only other time I had a problem was at night in the summer. I had taken out a Tanzer 26 sailboat solo just to putter around under power to see the night lights from Vancouver and North Vancouver. As I was mucking about this very bright blinding, kind of orange light, begins to close on me at a very high rate of speed. I get in a dither for about 30 seconds as the light doesn't make sense and it is a light moving faster than anything I had seen moving in Vancouver Harbour.

Now Vancouver Harbour is very busy, even in the evening. Aircraft are taking off and landing, the Seabuses are running. Freighters and container ships are at anchor and moving about usually under tug power. There are charter boat tours, dinner cruises, pleasure cruisers, etc. And I was used to all this which was why this light had me is a dizzy because I didn't know what it meant, and whether I was in the landing area of an aircraft since it was moving so fast.

Turned out to be an idiot cigarette boat owner who had more boat than brains. He obviously didn't appreciate lights mean something on crafts at night. Had no idea this bright spot light mount right on the bow was blinding and was moving far to fast than the area, situation and traffic warranted. As he moved on, I only wished him the worst of luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom